main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why are the rating lower than TCW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AmidalaLover, Sep 17, 2015.

1. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Wow, as if Moviepilot wasn't laughable enough, this is the true topping on the proverbial cake.... It seems the guy is biased right off the bat, even advertising a Facebook page to like.. Wow, great site there!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I think random people are allowed to write articles om their. It's definitely someone who's on this site though. They probabky saw this thread haha.

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    That is definitely true. Not that the mainstream is always right though.

To me, Rebels at its worst is as good as some of TCW's in-between episodes and at its best it'd be the above average episodes. Nothing better than TCW thus far.

TheOneX_Eleazar and AmidalaLover like this.
  4. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    I agree. But it is still a good show. I think its going to pick ip this season.

5. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    It's because Disney XD is poison to ratings. Virtually every show on the channel gets bad ratings. The channel itself is suffering from extremely low viewership and nothing Disney does seems to change that.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was reading this just before:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/09...you-believe-3413715?lt_source=external,manual

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    We were just talking about that on this thread. Seems like the person who wrote that article obviously is on this site. That article came out after this post.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Whether or not you like his style, he does present some valid points.

9. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    One thing that article does not take into consideration is that the premiere occurred on Disney Channel, not DisneyXD. Comparing Disney Channel ratings to DisneyXD ratings is like comparing ESPN to Fox Sports 1. People might have it, but people don't pay attention to it. So yes being on DisneyXD is a huge factor in the ratings.

ifleninwasawizard and pepoluan like this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    I know! I remember when TCW first came out (I was in 6th grade) a lot of people watched it every Friday night. Me and my family did when I was younger but as I got older I went out on Fridays so I taped it.

12. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013

That just made me feel old....

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it's a mix of things.

One, Disney XD is a newer channel, and is only available to so many people.

Two, some fans are still bitter about TCW's abrupt ending and aren't tuning into Rebels.

Three, timeslots, Fridays would work better than Tuesdays or whatever night it's on. Even Saturday or Sunday nights.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    And DisneyXD airing them a week in advance.

mes520 likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, he did prove that Disney XD's numbers are not that far off from Cartoon Network, so ymmv.

16. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Just because houses have Disney XD doesn't mean they know they have it, or even care. That article has no valid points beyond being a butthurt, biased person off the bat.

pepoluan likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So we've now devolved to this level of apologism. "Households don't know they can watch SW:Rebels". Suure. It couldn't possibly be that the show is under-performing.

Nah, not possible.

Even though Gallandro once posted the numbers of other Disney XD shows and some of them performed better than SW: Rebels and this despite the hype train the franchise is currently on.

Vorax and Theo333 like this.
  18. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
  19. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Are you also taking into account the ratings when they air on Disney Channel? DC has aired all of season one, what were the numbers for when they premiered on there, hm?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll be completely honest; if it wasn't for Rebels, there's no way I'd be watching anything on Disney XD. When it was first announced airing on that channel, I went crazy just looking for it.

21. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    1) Comparing TCW television viewership numbers to Rebels numbers is a futile exercise due to increasing audience fragmentation across multiple media platforms. How people watch TV in 2015 is different than how people watched TV in 2008 when the TCW premièred due to millennials increasing use of computers, tablets, phones, gaming devices not to mention the multiple outlets such as Netflix, Amazon, XD app, etc to access media.

2)
    I think it is difficult to judge the show based on its abbreviated season. Season 1 almost felt like a prologue due to its shortened nature and its MO of introducing the characters, their dynamics which sets the stage for the Rebellion seen in Season 2. SOL is much, much better than anything produced in S01.

3) Disney is using Rebels and other marquee shows to draw viewership to Disney channel and XD app. Similar strategy as HBO and Game of Thrones. If you look at GOT first few seasons the viewership # are low but grow each season. This means that HBO sells more subscriptions. I suspect that Disney is trying a similar strategy and would expect low viewership at the start but with the goal of growing it over years.

22. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    I wonder what the ratings are on the app. Also kids show ratings have hit the rocks in recent years. Nickelodeon fell apart same with Disney Channel. Cartoon Network has better ratings, usually, due to the fact that Adult Swim drawn in adults to the channel and CN has programming geared to multiple demographics: kids, teens, and adults.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The influence of new media is often overestimated. Many people don't even know how to use those services.

It's not too soon. Many shows don't even get past a season 1.

24. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I think the difference lies in the state of the franchise relative to each show. When TCW came out, it was the standard bearer for the GFFA. Now we have Disney announcing there will be a film every year. To the mainstream, the original characters are coming back with a brand new story in which the outcome is unknown. Whereas comparatively Rebels is yet another prequel kids' show. There's little reason for the general audience to tune in.

25. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    You aren't taking into consideration target audience. The target audience of this show know how to use those services better than most adults know how to use a TV.

thatotherjedi likes this.