main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Why is it always the same people that have to argue about everything revolving around the administration and moderators? Does coming here mocking the people that make sure this place runs smoothly bring pleasure to your life? You'll always find fault with everything and that is really pathetic. [face_plain]

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"It's not a question of rights. It's a question of what's right for the JC."

But who decides what is right for the JC? Wouldn't the owners be the ones to do that? Since it is theirs, wouldn't whatever they want be "right," from a certian point of view? That being their point of view?

And how is making this "stand" better for the JC than just quitting, if the end result may ultimately be the same either way?

AYBABTU?

3. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    And how is making this "stand" better for the JC than just quitting, if the end result may ultimately be the same either way?

Because if it goes public the mods know public opinion would be entirely on their side. I predict the other side will fold soon.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Now I'm curious.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Simply because someone has the right to do something doesn't mean they should.

But who decides what is right for the JC? Wouldn't the owners be the ones to do that? Since it is theirs, wouldn't whatever they want be "right," from a certian point of view? That being, their point of view?

Not at all. Authority doesn't equal right. There are countless examples throughout history of groups having authority and using it to negative ends.

Yes, the JC belongs to the owners. However, good ownership and leadership usually says that being in touch with what you own and making decisions based on all the information available is a good idea.

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"You'll always find fault with everything and that is really pathetic"

If the new Comms rules meant anything, would something like this warrant action, or should I infer that he's safe because he happens to agree with the mods' position?

AYBABTU?

7. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Actually, I think he is calling the action pathetic, not your person, so I think it's ok. :)

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I am calling the action pathetic. Draw your own conclusions from that.

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Authority doesn't equal right.

But ownership in this case absolutely does.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000

But that doesn't make the ultimatum right.

11. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    But who decides what is right for the JC? Wouldn't the owners be the ones to do that? Since it is theirs, wouldn't whatever they want be "right," from a certian point of view? That being their point of view?

from the owners point of view, yes. i'm sure they see it as their property and nothing else. which is to say that that if these boards were to become more troble than they are worth, that they may find it within their 'rights' to do away with the boards entirely...

12. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Okay, so a lot of the Moderators are protesting something we users aren't privy to yet. Must be fairly serious if it's got so many of you up in arms. May I ask when we might expect to hear about this?

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Poor phrasing on my part.

Authority doesn't make the actual decisions correct.

Just because someone has the authority to do something doesn't mean they should.

14. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    Just because someone has the authority to do something doesn't mean they should.

*nods*

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"...which is to say that that if these boards were to become more troble than they are worth, that they may find it within their 'rights' to do away with the boards entirely..."

But through actions like these, where mods "make a stand" and try to persuade users against the position and wishes of the owners, are not some mods actually working toward that very end? Are they not attempting to cause some degree of difficulty and disruption that ultimately could create an untenable situation for the owners, one that could lead them to actually say, "Meh... it isn't worth it"??

AYBABTU?

16. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    But through actions like these, where mods "make a stand" and try to persuade users against the position and wishes of the owners, are not some mods actually working toward that very end? Are they not attempting to cause some degree of difficulty and disruption that ultimately could create an untenable situation for the owners, one that could lead them to actually say, "Meh... it isn't worth it"??

I'd say the owners are doing a pretty good job of that themselves. No mod tried to persuade me, and I haven't seen any others do so in this thread, so your comment has no basis, and it was irresponsible of you to make that accusation.

I made the decision that the ultimatum was ludacris all on my own, before and after hearing arguments from both sides.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I dunno. I do know that regardless of whether you think that it's worth it or not, several moderators will probably be demoted within 48 hours.

18. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    ...try to persuade users against the position and wishes of the owners

i'm not trying to persuade you to do anything. all i am doing in showing my opinion of the situation.

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"Authority doesn't make the actual decisions correct."

Wow... that's a bit presumptuous. Wouldn't you expect that the owners would have a better idea than anyone else of what is "correct" as it pertains to what they want the JC to be?

AYBABTU?

20. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    Wouldn't you expect that the owners would have a better idea than anyone else of what is "correct" as it pertains to what they want the JC to be?

in this sense you are correct. the JC is theirs and noone can stop them from doing whatever they want with it. this does not mean, however, that i have to like it. if i happen to disagree with the owners wishes, then i disagree, and face the consequences of my actions.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Are they not attempting to cause some degree of difficulty and disruption that ultimately could create an untenable situation for the owners, one that could lead them to actually say, "Meh... it isn't worth it"??

The mods are trying as best as possible to open the lines of communication to resolve the issues. So far this isn't working. Very soon some of the mods will be saying "Meh... it isn't worth it". Rest assured every effort has been made to resolve this from our end. It's not about the issue that sparked the discussion. It's about respect and appreciation for thousands of hours of unpaid work.

To avoid 'some degree of difficulty and disruption that ultimately could create an untenable situation for the owners', all they have to do is attempt to address our concerns is a considered manner.

The JC is bigger than a bunch of mods, and it'll go on just fine. It'll be different most likely, but it'll still be around.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Wouldn't you expect that the owners would have a better idea than anyone else of what is "correct" as it pertains to what they want the JC to be?

Objectively speaking, perhaps.

But, based on what I've seen so far, there's been a distinct lack of information and connection in regards to what goes into the JC.

A business owner can easily make decisions that affect people he or she has never heard of, or in the case of a large company, stores they've never visited or know much about. Yet the ramifications of those decisions are still felt by the people involved.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"No mod tried to persuade me, and I haven't seen any others do so in this thread, so your comment has no basis, and it was irresponsible of you to make that accusation.?"

Wrong. Many mods are trying to make a point. And they aren't just doing it behind closed doors. They're leaking to others, they're making snide comments in unrelated threads, and they have publicized the issue to some extent by coordinating this color thing. If they didn't want to drum up support for their cause, they would quit without trying to force others into demoting them. If they didn't want to be martyrs, they would simply conform to the owners' wishes, or they would quit. It is rather obtuse, in my opinion, for anyone to believe that some mods aren't trying to make things difficult for the owners.

AYBABTU?

24. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Wow... that's a bit presumptuous. Wouldn't you expect that the owners would have a better idea than anyone else of what is "correct" as it pertains to what they want the JC to be?

The owners, i.e. someone who's posted all of 13 times on these forums? And why would you assume that "what they want the JC to be" is what's best for the JC? The JC is a large community of people. If the owners decided to, for example, shut it down, that would be what they wanted, but it obviously wouldn't be what's best for the people who make up this community.

25. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    If they didn't want to drum up support for their cause, they would quit without trying to force others into demoting them.

No one is being forced to demote them. They were threatened with it, if I understand it correctly. And isn't it their right as mods to change their colors if they wish? And the only reason I'm on their side is because I AGREE with them, not because anyone persuaded me.

I think you'll also find that there are a lot of people against this action, and not so many people for it. Maybe that should tell you something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.