main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Things like this warm my bitter exmod heart, knowing the mods actually care about something.

Well, gee.
    I'm in the same boat as farrie.

I'll be blunt: I don't see what the big deal is, but if there were to be some disclaimer you'd have to agree with (say, oh, if LFL wants to come after someone, they turn to TF.N and then TF.N gives them your info), I'd just laugh and walk away.

:)

2. mloradites

mloradites Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2001
    Well i hardly every post here, i mostly lurk and read, but this dilemma has piqued my interest.

I'm not a lawyer but i have done a lot of reading and worked some stuff for my own website and I think there is a good legal point as to the CRs(and possibly all fanforce mods/admins), they act as a semi-official rep of the this site and it's owners and i think there could be legal ramifications if something ever happened at an official fan force event and there could be some sort of negligence involved in not knowing who the people in charge of said event are, i may be totally wrong but it seems to make sense to me

as for mods, hohum here, i don't see it as unreasonable, although the method of providing it seems odd, it'd be a bit easier just to email or mail it, whichever the person felt more comfortable with, the only legitimate use i can see for the info is to send you all nice presents...the way night says it, it seems philip wants you all on his mailing list, very odd , to be a mod, get my sales pitches or something.....

well have fun debating this, will be interested to see how it works out...

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I have just discovered that I appear to be on the same side of this issue as DarthAttoney, so I have obviously made an egregious error in judgement.

I retract all previous comments in this thread, and would like to declare my opposition to DA's point of view solely on principle.

AYBABTU?

4. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    For the vast majority of mods the problem is not that this information has been requested, but the issues arose from the manner in which we have been treated after asking for more details on what the info will be used for and requesting alternate means of submitting the required information.

As I have said to more than one upset mod today, were I in their position I would have resigned. Solidarity is not going to change someone's personality, and there's no reason to volunteer to do work for someone that treats you like this. What this shows me is that many (not all) of them are too attached to the power -- or whatever -- of the position and would rather suffer through insults than give it up.

5. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    the only half baked attempt at a reason for us giving out our info was that in the event that TFN were ever sued, we would be deposed... [face_plain]

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Interestingly, there is no opt-out option on the registration page we are being told we have to sign up at, contrary to a statement in the privacy policy.

The privacy policy includes the sentence;
    From time to time, XXXX may sell, barter or trade parts of or the entire list of registered users to advertisers, sponsors or partners. You may elect to not have your registered address used in this manner on the registration page.

And the Terms of Use include the following.

Any communication or material you transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by XXXX or its affiliates for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting

[face_plain]

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The big deal is that you are no longer an anonymous mod. You are a legal and binding representative of the incorporated TF.N who will be held accountable for infractions against LFL and legal actions they choose to take.

8. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    I would have no problem signing up with it as long as the optout provisions in the posted privacy policy were adhered to.

The site where we were given to register had NO opt-out option. We've asked about that, and have still gotten no information on it.

One of our problems is the lack of information that's available. We ask questions, and they go unanswered. That's not professional, which is ironic when the excuse for wanting all this info is to make it more professional.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The big deal is that you are no longer an anonymous mod. You are a legal and binding representative of the incorporated TF.N who will be held accountable for infractions against LFL and legal actions they choose to take.

Which is complete bs. If that is so why aren't mods paid? If you are gonna stic your head out on the line in the future there should be some kind of payment to you guys.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    What this shows me is that many (not all) of them are too attached to the power -- or whatever -- of the position and would rather suffer through insults than give it up.

It's more a desire to stick around and help better the JC than holding onto pretend e-power. At least I hope it is.

Amazing.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    As jp (edit- and several others have) said, I raised that issue to Philip and then he told me that they would e-mail everyybody first in the off-chance they'd ever do it.

¤Night

12. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Which is complete bs. If that is so why aren't mods paid? If you are gonna stic your head out on the line in the future there should be some kind of payment to you guys.

Which is another excellent reason to resign.

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Rox, one owner we are hearing from DOES NOT CARE. He doesn't care. At all. Trust me, okay?

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sape I've met Phillip before, I know....I know.

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    For most of us, the worry isn?t getting spam in the mail. It?s about the worry that one of our more troubled trolls will show up on our doorsteps (I?m personally not too concerned, living in a remote shack in the frigid artic hinterlands of Nova Scotia and being big, armed and dangerous, but I can sympathize with single women in big cities). It?s about the worry that someone will post a spoiler they shouldn?t, LFL will become angry, site ownership will hit the panic button and say ?Aim the $100,000 lawsuit at that guy there, he?s the one that let it through, not me.?

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Isn't TFN already an LLC to cover legal issues?

17. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    The question I would be asking Josh and Phillip is this: 1.) Why weren't you potentially pointing lawsuits at us 6 years ago, why start now?

2.) What gauruntee do you have that the information will remain hidden from JC users?

3.) Can't they pay for their own lawsuits from the sales of Star Wars autographs?

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It?s about the worry that someone will post a spoiler they shouldn?t, LFL will become angry, site ownership will hit the panic button and say ?Aim the $100,000 lawsuit at that guy there, he?s the one that let it through, not me.?

And as we all know, that's happened so many times before. Oh wait...

roly-poly eyes!

Edit: This post = pro-mod to avoid confusion by the easily confusable.

Amazing.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > It's more a desire to stick around and help better the JC than holding onto pretend e-power. At least I hope it is.

Damn straight it is. Provisions are being made to ensure my forums are looked after when the axe swings. It would be unprofessional of me to just jump overboard at the first sign of trouble. The mods that do continue are going to have a tough few weeks/months, and the departing mods don't wish to make their lives any more difficulat than they will already be.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Two folks are legally accountable. Names and addresses, with areas of responsibility and accountability to the LLC, adds more names for the first time.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Bob, we've posed questions but haven't gotten any answers. That's what really concerns us. Not that they're the owners. Not that they are asking for info, but that they won't tell us why they want it. We're dismissed as paranoid and ignored. That, among the things that others have said here, is a major part of the issue.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Intersting to note, this hasn't been brought up in the CR forums yet. I only found out about the bruhahah since I make it a point to check out Coms. If this had been sprung on me without the forwarning.... :mad:

23. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm pretty sure that TFn, as a subsidiary of Rebelscum, is an LLC for all matters legal and business-related. That's how we all ended up with AotC DVD's....because RebelScum has an accountancy department that we could forward our recepits to for reimbursement.

You mods need to realise that you work for a site that's part of a business. You're volunteers, yes. But one can't do work experience somewhere IRL, trade illegal files or whatever in their work environment and not expect to be held accountable.

Your summer of love is over.
    Sadly, I'll admit.
    But if the owner says jump, your admin guidelines demand you ask how high.

24. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm serious. All of you need to resign right now. You want to show him how it will hurt his site, that's the only tangible thing you can do to it. Otherwise all of your protestations are hollow.

25. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Have you guys considered the possibility that TF.N is ALREADY facing legal trouble, and may be looking for names and addresses and areas of responsiblity so that they can offer you up? There may be a bigger force at work, here.

"Back in Black" strikes back?

/paranoid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.