main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are people so shocked he killed the Younglings?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by OnyxRose, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    As usual, NoONE you make an absolutely astute and balanced post. :)

And I don't know what you're insuating here, but....were that true, there would be a LOT of banned people. ;) This forum hates Anakin. Although its always wise to watch comments such as "those who defend him". That means we're talking about fans, not the film. And in the words of Jar Jar, that is bombad. ;)

3. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    When Anakin went on the ramage in the Tusken villiage, it wasn't presented as a big, shocking event. The victims were unsympathetic, the slaughter itself was offscreen, and the reaction of the one person Anakin told of it in AOTC, Padme, was a non-reaction. I encountered many people who posted very sympathetic resposes along the lines of "if they killed my mom, I'd kill a village too". The OMG Feel Sorry for Ani response.
    Perhaps GL felt he really had to show Anakin doing the utterly unforgiveable to prevent this wellspring of sympathy from happening again. But even after killing children, he still gets some.

And I don't love or hate Anakin; he's a fascinating character. To me, the opposite of uncritical understanding isn't "hatred".

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Perhaps GL felt he really had to show Anakin doing the utterly unforgiveable to prevent this wellspring of sympathy from happening again. But even after killing children, he still gets some.

That would be because GL does it himself, in many quotes from many articles. I'd bet Sinister can pull up a few, but I'm not intertested in the argument enough myself to do it.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    That's an interesting point. Proof positive that if you're good looking you can do anything.

Don't I know it. [face_mischief]

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Roland. o_O Are you saying that women (and men) that see some of the sympathetic aspect of Anakin's characters only do it because HC is good looking? o_O

7. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    I agree with you on that point. When I read Rick McCallum say (about ROTS in the SciFi channel mag) that when people watch ANH now, they'll say "oh, that poor guy is still in the suit" it bothers me. They both show him as a evil child killer and see him as "that poor guy" - so that confustion spills over into the movie and the audience.

8. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    ?The thing with the kids is necessary to establish how far down the road he?d come (Anakin) to do something that, this brutal and barbaric and it had to be in there but I definitely didn?t want to show it. It was really in the editorial process that the idea of inter-cutting her (Padme) with him when he?s at his very worst with her worrying about him. That juxtaposition works quite well cos? it reflects as much on the slaughter of the children as it does on her concerns about him even though she doesn?t know the children have been slaughtered. There is a strong emotional connection when those sequences are pushed up against each other? - GL

9. R2_Did_Who

R2_Did_Who Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    "That would be because GL does it himself, in many quotes from many articles. I'd bet Sinister can pull up a few, but I'm not intertested in the argument enough myself to do it."

Oh, please no quotes....

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    LOL! Obi-Frans already did it! [face_laugh]

If you check out the Chosen One Documentary, George pretty much says everything that needs to be said about understanding the Anakin character (I believe he considers him his masterpeice), and coming from the man himself, it was pretty powerful and puts the saga and Vader in a new light. I like it even more than before (as much as I liked it before). [face_batting]

11. R2_Did_Who

Dec 19, 2005

Plenty worse that on going on nowadays..........;)

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    And i'll do it again [face_skull]

What's the fuss about using Lucas quotes? Didn't he write all of this :confused:

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I didn't say that at all. Sympathy I can understand. But there is a small chosen few (none of whom post in this forum to my knowledge) who sent marriage proposals to Ted Bundy and more recently Scott Peterson. Ignoring the attrocities they committed because they are (in)famous and somewhat good looking. It's a known factor.

14. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004

Well there are some here who can't seem to make a posting in a thread without resorting to them all the time. After awhile, makes it seem they rely on them.

15. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    why would he even think of suggesting that ? [face_whistling]

16. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Gee. seems that way to me...........:rolleyes:

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Are you guys baiting a mod, when she's being all nice and cuddly? o_O[face_batting]

Talk about Anakin, please. Not his "fans" or "those that defend him". That is all. :*

18. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    but of course O:)

19. Jedi_Meb

Jedi_Meb Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2005
    I always felt that this scene was completely an evil act of Anakin. Besides the aforementioned acts of the Younglings being defenseless, innocent, etc, the one Youngling who approached him said, "Master Skywalker, there's too many of them!" It is so sad that the one person who referred to him as Master when no other jedi did had to get slaughtered. I think Lucas specifically put that line in there as a sentiment to what Anakin had wanted in the Jedi Order that whole time. =(

20. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Not so much shocked (I was spoiled), but appalled.

