main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the Ewoks hated?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by bobafett113, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobafett113

bobafett113 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    Ok, I've always wondered why mostly everyone dosen't like the ewoks. When I was a kid, I thought they were cool teddy bears, now I think they're just cool. Whats up?????????

2. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Beacause the fans have grown up, and don't want to be seen as "childish" by saying they liked the Ewoks.

In Empire of Dreams, Warwick Davis saying being as Ewok was inspirational to him, that you can accomplish anything despite your size.

3. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2003
    Something tells me its the very same reason why Gunguns are hated.

4. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    1. Where did they come from all of sudden?

2. Who the hell are they to defeat the Empire?

3. Ewoks were created as a marketing strategy to sell more toys.

4. They look like teddy bears

5. They look to cute to kill anybody.

6. They hog up the too much screen time in ROTJ.

7. SW saga ends with teddy bears killing stormtroopers? What?

8. Wicket gets too many closeups and acts so cute.

9. SW isn't about being cute!

10. Non SW fans, mainly Girls loved the ewoks.

11. Little girls were sleeping with plush ewok dolls.

12. Ewoks dumbed down SW

13. Ewoks insulted my intelligence as a SW fan.

14. Ewoks had awful made for TV movies.

15. Rebels celebrate in the Ewok village with a bunch a Ewoks. The Saga's final moments take place in a teddy bear village, out of the F'ing blue these teddy bear creatures take on a big level of importance, why??? How dare they come into the SW franchise and take over! I hate Ewoks!

I'll have more later...

5. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    As I get older, I think dislike of the Ewoks is something one can grow out of. Lucas was in his late 30s when he created the Ewoks and I think a lot of the Gen-X fans who are approaching that age and didn't appreciate the concept before may find their feeling changing, if they're open-minded.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    If Ewoks were created to cater for kids and sell toys then it worked on me as I loved them and bought tons of Ewok stuff, so I'm not going to turn into some bitter fan complaining about those things as they are part of the reason I became a Star Wars fan.

7. DarthStinkyBritches

DarthStinkyBritches Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    1. Where did they come from all of sudden?

that's a dumb question, where did anything come from?

2. Who the hell are they to defeat the Empire?

who the hell are they "not" to defeat the empire?

3. Ewoks were created as a marketing strategy to sell more toys.

that's heresay, and I don't agree with it. They were created as a primtive culture, to help defeat the technologically advanced empire

so?

did you ever see Child's Play?

6. They hog up the too much screen time in ROTJ.

not really

7. SW saga ends with teddy bears killing stormtroopers? What?

well, they're not teddy bears. they're ewoks. and I already explained that on question 3

8. Wicket gets too many closeups and acts so cute.

seriously? what's wrong with cute?

well, I agree, but SW isn't all about the Ewoks. So, henceforth, it's not cute. and what's wrong with cute again?

10. Non SW fans, mainly Girls loved the ewoks.

what do you have against non SW fans and girls all the sudden?

11. Little girls were sleeping with plush ewok dolls.

and?

12. Ewoks dumbed down SW

that's your point of view.

[response]

yeah, I agree with this one too. but those had nothing to do with ROTJ.

15. Rebels celebrate in the Ewok village with a bunch a Ewoks. The Saga's final moments take place in a teddy bear village, out of the F'ing blue these teddy bear creatures take on a big level of importance, why??? How dare they come into the SW franchise and take over! I hate Ewoks!

how sad

8. Darth_Monarch

Darth_Monarch Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    <<5. They look to cute to kill anybody. >>

Why does everyone simply gloss over the fact that the Ewoks were going to eat Luke, Han, and Chewie? They had Solo over a fire and were going to cook him. They are NOT cure little creatures. They only look that way to fool you into a false sense of security while they pull our their knives and cut you open and serve you to their kids.

Lord knows what happened to the stormtroopers who's helmets they pound on at the end.

9. SilverWook

SilverWook Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2004
    Had the special edition included a new scene where Corpsey's buddy pulls out a knife or spear, goes postal on the nearest trooper, emerging from the undergrowth one trooper scream later wearing the helmet and brandishing a blaster, the audience would have cheered. ;)

10. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    In case you guys haven't seen the TV commercials for Star Wars: Battlefront yet... They show a quick image of an Ewok getting shot point-blank by a blaster. Sadistic...but classic. [face_laugh]

11. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I never hated the Ewoks. I like them. I think the hate comes from how they were overmarketed in the mid-80s to keep SW in the public's eye,with no new movies in sight and all.

12. wallflower77

wallflower77 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I find them less annoying then the Gungans! :)

13. Orionsangel

Feb 11, 2004
    You sound like a girl defending Ewoks, lol, but that's besides the point. If you don't agree with me, then you don't agree with Harrison Ford either, because he's on my side and everyone wants to be on Harrison's side. He's a pimp after all. The last thing you said was, *how sad* yes how sad indeed that SW final moments take place in a teddy bear village.

P.S. When I say he sounds like a girl. I mean how he says he likes cute teddy bears, lol. I have nothing against girls and I'm not a chauvinist. So don't even go there.

14. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    If they would have had a less prominent role, I would be fine with the Ewoks. They don't bother me all that much. I've heard other fans say their hate for them began when they replaced the Wookies in their role in ROTJ.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    1. Where did they come from all of sudden? Where did you come from all of a sudden?

2. Who the hell are they to defeat the Empire? Yeah, Wookies would've been so much better. :p

3. Ewoks were created as a marketing strategy to sell more toys. I think most of Star Wars is marketing strategy to sell toys.

So?

They were well on their way to cooking Han, Chewie and Luke alive.

6. They hog up the too much screen time in ROTJ. They're in the movie for like 20 or 30 minutes!

7. SW saga ends with teddy bears killing stormtroopers? What? Notice that the 'teddy bears' got their asses handed to them until Chewie took over the Chicken walker.

8. Wicket gets too many closeups and acts so cute. Soooo?

10. Non SW fans, mainly Girls loved the ewoks. I loved Ewoks, and I';m 6'3", 200 lbs. You calling me a girl?

11. Little girls were sleeping with plush ewok dolls. So...?

12. Ewoks dumbed down SW How?

What? Tauntauns, Greedo, and the Force didn't?

You ever see the Holiday Special? it ain't just ewoks that have this problem.

Where else are they gonna celebrate? Ready-made barbeque pit. And space is cold.

16. DarthKimbers

DarthKimbers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Geez... They were going to burn poor Han alive! How much more horrible do they have to be in order to be "cool" to some people... :p

Ewoks rock!

17. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    Ford doesn't like Star Wars that much. I guess that means we shouldn't either. :(

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Ewoks will eat you. Now so cute?

19. sharkboy

sharkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    We hate them because they are teddy bears simple.

20. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    * They don't blink
    * They don't have genitals
    * They are obviously people in a suit (skin doesn't contour to body, there's obviously air in between)
    * We're expected to believe they can take down armoured storm troopers with primitive slings and bows...

And so on...

21. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think people hated the ewoks mainly because they never suspended our belief. I never had the impression that they were threatening to anyone. I think ROTJ would have been a lot more successful if large creatures similar to wookies had been the inhabitants there.

Since the tactics used by the Ewoks are generally strength based (stacking of large tree trunks, heavy rope slings etc), it's more believable that a large stalwart race of beings pummel the imperial stormtroopers.

I think if Lucas ever does a "Archive" edition as a lot of folks have rumored, he would do well to reinvent the Ewoks with CG technology.

Aside from eyelids, the fur is too short and not believable. Creatures living in the wild would have either long hair or more obvious physical features and short hair. I think to retain a PG rating, long hair is a better bet. I always thought the faces were perfect from a creative standpoint.

They simply didnt move very efficiently. If they were made to be limber and agile; leaping from tree to tree and skilled archers and spearmen, the illusion would go a lot farther.

Also they should be fast, very fast. The actors who played the Ewoks just couldn't physically go very fast, and so it comes off cheesy.

Originally Lucas was going to go with a Wookie type creature but decided against it because it wasn't something new. (a brave if not wise choice) So he cut em in half and called them Ewoks. If you look at some of the pre production artwork, they are slim, agile and cunning in appearance. Sadly the technology of the time simply "failed" Lucas' vison. Not bad though, considering how many gambles Lucas tried with Star Wars, film after film.

22. Magic_Al

Sep 18, 2003
    Not even past the first page and already the discussion turns to Ewok genitals. What part of "in a galaxy far, far away" is hard to understand? ;-)

Seriously, there are plenty of species that don't have much to flaunt, externally. And whatever the Ewoks have, the camera didn't get close enough to see it.

23. Orionsangel

Feb 11, 2004
    *Where else are they gonna celebrate? Ready-made barbeque pit. And space is cold.*

That's like saying when they destroyed the first Deathstar. Where were they gonna celebrate, in outerspace? No they went to Yavin and had a proper ceremony. Something similar could have been done in ROTJ.

24. Magic_Al

Sep 18, 2003
    I think ROTJ would have been a lot more successful if large creatures similar to wookies had been the inhabitants there.

Adjusted for inflation, Return of the Jedi is the #15 top-grossing film of all time. The Empire Strikes Back (Ewok-free) is #14, however, so maybe you've got a point.

25. Darth_Monarch

Darth_Monarch Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    <<* We're expected to believe they can take down armoured storm troopers with primitive slings and bows...>>

And so on...

Are we? Or are they suppose to be there to distract the stormtroopers while the rebels take care of the bunker? I don't see them sitting there and attack, I see them running and fighting. I saw stormtroopers throwing the little buggers into the bushes and AT-STs blasting them.
    I see Chewie actually taking down the stormtroopers, and Han/Leia taking down the Bunker. The Ewoks are a diversion, but indeed they do take down a few of the AT-ST, but if that is taking down the Empire, then Lucas has a weird sense of who is who in his movies.
    I see the rebels being the ones that take down the Empire, not the Ewoks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.