main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC why are transhumanist computer nerds so scary?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Trip, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So I'm listening to NPR's On Point (with tom ashbrook!) and he has on this lady who is advocating trawling social media profiles and such to create AI "mind clones", like, computer programs that replicate the personality and such of individual people? and she is very excited about this idea instead of, like, viscerally horrified by it?

i just???

edit: apparently the interviewee is actually a she, oops

2. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Whilst the concept does sound creepy, I reckon it could have a useful application in counter-intelligence; think, infiltrating criminal and terrorist groups.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Ender needs to patent his beezel emulation algorithm.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm close friends with a transhumanist scientist-philosopher (yep, both) and, while kind of creepy when he talks about things like the ones OP mentions, he's just so full of hope about the survival of the human race that it's kind of contagious.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    so here is a link to the interview, which isn't up yet but is worth listening to when it is if you want to be horrified that people like this not only exist and but are also like, titans of industry or whatever.

also apparently she is transgender (which, lol of course she is) so i guess that explains why i thought she sounded like a guy.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    lol transhumanism

Darth Guy likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't see why that would be an "of course" thing.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

dont be transphobic, vivec

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Charlie Brooker called. He wants his plot to an episode of Black Mirror back.

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    mm yeah lacking any context (which would probably require more explanation and be more boring than it's worth) that does look pretty bad, sorry : /

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

"Be Right Back" was the second best episode after "Fifteen Million Merits", imho

eagerly anticipating the christmas special:

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

You're just faking this. You want to lull Jabba-wocky into a false sense of security, where he thinks he's not the only person in the JC insane enough to oppose our transhuman future.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Transhumanism: solving the problems of an 80-year human lifespan, our brains not needing software updates, and the elite of the world not literally being a different species.

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I read once about some transhumanist guy who wants to do the whole Transcendence thing and download his brain into a computer so he can outlive the end of Earth, our Sun, and maybe even our galaxy and universe.

Good luck with that happening within our lifetimes, buddy.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You're just being cruel to Wocky now. I think we should be convincing him of its viable offerings to the human race, not pretending his isn't a lone voice in he wilderness.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Transhumanism is a grotesque pity extended to the abnormal among us, that they should dream of a day when their aberrance and sickness could be expressed physically, and that there would be some obvious explanation for their perverse tendencies. It should never have existed.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Incorrect. The fusion of technology and flesh, and augmentation and upgrading of human abilities... it's perfection, writ large.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

okay, oscar pistorius page

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Ender's America.

21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Everyone knows it will exist, gain too much awareness & consciousness, and Capt. Kirk will turnaround debate with it and it will self-destruct.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Although I'm aware I'm agreeing with Danthe, I think this will never happen within our lifetime. It may happen some time in the future and even then I think only a few will be able to afford it. In other words, arguing about uploading our brains to a computer is moot and fit only for crappy sci-fi novels. But on the bright side, that also means some users here will never achieve immortality, and for that I am glad.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't understand how anyone tends to get the you out of your brain. Our conciousness was born and evolved with it, I have not heard even one single item on how you can legit get you out. Biological life extension? Sure, at some point. There is already all kinds of creatures made to live longer via genetic engineering. Just not humans yet. I don't see uploading.

Sarge likes this.
  25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Me too. I get the whole Robocop 2 "stick your brain inside a robot" thing, or how in the Superman comics Lex Luthor planted his brain inside a younger clone body, but taking your consciousness and putting it in a computer?

I just don't get it.