21. LavaCake

LavaCake Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    I expected it of him. After all, Maul tried to mow Anakin down on Tatooine, so Anakin just felt there was no problem with a sith killing chubby cherub children. That's what they do.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "You almost come a second too late. You're rushing over to make sure that nothing happens-but your anticipation is that they're going to hurt each other. When the lightning starts things are going from bad to worse from your point of view. And when Mace is going to kill him, you have to act.

Try and increase how uncomfortable you feel as the shot goes on. Try to think back on the Darth Plagueis story-run that through your head. Take it one step further: you realize that by telling the Jedi about Palpatine being a Sith that Padme is going to die. Basically, you just killed her."

--George Lucas To Hayden Christensen, The Making Of ROTS.

"He didn't realize Palpatine was going to kill him (Mace). So up to that point he was trying to do the right thing but now he realizing that with Mace dead, he?s crossed over the line and he sorta succumbs and says 'Yes, I?ll do anything you ask so you can allow me to keep my wife alive.' Then he (Sidious) says 'Ok I?ll do that, but now you have to go and kill all the Jedi. Leave none alive or they will come back and get us - even the kids.'"

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

"There's always this good in you. And the good part is saying 'What am I doing?'. Then the bad part kicks in and says 'I'm doing this for Padme, I'm doing this for the galaxy and so we can have a better life'. But the good part is always saying 'WHAT AM I DOING?!"

--George Lucas to Hayden Christensen, Hyperspace webdoc.

"Anakin on the balcony contemplating what he?s done. This is the first time he actually has a chance to think about what it is that?s happened by himself and the tear here shows that he knows what he?s done, but he?s now committed himself a path that he may not agree with, but he is going to go along anyway.

It?s the one moment that says he?s self aware. He rationalizing all his behavior. He?s doing terrible things. But in the end he really knows the truth. He knows that he?s evil now and there?s nothing he can do about it and that?s the moment where the pathos of him being stuck in that suit is real because if he had to do it over he probably wouldn?t do it but he can't stop it now.

You know where it's going to lead. He knows it will end with a fight with Obi Wan. He knows that Padme not buy into this new reality. He made a pact with the devil and now he?s become the devil.

The sad thing is Padme says there is still good in him and Luke says in ROTJ there is good in you. Its recurring. There is good in him. And that will bring balance to the force. He needs to get rid of the Sith and bring balance to the Force."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

Anakin justifies his killing the Jedi Younglings, because they will come back to kill Palpatine. And if he dies, Padme dies. That's how he's rationalizing it. Palpatine dies=Padme dies and he cannot, will not let that happen. If he has to choose between the Jedi and Padme, he chooses Padme every single time. He is that greedy and selfish. Their lives are insignificant next to her. And by killin them using his anger and hate, he will feel the Dark Side and use it. He won't hold back anymore. He will be embracing the Dark Side, giving himself to it.

Yoda: "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Dooku: "I sense much fear in you, Skywalker. You have anger, you have hate. But you do not use them."

Palpatine: "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. Makes you stronger."

Palpatine: "Your hate has made you powerful."

Vader: "You have learned to control your fear. Good. Now, release your anger, only your hatred can destroy me."

"Most of this sequence with Luke really had to do with making him angry and to try to tempt him to become angry and Luke fighting that temptation. Which obviously, eventually, he does and eventually again he doesn?t. But that?s the real tension in this whole scene is 'Will he become angry enough to try to attack the Emperor?' I mean what the Emperor wants basically

23. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    well personally i hate kids so im glad he killed them

24. R2_Did_Who

Dec 19, 2005
    And the quotes cometh

25. OnyxRose

OnyxRose Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2004
    I hope people don't think I have any sympathy for Anakin. I don't...he's evil incarnate. That's why I started this topic. I was just wondering what the big deal was because we all know Anakin is twisted, evil and generally unsympathetic. There's no surprise that he killed everyone that stood between him and power.

Thanks everyone for keeping this civil. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.