Why are people saying this show is 'for kids'?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by ObiWanJedi93, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Master

star 4
    George Lucas even said himself it is more of a PG-13 show than for kids.

"It's very much Star Wars. It's not a, you know, South Park comedy. It's not a baby girls show like Hannah Montana. It's sort of the first dramatic animated show that is, um, PG-13, so it doesn't really go on late night, it doesn't go on Saturday afternoon, it actually doesn't go anywhere. I don't know what we're gonna do with it, but we're having a hell of a lot of... a great time making it."

In my opinion, SW isn't meant for kids, which is what a lot of people think. I think it is more of the older range like teens and older. I mean, the kids like it, but it is like Family Guy. Lots of little kids watch that, but it is aimed for a more mature audience.
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. Star Wars is enjoyable for all ages, though, this isn't a kids show. Anyone who thinks that is just trolling, basically. It's their way of insulting people who enjoy the show, same was true with TPM, but those people weren't just trolls they were also idiots -- calling a movie a "kids movie" when it has extensive politics in it, religion, philosophy, foreshadowing, etc. just proves you're a total moron.
  3. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Ahsoka is what pushes the show into "for kids" territory for some people. She definitely comes across as a character that exists solely so that kids will have somebody to relate to.

Still, I agree with you. The "ESB is the only true SW movie!" crowd may scoff and call it a kiddie show, but it's definitely more for general audiences. Compare it to any other kid's adventure show and you'll see a clear difference--not just in violence, but also in story and characters and overall intensity.
  4. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    That's funny, I know a lot of older guys who like Ahsoka, so I thought they put her in there for the guys who ignore the fact she's probably underage and instead focus on the fact she's cute in a Miley Cyrus sort of way ;)
  5. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I agree there were some dark and mature aspects to the premiere shows that weren't entirely appropriate for small children. However, when you look at the merchandising for the Clone Wars, which is a huge part of the Lucas business model, then you have to believe he's aiming the brand at children as well as teens and adults.

So far, the Clone Wars series is very decent family entertainment. My kids like it, and I enjoy watching it with them. I used Star Wars books to help my first child learn how to read - it's been a part of our family life for many years. Lucas knows that much of his original audience from the classic trilogy are now parents like me.
  6. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    So Jabba, Lucas has redeamed somewhat with you?
  7. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Hmmmm... I actually took the first two episodes, as well as the movie, to be targeted toward kids more than adults. Which is kinda a problem, seeing is the target audience is divided.

I'm not saying you can't have a good kids show/film that adults can't enjoy. Pixar does it all the time. But this show still seems more for kids than anything right now, and there's really nothing in the story that's making it particularly interesting for adults. The stories so far have been... well... meh. I mean, I liked them, but they haven't done anything unique yet.

I have the distinct impression that they're gauging their audience right now (not knowing what time the show would air at until recently probably contributed to that). And it's probably the smartest thing to do. It might deter the hard-core fans at first, but they'll mosey on back once the show picks up the pace.
  8. Redfivee Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I think the shows for all ages but aimed at kids with the silly humor,which unfortunatly mostly doesnt work.
  9. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't know. I'm 20 and generally found it funny. Not hilarious, but amusing.

Anyway, when all is said and done, these films remind me a lot of the original movies...which many people said were for kids.

Course, the deaths of the clones in the pod really caught me off guard....
  10. Ludo_Kressh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, certain aspects of it, but as a thirty-something, I'm enjoying it thus far...then again, it is Star Wars!:p
  11. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So Jabba, Lucas has redeamed somewhat with you?

Yes.

My youngest loved the Clone Wars movie and is really excited about the series. I just watched TPM (for the first time since 1999) with my youngest - and he loved that too. It's mostly about enjoying it with him, although I think the tv series has started out very, very well from the point of view of my own selfish enjoyment.
  12. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4
    As I said over in Lit; I grew up with shows like Robotech, and CN has shown other Anime programs that have more violence than most cartoons on network television. Does this show have a singular age group targeted? No, I think not, but I must say that in a show about war that the creators have not flinched in showing that in war people die. Has what has been shown too much for kids? I don't think so. I grew up with Robotech where people were crushed by debris, stepped on by giant mecha, burned alive in their cockpits, etc.

TCW doesn't go that far, but it does show that in war people die, and while there may be a fine line to walk, I think the creators do so fairly well, imo.
  13. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    What's wrong with it being primarily for kids? I agree that it is walking a fine line. It has the eye candy and the clone/Jedi relationships for adults and it has Ahsoka saving the day for the kids. I grew to really like her in Traviss' novelization but when you look at the work that is being done at Dark Horse comics, one can really see that TCW TV show lacks a certain amount of adult nuance so far. That's fine but the show looks like it will also lack long arcs which attract older viewers.
  14. SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Master

star 4
    The OLD Clone Wars series, written and animated by Tartokosky of Samurai Jack fame was aimed at kids, adults, and teens. It had complex plots, menacing characters, and good interaction. Asajj Ventress, Durge, and Grevious were actually menacing, unstoppable enemies in the series.

