main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    TFN Staff have been required to provide this information as well.

I received a personal assurance that Phillip would get everyone's permission and offer an opportunity to Opt-Out before he and his associates sold any of the information to a 3rd Party company.

¤Night

2. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    This may be expanded to cover City Representatives as well.

Ummm...sorry to be so blunt, but...screw that.

I will resign immediately.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > something is going on in the Mod Squad forums that is being debated. One group believes in one thing and the other in something else.

Umm. Raven laid the whole thing bare a couple of posts up, you know.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I support the mods all the way. Personal info must be kept secret at all costs. The only way they should be asked to give it out should be with mail and then the info should not be put on a computer. At all. This info is private and could be hacked.

The Knocklist should be protected from any all intrusion at all costs.

5. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    In light of Raven's coming out with the info, too add to his argument (and "persuade", if you will):

Would YOU really want barry showing up at YOUR house?

What would happen if this information fell inot the wrong hands?

How many unstable sci-fi/fantasy fans do you know? I can guess that out of the 10,000 JC posters, a few might be prone to stalking. Some may even be driven to more violent means of retribution than returning as a sock and flaming a mod for banning him. God forbid this mod lives in the same town as the troll...

The posibilities for FUBAR are endless.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't think we would let that happen a_g.

7. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    But if you give them your address they can finally start mailing you all that back pay. Oh wait... Actually, I think it's the fact that you aren't "paid employees" that is really the main problem here. You guys are volunteers who gave your time and energy because of your love for this site, and nothing more. You don't deserve this treatment.

8. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    be fair jp he may not have read that when he wrote his post.

Anyway I think this is quite wrong by whoever in the Ownership put forth this idea. And the Mods are right to be up in arms about it.

I apologise for my previous post, which was very badly ignorant.

9. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Wow, that's seriously lame. And all this was cooked up behind your backs? Stick to your guns guys!

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    For the vast majority of mods the problem is not that this information has been requested, but the issues arose from the manner in which we have been treated after asking for more details on what the info will be used for and requesting alternate means of submitting the required information.

11. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Phillip's PR nightmare begins...hmmm....now!

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I received a personal assurance that Phillip would get everyone's permission and offer an opportunity to Opt-Out before he and his associates sold any of the information to a 3rd Party company.

Err, do you know how many times I personally have 'opted out' and STILL have recived **** addressed to the intensional misspelling of my name? I've even signed up as a Mr. Paulee Leedbte (a gross misrepresentaion of my name/gender) and been sent garbage.

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn you staff! Why must you always screw up and make me agree with mods, you know how crazy that makes me.

If the staff explained why they needed it(someone mentioned backpay?) that would be one thing, but if they just want it? Screw that.

14. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

You know, gandy's explanation makes this sound even less unreasonable than it did before.

What is wrong with an employer, even an employer of volunteers, knowing the real names and addresses of his employees? If this was the real world, all these things would be required (in most cases) before anyone could hold a position within any company or organization. Why is it so outrageous that the owners here expect that from their "employees?"

AYBABTU?

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree with farraday. That has to be a first. ;)

16. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "Authority doesn't make the actual decisions correct."

Which is super-funny coming from KW! [face_laugh]

I have no sympathy, simply because now that the gun is aimed at the guys with colours they don't seem quite so happy say "it's not our decision, it's up to the owners" like they have with so many other topics in the past....slash fiction included.

What goes around, comes around.
    So enjoy this latest turn guys.

:)

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, since Raven already spilled the beans I'll come out and say that after checking out the site in question that I would have no problem signing up with it as long as the optout provisions in the posted privacy policy were adhered to.

That said, the portion of the ownership in question should have just gone ahead and demoted Sape if he's not going to let him know what's going on in the first place. To do it like this would be incredibly insulting were I in Sape's position.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002

That's awesome. I wish we had gotten the same assurance.

19. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    We can lose a few mods but to lose Crs would mean FF would break down completely. This issue wont go away. The info is too precious. We need to protect their identities at all costs.
    Imagine more a minute if you were say Maiden Lumpes parents and the thought of her address and real name getting out would be frightening. They could come back to you. A person who was banned by her could go after her for thinking she is responsible.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN The safety of our mods and future mods and crs is at stake. I am not going to be a mod if my info is at risk.

20. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    AYBABTU: read jp's post above...

21. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    Holy crap. I don't want to be a mod anymore. [face_plain]

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    There is a reason emplyoers require that information Basey, namely they need to be able to contact you in some situations, like the pay issue.

Please explain why our staff needs to mail or phone the mods?

There seems to be a serious lack of WHY going on here and I find that troubling.

I also extremly dislike the idea that they wouldn't seel the list to anyone without contacting the mods and letting them opt out first. What the hell? What lists are you thinking of seeling their names to anyways? If you're that hard up for money I'm sure you could find easier ways without pissing off the people you're relying on to keep a large part of your website functioning.

23. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Imagine more a minute if you were say Maiden Lumpes parents and the thought of her address and real name getting out would be frightening.

I'm keeping my info private more for Fate's sake. Can you imagine the people who'd want to come after her? [face_shocked]

24. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    "That's awesome. I wish we had gotten the same assurance. "

I'm not going to lie, I raised that to him and then he gave me the assurance. Regardless I have no reason to distrust him.

WOW! I just got an offer for a Star Wars Mastercard in the mail! That has to be the reason behind all this. Right? Right? ;) :D

¤Night

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "I have no sympathy, simply because now that the gun is aimed at the guys with colours they don't seem quite so happy say "it's not our decision, it's up to the owners" like they have with so many other topics in the past....slash fiction included."

You know as well as I do that, most of the time, even when the administration said "it's up to the owners", there were mods fighting the rules in the private forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.