main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    This does not seem to be an issue at IGN, as all moderators obviously have to already be subscribers at IGN anyway (and that means credit cards are alredy being billed) or actual IGN employees (ie, ZeroSleep)

That doesn't sound right... I don't believe that Mods had to PAY and specifically become IGN subscribers in order to become Moderators at TFN. If that were true, no one would become Mods. I mean, who would pay money to get a volunteer job that consumes massive amounts of time with no rewards?

Edit - clarifying post.

2. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    TripleB, are you saying that all the mods here do/did pay? If their CC info is in the system, then their personal info is already known.

No, I am talking about the Moderators at IGN.COm message boards, which are pretty much the same design as here at TN.Net. Over there, the standard is you HAVE to be either a Premium Member or an IGN Employee in order to be a moderator. The mod's I have talked to have no idea what I am talkinga bout as far as TFN goes, and told me that there is some sort of Liability issue; and that as Premium Members, our CC pmts somehow 'cover them' if something happens.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Thanks for the clear up.

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    now that I didn't know, because to my knowledge its been by invitation by other mods are you saying this knowledge is false then?

5. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Wow. I woke up, and I wasn't sure if it was a dream or not. Guess not. It's so ODD to think of going to 3SA without seeing the yellow and black. Well, good luck to the remaining mods, and any mods to come. I hope everyone will remain civil and not make a bad situation worse. I was tempted quite a few times last night to curse, but a cooler head prevailed. For once.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Good call Cheri, no sense getting banned on top of it all.

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I wonder why people rely on the * button to substitute for cursing so much.

Typing !#$*&$!#*&O*&@#%^ is much funnier and more creative :)

8. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    If people do act up, all that will result will be the closing of the JC. Things have been pretty civil so far, despite a few threads.

9. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Nice obit notice. I don't know, I'm pretty conflicted here. I'm considering just leaving the site. I know it won't do anything, but I don't know if I want to be somewhere where people are forced to give up information they don't want to, just so they can stay and do something they care about. I'd miss everyone here, but I can get my info elsewhere. I really don't want to provide any cash to this guy, if he's selling my info, or getting money from ads I click.

10. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    now that I didn't know, because to my knowledge its been by invitation by other mods are you saying this knowledge is false then?

As I stated, I believe Modship at TF.N is invitation-only. Modship on general IGN boards may be different (and may require payment).

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    After all has been said and done, now my biggest peeve is that the demoted managers/mods don't even get the courtesy of VIP status. That's a hell of a slap in the face.

12. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    Yep...that it is KJ. As if all the hard work to become mods meant nothing....sorry
    What's really eerie is still seeing sapes name as a forum moderator here.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    It is, Katya. It really is.

Who all is left anyway?

14. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    And Jeff and JP in the Games, haunting, isn't it?

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I don't think their time here "meant nothing". They contributed things to this forum, and I'm sure people will still remember it, even if Philip Wise chose not to acknowledge it with VIP colors.
    To think that their efforts "meant nothing" is to let Wise win. If anything, we should remember what the demoted Mods DID do, and what that meant to us.

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Katya_Jade, do VIPs have to send in details? :eek:

17. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    That's a hell of a slap in the face..

Yes. Yes it is. At least WE can give them titles.

18. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    demoted managers/mods don't even get the courtesy of VIP status

Can´t that be done, when things are worked out?

19. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    This is so stupid.

You're completely right, Katya. At least VIP status. Mods have done so much, and then this?

Arr.

-Krystal

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Thank you Cheri :)

One way to go about all this is to not go to Philip's other site, rebelscum.com. I am an active SW collector, and I deleted his site from my list of favorites.

It's not much, but it's something.

21. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    As I stated, I believe Modship at TF.N is invitation-only.

Yes, that is what I am of the impression of

Modship on general IGN boards may be different (and may require payment).

There used to be a grandfather claus, where if you were a moderator before IGN became a paid service, that you could keep your modship. BUt the mods I talked to at IGN say that in order to be Invited to become a moderator at IGN, that you HAVE to already be a Premium Member, which means you are already paying for a monthly subscription; or you Have to be an IGN employee (ala, ZEROSLEEP, whom posts at these boards as well). That means they already have whatever it is they need to have on you on file via a Secure server.

I imagine, that if you are a moderator at IGN ,and your credit card gets cancelled or stop making payments, that they would remove you from being a mod, but I am not sure about that.

22. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Katya, that's probably because Philip didn't know any better, because he's practically never benn here.

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    demoted managers/mods don't even get the courtesy of VIP status

Can´t that be done, when things are worked out?

I believe some Admins TRIED to give them VIP colors, and Philip Wise explicitly told them not to give them colors.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I see why NiubNub's Universe is now hosted by galactic hunter.com.I still can't believe what an *** Wise is. He gives new meaning to the term Wise-***. [face_plain]

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah do the famous VIP like authors and actors have to give their info too? If they do, all hell will really break loose if the Mod boards are as leaky as they say. Quick someone get me Peter Mayhew's addy.[/sarcasm]

Syntax, if he is here as little as everyone says, just wait until this blows over and do it.

Well, "He" just posted to a private message board...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.