However, Lucas's version is...well aimed for kids. Despite what he says, kids are the primary audience. The Droid Humor, Ventress's lack of...menace, Grevious his bumbling Episode III self...all point to being aimed for kids than adults. Not only that, Ashoka is one of the most blatant Mary Sues ever, I think she'll actually replace Wesley Crusher as a most hated kid in Sci Fi.
  15. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait wait wait...did you really just say that GT's microseries had "complex plots"? Are you nuts? There was pretty much no plot at all!
  16. Obi-Mcfly Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have to completely agree with the guy above me, what plot was there in GT's Clone Wars? Obi-Wan leads a big battle, Anakin fights someone, and Mace annhilates droids, without us knowing why. The second season had a little more plot, but it was allready done by Lucas for the most part. Chancellor kidnapped, tons of fights to try and get him back. Anakin's plot might have been alirght, if not for the giant, mutant, green dogs, which pushed it more into the stupid territory, though ghost hand was alright.
    Ventrees was more menacing in GT's? All she did was fight some guys, appear in a ship, and fight Anakin. How's that more meancing then in TCW? Did you watch Ambush? Yeah, from what he have seen so far, Grevious hasn't taken out Jedi yet, but I woulnd't call him bumbling just becasue of that. And remember this is Lucas' show, and Grevious was always supposed to be a coward. Personally, I like him better in Episodes 3 than in the animated series. Can't fault you on Ashoka though, I've benn thinking the exact same thing. It's like she can do absolutley no wrong. Yup, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
  17. Darthbane2007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Uh yeah, I'm going to need you to stop smoking the hookah please.

GT's Clone Wars series was good, but even now I have to say that it ws greatly exaggerated. For one, it didn't last long enough, and the episodes were too short, being only 3-5 minutes.

Grievous, Asajj, Durge were all over the top. I'm still having trouble seeing how a non force using droid like Grievous is able to hold back 5 jedi at once just by spinning around. Asajj was like " I want to be sith so bad; Jedi will fall! They suck!" Every single minue she was on screen, Durge was only in 3-4 episodes. The Jedi had powers like superman. Seriously, if Mace could do what he did to the SBDs on dantooine to the ones on Geonosis, 183 jedi would still be alive today.

With the TCW, i'm hopeful. The length of the episodes are at the usual 22 minutes, so now we get to see more of the background characters get fleshed out. We can get more plots in as well.
  18. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    While i still think its a family show for all ages I like the fact that its targeted at kids first, because this fanbase needs some more new and young fans rather than a bunch of 25-40 year olds debating over a kids cartoon show (lol:p), i think the clone wars show is just right though, for now.;)
  19. Giolon05 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What just blows my mind is how with so many elements screaming at being aimed for children (the simple plots, the dialogue, the droid humor, Ahsoka, the merchandising, need I go on?), the show airs at 9pm? I was lucky if my parents ever let me stay up past 8:00 until I was practically in high school!
  20. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, Your childhood must have been no fun:p
  21. Biddybot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I finally saw the first TV ep of this series earlier this evening courtesy of ATV(CTV). Sorry, it IS a kids' show, specifically one aimed at 8-12 year olds. I guessed they were going for a 'tween' audience as soon as I saw the character designs some months ago, and the level of the dialog and lack of story complexity I just saw only reinforces that opinion.

Now, whether it's going to be a good kids' show that adults can also enjoy...I dunno yet. Though a humour fan, I found the yuks in this first ep almost painfully obvious and overstated and was likewise annoyed by some unnecessary chat uttered for no other reason than to needlessly establish who was good and who was bad (as if even teeny kids couldn't tell just by the look of the characters, sheesh!). A different CG kid's show that I love, Beast Wars/Beasties, used to be rated as 8+ back when it was airing regularly in Canada and The Clone Wars just got a 14+, but right now TCW seems by far to be the more immaturely written of the two, the more 'childish' and simple of the two childrens' shows as it were, and that's not a good sign. Oh well, maybe it'll pick up. I think you have to watch a minimum of three eps, maybe even five, before you can really judge a series fairly anyway...

If you want a very specific example of 'childishness' and why some people are considering TCW a kids' show, just check out the new redone background for the Grievous character as compared to the one he had for the movies, etc. All the 'grey' morality revolving about the Jedi/Galactic Republic supporting a former enemy of Grievous and his people is now gone and his motivation for being a bad guy has been much simplified. That's typical just-for-kids writing in action.
  22. ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Master

star 4
    While that stuff is true, GL only puts it in there so kids can also enjoy it and attract more fans. But GL himself said it's a PG-13 type show, so it must mean it is for teens+. I am 18 and love SW to death. I collect the action figures, get all the merchandise. I love the CLone Wars series as well, and find it more in the range of the teens and older section.
  23. SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Master

star 4
    If he really wanted to make it a more PG-13 style show, he'd have *wrote* it that way. Minus the droid humor. Minus the unthreatening villains (Grevious and Ventress). He'd have gotten people to write it like Avatar: The Last Airbender, basically.
  24. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Being a kids show isn't a bad thing.

Dexter's Lab and Justice League were for kids.

There's a variance for what kids qualify as.

I think this is family entertainment though.
  25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like how in this thread there are people saying that "It's for kids" is a trollish way of attacking TCW, whereas in MANY other threads, "It's for kids" is used not by those criticizing the PT/TCW but as a catch-all defense against any criticism. "Of course it's silly, it's a kids' show", "Your opinion isn't important, because you're older than the target audience", etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.