main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are there no nukes in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by rsterling78, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    For all the advanced technology in the SW universe, I'm surprised by the absence of nuclear weapons.

The electromagnetic pulse from an atom bomb sure would take out a lot of star fighters and battle droids. You could also destroy all life on a planet with nuclear weapons for a tiny fraction of the cost of a Death Star.

Lightsabers, blasters, ion cannons, repulsorlift, droids, clones...but no nukes. What gives?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Thermal detonators more or less fill the roles of nukes. The one Leia used in ROTJ was a very small-scale nuclear-type weapon.

Shatterpoint spoilers:

In Shatterpoint both Mace Windu and Depa Billaba thought about dropping a baradium bomb on the Geonosis arena, instead of landing and taking casualties. Baradium is what thermal detonators are made of.

END SPOILERS

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps the GFFA has developed much more powerful weapons and nukes are obsolete?

In the book Vector Prime a New Republic Mediator class Star Cruiser was nuked. They tractored in a shuttle that held a nuclear weapon, which took out a vast majority of the ship. I believe it took two years to repair. That is of course EU.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't think the Mediator was ever repaired. I inferred from that passage that it was destroyed in that battle.

5. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I thought I read in Balance Point that it was repaired/being repaired. Or perhaps it was another novel. I'm pretty positive I read it somewhere though.

6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The missiles Luke shot into the Death Star were Tac Nukes I think. I thought I heard that almost all of the weapons they used were nuclear.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Proton torpedoes aren't exactly nuclear weapons, or at least not the kind we're familiar with. They don't create mushroom clouds, or have months of radioactive fallout or anything. Maybe the GFFA can make nuke blasts more focused or something.

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Like cold fusion nukes.

9. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    For all the advanced technology in the SW universe, I'm surprised by the absence of machine guns! Let's see a Jedi deflect some bullets, eh?

10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Wouldn't lightsabers vaporize bullets?

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think a lightsaber would vaporize bullets.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Many backwater worlds in the GFFA use "slug throwers," which is a fancy name for bullet guns.

13. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    In my book, there is a nuke that lands on Coruscant.

14. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    For all the advanced technology in the SW universe, I'm surprised by the absence of machine guns! Let's see a Jedi deflect some bullets, eh?

We see the Sand People use bullets in TPM. I guess that would indicate that bullets are inferior to blasters.

15. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Hmmm. I don't remember bullets in TPM, but I'll take your word for it. It sure doesn't seem like handheld blasters are much more powerful than the gunfire of today, though, and bullets travel much faster and are smaller and less visible. Nowhere in the movies do we see Jedi moving at bullet-speed, so I always figured a guy with an M-16 could make short work of them.

But- SW isn't 'science fiction' in the most absolutely strict sense of the word (like Star Trek), so it's not exactly a really big deal.

16. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Hmmm. I don't remember bullets in TPM, but I'll take your word for it.

In the Pod Race, when the Tuskens are taking pot shots at the podracers. The sounds their guns make are similar to those of traditional gunfire, and you can clearly see the bullets ricochet off of Anakin's pod.

I think the fact that a primative race like the Tuskens use bullets, while the more advanced peoples of the galaxy use blasters would indicate the technical superiority of blasters.

17. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Blasters are superior to bullets because Dr. Lucas wants them to be.

Don't I sound like a Nazi?

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Blasters cause more damage than bullets when they hit.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Its said that stormtrooper armour is built to deflect bullets.

Shame they forgot about deflecting rocks etc.

As for nukes, well the Empire probably had the ability to make them, but found their other weapons could do the job more efficiently.

20. GA_Pellaeon

GA_Pellaeon Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Well the empire thought about making nuclear weapons, then they changed their mind and made Death Stars instead.

21. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Why would they need nukes when they have superlasers capable of destroying entire planets, and missilies capable of destroying entire Star systems?

22. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    Sure, constructing a Death Star is very expensive, it's cheaper then using tons of nukes to destroy a planet.

23. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    and bullets travel much faster and are smaller and less visible. Nowhere in the movies do we see Jedi moving at bullet-speed, so I always figured a guy with an M-16 could make short work of them.

Helllooooo, Mcflyyyyy! ;)

Bullets do not travel at the speed of light like blaster shots. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan use their "get the heck out of Dodge" force power in TPM.

M-16....bwaaahahahaha!

24. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    If Blasters traveled at the speed of light, then it would be impossible to even see the lasers coming from the blasters, laser cannons or turbolasers.

I think bullets travel faster than most blasters, though blasters are much more powerful.

25. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Man, we HAVE to see the blaster shots or they wouldn't look all cool and spacey!

Laser=light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.