Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Stepping down would be just as bad as giving in to an unreasonable demand.
  2. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, the Air Traffic Control system seems to have done okay, so I'd say keep protesting.
  3. Shelob Jedi Youngling

I'm conflicted between thinking "Wow that's pretty cool that some mods took a stand against something" and "Wow that's the lamest thing ever, it's just the internet".
  4. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    (If this is what I think it is)

I think resignation would probably be the most principled stand.

Else it's seems like a case of, "I am protesting, but not quite enough to make life uncomfortable for me or to remove my hard earned powers."

Which, really, should be a case of "Just grin and bare it."

Having said that, I would personally have resigned on this issue; So you have my sympathy's.

UKS
  5. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm sure more than a few could imagine what kind of chaos this place would be thrown into if they all resigned over this. While it might be the principaled thing to do, it would also punish everyone else.

Personally, I think they should make the argument public. I think about 99.9% of posters will come down on the mods' side.

It's like the freakin' Patriot Act. Not to mention all the trouble that could be caused if the wrong people got to the wrong place...
  6. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    I'm sure more than a few could imagine what kind of chaos

Exactly the point. Mods here care too much about the JC to let it fall like that.
  7. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    In the current situation, resignation would simply be giving up. As regular users, you may not care about the JC that much. That's why you're not mods and most likely will never be mods. It's only a message board, true, but we're only protesting on a message board so it's hardly out of proportion.
  8. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hehehe. The idea of messageboard chaos makes me giggle.

9. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    It's like the freakin' Patriot Act. Not to mention all the trouble that could be caused if the wrong people got to the wrong place...

Funny you should mention that... ;)
  10. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

"In the current situation, resignation would simply be giving up."

Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

AYBABTU?

11. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    As regular users, you may not care about the JC that much. That's why you're not mods and most likely will never be mods.

That is quite possibly the most arrogant and self-agrandizing statement I've seen in here. And that's saying a lot.
  12. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I'm serious. If you would honestly resign over this issue, you simply don't care about the JC enough. We're still here because we're trying to make this place good for you, but hey, if you want the mods to resign over it and have to promote suckup mod wannabes, go for it. :)
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

Oh, their rights are fully acknowledged. No-one has a problem with their rights.

I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations.

14. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

"if you want the mods to resign over it and have to promote suckup mod wannabes, go for it"

Hey, let's don't pretend that hasn't always happened to some extent.

"I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations."

And since when have I let it stop me? You may also note the sweeping generalizations contained within one of Hawk's posts above, or are you being selective?

AYBABTU?

15. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations.

Ahhh, if we only didn't know what you thought we didn't know.

Oh, and I seem to rememeber a certain head admin being called a "suckup mod wannabe" or close to it before. He seems to have done okay. Seriously, I think you guys are far more expendable than you make yourselves out to be.
  16. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    There's a certain site owner I'm sure you'd love to meet, Jim.
  17. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think I might just do that. If you guys hate him maybe he's got some redeemable qualities about him.
  18. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Seriously, I think you guys are far more expendable than you make yourselves out to be.

Guess that depends on whether or not you want to be part of a post-purge TF.N ...
  19. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > or are you being selective?

Yes. I was answering you.

I wasn't aware I had to pass comment on all preceding posts.

20. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Don't worry, you aren't expected to.
  21. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Incidentally, if you do more than we think you know, you won't be able to say it here since that would be leaking MS information and we'd have to ban you. :)
  22. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    As I haven't mentioned any of it to anyone after I found out, I don't see how that has any bearing on anything, other than to be a sad attempt at a threat.
  23. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I'm conflicted between thinking "Wow that's pretty cool that some mods took a stand against something" and "Wow that's the lamest thing ever, it's just the internet".

Some Mods and Admins spend a large portion of their time on this site (more hours than I care to count) to ensure its a fun place for everyone to be. Its all volunteer. Internet or not, volunteer or not , its still a job we all enjoy.

On the Fanforce Side of things its not just the internet, these are groups that function in real life that goes deeper than just the internet. Charity events, social gatherings etc.
    So standing up for something you believe cant be lame.
  24. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

It's not a question of rights. It's a question of what's right for the JC.
  25. Kyp Force Ghost

star 4
    Incidentally, if you do more than we think you know, you won't be able to say it here since that would be leaking MS information and we'd have to ban you.
    And we all know that'd be a terrible thing.

Leaking mod squad information! How ridiculous!

Personally, I think there should be capital punishment for something like this. Especially for leaking something as silly as what this issue is about.

EDIT:
    Quoting what I'm replying to.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.