main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are they flirting?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JMaster Luke, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Is it just me or is the fact that anakin and padme flirting during the jedi vs droids battle not right. Many Jedi are dying and all....This is like a huge D-Day attack for the Jedi and we have anakin and Padme flirting during the fight...something about that does sit well.

I think even 3p0's lines should of been removed (not that i didn't like them, but this is a serious part of the movie) This is the first battle in the clone wars...the wars that starts the down fall of the jedi. we hear ben kenobi talking about it in ANH. scary time but yet we have anakin and padme flirting in this huge battle.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's clearly not supposed to be a scary moment. It's supposed to be an awesome action sequence a la Star Wars. The line exchange between Anakin and Padmé fits the mood perfectly.
    ROTS will probably be dark enough. We don't need the war scenes in AOTC to be all serious.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Why did the big three argue snarkily while trying to escape the army barracks in ANH? Why did the Ewoks have silly moments in what was a violent, viscious final battle in the fight against the Empire? Why did Han and Leia have a tender moment in the middle of the Endor battle while everyone around them was dying? Having a slightly comedic scene break up the tension in an otherwise intense scene is nothing new. It's called "comic relief," and can more or less be found at some point or another in almost any movie that's dramatic. It breaks the tension for the audience so they aren't on a constant cliffhanger, and in the context of the film, it's likely doing a same thing for the characters interacting.

Star Wars isn't generally about grim reality, and this is supposed to be an anxious but fun action sequence. If you want hardcore emotional intensity, then you're going to have to wait until episode III turns out. That's the *only* SW film where I think comic relief such as that will be inappropriate, unless the nature of the scene demands it.

4. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Why are they flirting?

Because they can.

5. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002

making jokes in the middle of a battle is a way of keeping your mind off of just how scared you are. cuz the moment you focus on your fear is the moment you lose your focus on the battle. dont give in to fear!!! there will be plenty of time to mourn once the shooting stops.

6. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    first off 3po's lines SUCKED, it was over-kill, but not because they were inappropriate to the nature of the scene, they just annoyed me

the flirting needs to establish that anakin and padme arent always DEALTH SERIOUS about everything when they talk. the last time they talked was right before they were executed...something light needs to come after

it works and I like it...its a good line

7. Kickthecan

Kickthecan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    i like the flirtyness

8. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I also liked the little lines, except that, the droids clearly had an opportunity to kill the both of them. That doesn't bother me because the good guy are always going to win.

9. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Goes back to EP. I and Obi-Wan's battle humor while escaping the Control ship.

10. Darth_Sirrah

Darth_Sirrah Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2005
    Well im sure that most guys would flirt with Natalie Portman if she was around

11. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
  12. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think that their flirting was any worse then say, Han and Leia during the battle of Hoth in ESB. Oh, and C3PO's lines were suppossed to "suck," they're called bad jokes for a reason.

13. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Of all those awkward moments in the heat of the battle, Anakin and Padme's bothers me the least. It brings back the line Anakin said earlier and is actually somewhat funny.

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    C'mon... it's not like one of them says: "Hey, screw this battle, let's find a nice quiet little tunnel and engage in our own aggressive negotiations."

They had like one line that was *maybe* flirty. And the kiss she gives him? Completely understandable since she just declared her love for him, and on top of that, they just saved themselves from an unfortunate gladiator-style execution.

C3PO's "lack of respect for the dead" was far worse than anything Anakin or Padme did... if you're choosing to see it that way, for some reason.

15. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    let me just add....i dont have a problem so much that they are flirting..... its mostly the way they are flirting...their facial expressions. They're both so very calm and padme is smiling so is anakin.

I have no problem with han flirting with leia when they just got her out of her cell. Han is yelling his head off and then tells luke "i dont know if i'm starting to like her or want to kill her (something like that)" but you can see that he is very deep into the battle...he's screaming and into the fight.

but when padme/anakin are flirting it seems as if they are in no danger...both very calm and smiling.

And obi wans line in TPM was funny. Again i dont have a problem with them flirting, just the way they are doing it i guess you can say.

I just think they needed to be alittle more serious thats all..........

but who cares the movie is awsome.... just something i wanted to bring out thats all.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It seems to me that they were out of harm's way for a little while there, which allowed them to share a little happy moment(because they'd just turned into an official couple). Right at that instant, it's not nearly as intense for them as it was outside Leia's cell.
    I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Personality is the key to art
    /LM

17. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    This is off-topic but 3PO was actually at his worst in Empire Strikes Back.

18. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    "3PO's lines were suppossed to "suck," they're called bad jokes for a reason. "

the reaction from them joke were like Christmas crakcer jokes

when you hear them , you go: " Ooooooooooooh - that was really bad *giggle*"

but not as campy

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Threepio rocked in Empire Strikes Back. He's just so perfectly oblivious to what humans really think.

As for the flirting, I thought it was very in-character, them both recognizing that some things are more important than murder.

20. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    You have to regard these pictures as what I call "stylized hyper-realism"; it is almost a form of exaggeration, and so therefore logical applications such as the one in question are ultimately superfluous. Once again, Lucas is paying homage to films from the 1930s and so forth, and you have to approach the Anakin-Padme interchange in that manner, and with that knowledge.

Anakin: Do you call this a "diplomatic solution"?

Padme: No, I call it "aggressive negotiations".

This exchange is not distracting because it is congruent to the form and style of the film - Lucas has set it up. If you demand psychological realism in action scenes, then I suggest that you go and watch "Apocalypse Now".

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    In the middle of battle, everyone is filled with adrenaline; this might just be their way of expressing it.

From the this-is-a-movie point of view, this is just George`s humor. There has been simillar situation in each SW movie.
    This dialogue enlightens the battle, so maybe this is George`s way of telling us that things can`t always be so dark. I just hope ROTS will have at least one funny sentence...

22. clone-of-jedi-killer

clone-of-jedi-killer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2004
    black hawk down,

RPG explodes, delta runs over to ranger "are you ok"
    ranger "i can hear bells ringing"

23. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Woo Hoo! Black Hawk down's one of my favorite movies. Sorry for bumping this moldy topic, but I had a question, I did a search and this popped up so I think it'll be ok to ask. Plus it's probably been answered a hundred times already. One more couldn't hurt.

What makes C-3p0 think R2 always gets himself into trouble?

"He always gets himself into trouble."

The two hardly know each other. From whence does he derive this notion?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Anakin and Padme were taking the time to remember a little convo they had over some fruit. A little fun between death and carnage, tasty malacha. meh.

24. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    From the this-is-a-movie point of view, this is just George`s humor. There has been simillar situation in each SW movie.

Not to this degree. I didn't see Wedge joking with Janson while Luke was getting shot down. Or Han and Leia flirting as Rebel soldiers and Ewoks died around them.

This light-heartedness in the battles is one of my major problems with the PT. Geonosis is the most horrible battle in centuries. And we see Anakin and Padme flirting? Why couldn't we see Anakin losing a friend from the temple? We have 3PO in the middle of the battle with his head and body seperated?

The comedy is out of place. Gallows humor I could appreciate. Not this stuff that noone over 12 years of age should even find slightly humorous.

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Not to this degree. I didn't see Wedge joking with Janson while Luke was getting shot down. Or Han and Leia flirting as Rebel soldiers and Ewoks died around them.

"I love you"
    "...I know"

That happens in the middle of the Battle of Endor

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.