main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Are The PT Films criticized? (catch-all thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Except TFA and the new movies CAN'T

They NEED the PT.

SO the OT needs it

2. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    The OT never has and never will need the PT. PT visuals had to be injected into the OT just to stop people from ignoring them. And the new movies don't need the PT either just because a couple token PT references were thrown in.

3. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Because they are being interpreted in the wrong order.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I actually watched it in 3>2>1 the other week.

It provides an interesting perspective of sorts.....

Pyrogenic likes this.
  5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

For now. Let's see what happens in VIII and IX.

One thing for sure, neither PT nor OT needs the ST ;)

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For now. Let's see what happens in VIII and IX.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

Why? They worked fine as 1-6 (just like the OT works on its own). The ST might add something interesting to the mythology but it's not necessary to appreciate Anakin's fall and redemption or Luke's journey (if anything, right now it makes them look like losers).

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The story is evolving once more. Only way to find out what it will be is to wait and see what VIII and IX.

Just extrapolating your point one step further really.

JediChipKelly and DarthCricketer like this.
  9. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I would argue the same for the OT. That didn't need the PT for the story to work (I would say it worked better without it, but hey that's me), yet here we are.

10. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Exactly. When we only had the OT, the story was "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker", and that's it. Then the prequels came along, and the story became "The Tragedy of Darth Vader". Who knows how the saga will change with the ST? We won't really be able to tell until Episode IX really.

11. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015

The only way for ST to be necessary is for them to focus a bit more on Anakin's ghost and his redemption. At least for me,.

wobbits likes this.
  12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Guys...learn to read my posts. The politics in the prequel era are interesting and the love story is good. Just not in the films. Seriously, the only good part about the romance in the films was Natalie Portman's appearance.

13. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    No argument here, but you can say the same thing about ANH, as it didn't need ESB & ROTJ, or the OT didn't need the PT. ;) They're all a function of Prequels and Sequels that are add on's to the story that happens with all movie franchises. The Original SW would sit fine as a Standalone movie without sequels and prequels in 2016 just like ET.

14. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Lucas imagined it as a story of the father, the son (or the twins) and the grandchildren, he said it so recently.

Right now it seams that the saga is not evolving, but devolving to it's ANH state.

Andy Wylde and Evening Star like this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Or is it REvolving? [face_thinking]

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    THERE IS ONLY THE SAGA! sorry for yelling.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    It's clear from your signature that you're fighting the good fight so I forgive you.

18. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Talos156 I'll admit there are a few things wrong with the Saga, but when few say the entire movie was trash I just loose it! But I try to remain calm.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    To be honest, when you see authors writing supplementary material for a fictional universe better than its creator, that really puts things into perspective. Besides, purely from a cinematic perspective, there is more wrong with the films than the script.

Nate787 and DarthCricketer like this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I always find myself confused by these posts. Why are you so convinced that ANYTHING I post on this forum is anything other than my opinion? Surely, you recognize the redundancy of clarifying that what I say is my opinion in a forum which, by definition, is a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged? I'm sorry if my reasonably expanded-upon OPINIONS offend you so much that you have to remind me and attempt to convince me that I'm being an authoritarian jackass.

21. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Key is recently. Suffice to say that this is not the same as looking at how things evolved when they were actually made, which is apparent from looking at the story's (er...) evolution. Anyway, I'm hopeful that the new characters will be the focus of the story of VII–IX, in which case it would be the furthest thing from 'devolving to its ANH state'.

So the saga is evolving whether you like it or not, and nothing makes I–III + IV–VI any more valid from a perspective of stringing a story together than including VII as well, or not including I–III (as an example). Really, E.S.B. evolved the story in a similar way from S.W., just on a smaller time-scale.

\\\^^^///​
    For 'xezene', I'm not sure how being supercilious really contributes to furthering your arguments.​

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Also, can I ask a favor of all of you currently present in this thread? Can you identify exactly where I "insulted" George Lucas in my posts? Because all I'm seeing are critiques of his work which he displayed and distributed to the general public, making it totally subject to scrutiny.

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Talos you should be free to speak your mind!

DrDre likes this.
  24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, yes, I just dislike being accused of slander.

Davak24, DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  25. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Lol get used to that. This happens pretty often when people are simply discussing movies and someone will randomly pop in to rant about how unfair it is that people keep insulting George Lucas. Yet, upon reading the thread, no Lucas insults can be found. Although, I haven't read all the posts on this thread so I can't say for sure if that's happening here.

Also it's funny how, in grade school, we used to get points off for using the phrase "in my opinion" and were encouraged to present our opinions with some conviction. Yet on an online message board, this is somehow deemed to be wrong, even if said points are elaborated upon in enough detail.