main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are people so shocked he killed the Younglings?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by OnyxRose, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Like I've said before. If one Jedi child survives, they can come back and destroy the Sith. Look no further than the OT.

VADER: "What is thy bidding, my Master."

SIDIOUS: "There is a great disturbence in the Force."

VADER: "I have felt it."

SIDIOUS: "We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."

VADER: "How is that possible?"

SIDIOUS: "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us."

VADER: "He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him."

SIDIOUS: "The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

VADER: "If he could be turned, he could be a powerful asset."

SIDIOUS: "Yes, yes. Can it be done?"

VADER: "He will join us or die, Master."

"The telling of this story of Anakin going into the Jedi temple and the other Jedi getting killed through the order 66 of the clones is just done as one of those kind of inevitable pay offs in terms of getting rid of everybody, the Emperor is getting rid of all his enemies, but there?s a certain inevitability of it all and a sadness to it."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

"The thing with the kids is necessary to establish how far down the road he?d (Anakin) come to do something that, this brutal and barbaric and it had to be in there but I definitely didn?t want to show it. It was really in the editorial process that the idea of inter-cutting her (Padme) with him when he?s at his very worst with her worrying about him. That juxtaposition works quite well cause it reflects as much on the slaughter of the children as it does on her concerns about him even though she doesn?t know the children have been slaughtered. There is a strong emotional connection when those sequences are pushed up against each other."

"He is lying to her but rationalizing what he is saying. Lying to himself. He knows he?s wrong but won't admit it. Padme could never live with him now."

"There's always this good in you. And the good part is saying 'what am I doing?'. Then the bad part kicks in and says 'I'm doing this for Padme, I'm doing this for the galaxy and so we can have a better life'. But the good part is always saying 'WHAT AM I DOING?!"

--George Lucas to Hayden Christensen, Hyperspace webdoc.

"Anakin on the balcony contemplating what he?s done. This is the first time he actually has a chance to think about what it is that?s happened by himself and the tear here shows that he knows what he?s done but he?s not committed himself a path that he may not agree with but he is going to go along anyway.

It?s the one moment that says he?s self aware. He rationalizing all his behavior. He?s doing terrible things. But in the end he really knows the truth. He knows that he?s evil now and there?s nothing he can do about it and that?s the moment where the pathos of him being stuck in that suit is real because if he had to do it over he probably wouldn?t do it but he can't stop it now.

You know where it's going to lead. He knows it will end with a fight with Obi Wan. He knows that Padme not buy into this new reality. He made a pact with the devil and now he?s become the devil.

The sad thing is Padme says there is still good in him and Luke says in ROTJ there is good in you. Its recurring. There is good in him. And that will bring balance to the force. He needs to get rid of the Sith and bring balance to the Force."

"Anakin/Darth does what he does because he believes he's doing it for the good of the universe."

--Hayden Christensen, GQ Magazine.

"What drove me to make these movies is that this is a really interesting story about how people go bad. In this particular case, the premise is: Nobody thinks they're bad. They simply have different points of view. This is about a kid that's

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i more referred to choosing killing the younglings, which sid never didn't tell him nothing about. so, i'm not sure what sort of decision you mean. doing anything for his wife was already set. he just didn't know about the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.