main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    The only persons that can be sued are the owners, unless you are specifically named in the lawsuit, and the fact of the matter is that if they name you personally then having your info there is the least of your worries.

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I just wanted to plug my support for our MOD's!

[image=http://www.xbox-connection.com/hostedimages/crazyjohn.jpg]

THUMB'S UP!!!

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    This may be expanded to cover City Representatives as well.

Ummm...sorry to be so blunt, but...screw that.

I will resign immediately.

OMG! a_g, I actually agree with you. The sky is definitely falling :p

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  5. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    I'm with Jedi_John on this issue.

6. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Oh man. They really want mods to give out their addresses and phone numbers on a message board? So who is going to be responsible when some crazy troll shows up on their doorstep? Are all the mods of age? I know in the past we've had mods that were under the legal age of consent to sign contracts and such. I don't think they can be forced to give out their personal information. And now FF reps might be included? FANS?

Why is it that volunteers... who spend many hours reading posts and helping out the owners of this site keep their message boards clean, now have to face financial and legal responsibility? What's the motivation for people to help out then? And if you close the forums, TF.N dies. I can read news and spoilers on any number of sites on the net. I come here for the forums. And I'm sure most others do too. Bless you mods. Stand up for what you believe in on this one!

7. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    Stand up for what you believe in on this one!

/\ what I want to say, but better than I could have said it.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The only persons that can be sued are the owners, unless you are specifically named in the lawsuit, and the fact of the matter is that if they name you personally then having your info there is the least of your worries.

That's not even the source of our complaints (or my complaints, anyway). It was extremely disheartening to me to see how little the ownership apparently cares for this site. It's been a part of my life for years, and I've put a lot of sweat and blood into it. I consider many people here my friends, and, as corny as it sounds, family. So for me, the reason I'm debating whether to stay here and continue moderating or not is I can't imagine hanging around and continuing to try to improve this site when the ownership is arbitrarily demoting people all over and demonstrating that they see nothing wrong with nuking the boards.

I also see the point of those who are saying the best thing for the mods to do at this point is stay on and try to thwart the efforts of the ownership to destroy the JC by doing all we can to keep it good. It's for that reason I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do yet. In my heart, I sense both options will ultimately be the wrong choice, and even now I'm saddened for the JC and the community here, because I know it's the community that will suffer the most from the arbitrary decisions of owners who don't give a damn.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    But I'm banned from the OS DarthBreezy. :(

10. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    You realized how many P-Oed fans you'd have on your hands? You realized how many people who know nothing about all this would go nutz trying to find out why the forums all closed

Not true...

Most people would go back to their own boards or find other boards. Trust me, we can live without this place.

11. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    If they're that stupid they deserve the results.

The sky is falling, and it's not just the white stuff that's coming down here...I agree with farrie. :p

12. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Stand up for what you believe in on this one!

Well said Cheri!!

13. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    No, not all mods are legal, to the best of my knowledge. Then there are some who can't give out the info, as they live in someone else's house and that person has said no.

How long until it's the individual members' information that they want?

Who's to say? This certainly seemed to come out of the blue, so who knows? It makes little sense to me.

Anyway, the lack of respect has definitely been the worst in my mind. To be dismissed as paranoid nuts isn't a lot of fun or very professional.

14. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Oh hell with it...I'll give my info, what do I have to lose.

Name: Padme Naberrie Skywalker
    Address: 101 Theed Palace, Theed, Naboo 11111
    Phone: 1-888-ILUVANI

Where's the *eye-roll* icon?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I hope that it will be resolved quickly.

And to the mods, should anything drastic happen, thank you for the time and energy you put into this site.

16. Macabre_Being

Macabre_Being Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    So, if this is right, Mods, CRs, and other officials here need to share their private information? That sounds like a lovely idea, especially on the 'Net. Though there aren' many weirdos on the 'Net, plenty ar around. Would you want a potential candidate for a correctional facility or mental institution at your doorstep? Do you want some of these trolls near you? I feel this would be worse for CRs because they are the local represenatatives of the FF, and revealing personal information on a local scale is potentially dangerous due to the fact someone of this sort may be in the local area...

Factor the legal age for these people, in addition to international legal ages, this could be rather troublesome indeed. Have international and foreign* law been taken into consideration? This is an international community, if we didn't already know.

If the ownership wants the personal information from users, I will either not submit it or submit this:

The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500

Call 202-456-1414

Ask for Dubya.

*When I said foreign, I meant outside of US boundaries as another nation is considered foreign. I wanted to make this context clear.

17. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I worry that if there is too much protest on the part of the normal users that Philip will just shut the whole thing down.

But then, that would reveal his true colors.

Bianca DelRio likes this.
  18. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    It was extremely disheartening to me to see how little the ownership apparently cares for this site.

I hate to say it, Beth, but I think it's been fairly apparent for a while now.

19. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    And to the mods, should anything drastic happen, thank you for the time and energy you put into this site.
    Yes, thank you! thank you, thank you!

20. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I feel this would be worse for CRs because they are the local represenatatives of the FF, and revealing personal information on a local scale is potentially dangerous due to the fact someone of this sort may be in the local area...

I feel exactly the same way. I may be a mod, but I'm also heavily involved with fanforce and I know what sometimes goes along with that - threats and the potential of some nut out there acting out their threats. That literally sickens me.

Also, as tempting as the sarcastic addresses are... it doesn't help matters (though believe me, I understand the sentiment), and disbelief/anger can be expressed without that.

21. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Damn, I go and cover a college basketball game, and THIS happens....

Philip, you should be ashamed of yourself for showing such little respect to the people who have helped build this board into what it is today. The again, considering the way C2 Ventures has been run in the past, I'm hardly surprised at how this situation is being handled.

Ban me, edit this, I don't give a ****.

The mods are completely in the right to protest this. I wouldn't give out any information that personal to anyone here if they paid me. This is utter b******, plain and simple. A big, steaming pile of it.

Yes, this may be "just a Star Wars messageboard." But it's also an e-place that people genuinely enjoy and care for. To put anyone - mods or non-mods - in a position like this, in this manner is just being unprofessional and disrespectful. That's a fact too, no other way to spin it.

To borrow an EU phrase, "Stand firm, mods."

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I hate to say it, Beth, but I think it's been fairly apparent for a while now.

Sad. But true. This incident really drives it home, though.

23. Macabre_Being

Macabre_Being Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I feel this would be worse for CRs because they are the local represenatatives of the FF, and revealing personal information on a local scale is potentially dangerous due to the fact someone of this sort may be in the local area...

I feel exactly the same way. I may be a mod, but I'm also heavily involved with fanforce and I know what sometimes goes along with that - threats and the potetnial of some nut out there acting out their threats. That literally sickens me.

Exactly. Doing something such as submitting personal information which potentially leak on the local scale is dangerous!

Face it! Would you want to meet some of the people here? I certainly don't. And reveal personal information to some nut here? No!

24. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    *applauds Bria*

Absolutely.

I have been very lucky with my FanForce, but I know of some others who haven't. And I don't take chances. I have a very large husband and I'm not such a bad kickboxer myself (also to borrow Scarlett O'Hara's expression, "I can shoot straight, if I don't have to shoot too far"), but I still don't make a habit of playing with fire.

I have been known to piss people off, but that doesn't mean I'll tell them where I live while I'm doing it. ;)

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I honestly don't see why there is a big fuss about this. As long as Mr. Wise keeps the personal info secure then I'd have no qualms about giving him my contact information. I already do something similar for my job and if I don't like it, then I can put in my 2 weeks notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.