main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Are The PT Films criticized? (catch-all thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

What's with the snippy, needless sarcasm?

You do actually like Star Wars in some form, right?

All the films have their share of violence within them. The series is called "Star Wars", the first lines of the original crawl are "It is a period of civil war", and the original then plunges straight into a firefight in space.

The original also finds the camera first settling on two frantic (well, one anxious, one a little less so) droids. Which is very clever; as our first "taste" of the personal, within a war setting, is not actually humans, who are doing the fighting, but robots who are trying to evade it.

There's actually a lot of really neat stuff in Star Wars if you open yourself up to it. Yes, Jedi slicing droids down like they're butter looks cool, and Anakin later blasting some of the fancier ones to pieces, the same type that earlier forced the Jedi into retreat, also looks pretty cool; even if it also has a perturbing quality. In fact, by the time the narrative catches back up with itself at the start of ANH, having droids be the unwitting saviours of the galaxy is, when you think back to how they're treated in the prequels by the Jedi and other characters, quite a statement in itself. Again, as the saga keeps showing over and over the more you peer into it, there's so much wit, scope, flavour, and texture to everything.

Andy Wylde and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    What's with the overreaction? Thought you would appreciate the implied irony.

My previous post was equally sarcastic too.

3. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Well, it had to be, right? Since you have an abstract representation of spaceships firing at one another as your current avatar.

Otherwise, no, I kinda missed your sarcastic interjection; or didn't quite see the point in it.

Especially as I was just having some random fun talking about the coolness of some droid designs, and then you had to come in out of nowhere and insinuate something crooked about Lucas' storytelling methods.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Sarcastic or not, it wasn't intended to impune your fun. It's just a sentence.

5. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Your original interjection was mounted as a question and therefore seemed to be seeking a response, but perhaps playfully.

But then you snipped back a second time and I started to think you were really just trolling my input.

Especially given the fact that earlier on this very page you seemed to express some "issues" with the droids being cut down en masse by the Jedi (vis-a-vis Vader's more tragic, non-slasher portrayal):

And then there is everything you have been saying in Darth Nerdling's new thread about Vader's scene in "Rogue One" and how it compares to his portrayal in ROTS:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-reaction-to-the-rogue-one-vader-scene-is-exactly-what-lucas-wanted-to-avoid-in-rots.50045148/

So perhaps I misread you; or perhaps you're trying to vent some real frustrations in here but pretending otherwise.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    So you're going overboard on the basis of what I might think, rather than what I say.

I already anticipated that you understood my position on certain arguments. And I acknowledged the double standards that we fans enjoy when it comes to violence.

A bit of cheeky one line rhetoric might save us all a long drawn out replay, I thought.

For my part, I still don't intend to go over it again.

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    This old interview is a pretty good way, I think, to show how not to fall into the traps when making a SW movie. Its also a small glimpse into GL's thinking about creating culture, that is so fascinating to me.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Chiang and McCaig are so great. I'm very glad Chiang is still involved in Star Wars and is now a Vice President of Lucasfilm.

Andy Wylde and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  9. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Isn't that video proof that George made the prequels different on purpose ?
    I ask this because a lot of people who dislike the new movies pretend to this day that he didnt know anymore how star wars should look and feel like .

10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Well it's well known by now that Lucas has never been about copying himself but experimenting, he'll always do research outside of SW for inspirations even if I'm sure he has a lot of respect for McQuarrie's work in SW.

11. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014

Yes George made the prequels different on purpose and fail to see what's wrong with that. Star Wars was never meant to look and feel only a certain way. Which is why Disney has pretty much killed my passion with their SW films that lack the creative vision Lucas had.

12. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I just found an example of the bandwagon effect against the PT. Found a review of the Clone Wars microseries by a cartoon reviewer named Rebeltaxi. Early in his review, he states he has watched the OT a million times but has never watched any of the PT films in their entirely, he has only seen a few posted clips online. However, this does not stop him from concluding how "we" wish the lame PT films where more like the good microseries. Really seems he has let the internet decide for him about the PT, and he probably isn't even aware of it. This is beside copying RLM by using we instead of I.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Sorry, but Rebeltaxi is a Youtuber who you really shouldn't take so seriously. You would know this if you looked at any of his other videos.

14. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This one?

Where does he make conclusions & say "we" ?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    In all honesty, I never understood why the micro series was so great in the first place. It was long on style but really short on substance, adding nothing to the prequels, IMHO.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  16. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    I completely disagree. Short on substance? They were 3 minutes episodes originally conceived as commercials, so of course they couldn't tell these big stories. Added nothing to the prequels? The last 5 chapters explain everything that happened right before ROTS.

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    All of which is summed up in ROTS. Palpatine kidnapped by Grievous. That's about it. Actually seeing it didn't add anything. It even contradicted it highly, with the portrayal of Grievous as an uber-invicible threat, compared to his rather more cowardly film portrayal.

And the third series featured longer episodes, of 12-15 minutes, and even the 3 minute eps flow directly between each other to create a continuous narrative.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    How could the micro series contradict ROTS when Grievous first appeared in the micro series over a year before the film premiered? And there is still plenty the series added. It showed Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship progress from how it was in Clones to how it was in Sith, Anakin transforming from a padawan into an apprentice, and the first major adventures told in the Clone Wars era.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    TheMoldyCrow I love the ending of the micro-series when Mace Windu damages Grievous, which explains his voice problem in ROTS

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It's a bit OT, but I have to chime in and say I really like the micro-series. I think it actually does a great job of showing Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship, has some really good character scenes of Anakin (the Ventress duel is really, really good; probably the highlight) and I love how much better (IMO) it makes the character of Grevious. Like he really was a terrifying Jedi killing bad-ass before he ran into Mace Windu.

IIRC that series won several Emmys when it came out. I personally think it's more consistent with the PT films than the 3D series and works much better as a bridge between AOTC and ROTS (although that's partially because it's short enough that you can actually watch it between the two films :))

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The micro series focus on the "harmonic" parts of the prequels. Just sheer raw visuals, minimalistic dialogue, music and lovely, orgasmic sound design. Personally, the micro fits way more with the PT than TCW.

In my honest opinion, TCW felt a bit too much with the EU influence. Seriously, it's incredibly inconsistent with the PT(which since it's a cartoon, I can accept that). However, with the inclusions of the Father/Son etc etc and Mauls rebirth... It's just too much if I were to put it on the same perspective.

At the end of the day though, both shows examine the different parts of Star Wars as a whole.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Personally I found the 3D series did a much better job to tell such diverse range of stories that lacked with the miniseries. The portrayals of Grievous, the Jedi and their powers in the miniseries and RotS were like night and day. They acted like they were demigods or something.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    I don't get the argument that the Jedi were overpowered in the micro series. Everything the Jedi did in the series would of fit right in with any of the prequels. Also, comparing TCW to Genndy's Clone Wars is hardly fair. The former ran for 5 seasons, with each episode being a half hour long, while the latter only had 25 episodes, which are only around 2 hours long total.

24. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

He makes one conclusion about the pt at 2:40, right after saying he has not watched the pt. He makes a second conclusion and a comparison between the microseries and the pt at 3:12 despite never having watched the pt. Then again, most of the cartoon reviewers have near identical worst cartoon lists. The internet is rampet with monkey see, monkey do.

Themodlycrow, I quite agree, in fact I feel all online reviewers should not be taken seriously. Afterall, those who can't create art become critics.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Still didn't have a lot of substance for all that, even when strung together for DVD.

As far as Legends is concerned, we got that in Labyrinth of Evil and with more story too boot.