main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

SWC Why are we fans?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Pom, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 5

May 31, 2004
    Liked Star Wars since I first came across it in the 80's (Empire was in Cinema's for 1st time).

Once the net came about I started looking online about Star Wars mainly for information on Episode 1 and TFN was one site I did get news from.

Did not realise there was a forum until 2004.

2. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I wanted to write and read SW fan fiction. Discover the boards can be so much more as well!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  3. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2017
    When I saw Attack Of The Clones for the first time just after it came out in 2002, I was immediately hooked by the plot. I then watched the three original movies many times over, followed by The Phantom Menace and then read the novels and comic books non-stop.

It was at that point I decided to use my creativity and then put characters of my own into the galaxy far, far away and I have been working on them and their adventures since then and will continue to do so.

I really wanted to find a Star Wars forum for years, but I am glad that I finally found this board and became a member.

4. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001
    Wow, this made me look up when I registered, which was way too long ago! I started doing online Star Wars in late 96-early 97. By 98-99 TFN was THE place to go for hot news because back then you didn't have social media, mobile computing, blogs, online tools to create content instantly for anyone....

I started out on the Rebelscum.com side in 2000, then started to provide collecting news for TFN in early 2001. Over time people have moved on and I'm the only website staff left from the earlier days.

I have to admit, I never liked those earlier version of the forums (IGN days), and after moderating the Rebelscum Forums and getting phone calls at 3:00AM from some jerk wanting to know why he was banned I stepped back a bit from them all.

I like this new updated version and have been lurking more and more here lately.

I grew up a Star Wars fan, there was no defining moment when I decided to do this or that, its all just been the pursuit of Star Wars knowledge and knowing there is a community of others out there like me who like the same thing which is Star Wars!

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd The Man / Also Known as Bazinga'd star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I love everything Star Wars and wanted to be around like-minded and obsessed fans like myself.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent 2017 Celebrity Deathpool Winner star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I found the Technical Commentaries and it took me awhile to find out it was a part of a much larger website. I lurked for a long time and then joined up. I became one of George Lucas' millions of children in 1977.

firesaber and Bazinga'd like this.
  7. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I've loved just about everything Star Wars since before I can remember seeing the OT for the first time (I dot remember seeing the SEs for my first time). I lurked here for years before joining up, mostly because I grew up anticipating and loving the prequels (I started lurking around the time of TCW). It wasn't until Star Wars had died down just a little for me to finally join. My only regret joining the JCF in 2012 was not joining sooner.

8. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2018
    I love romance, rebellions, historical references and of course I love Natalie Portman.

9. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Because SW makes me feel good and is a far healthier/cheaper choice than Meth.

10. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Star Wars resonates with me because of its incredible characters, along with the virtually flawless mythology of Luke Skywalker sticking with me in particular.

11. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    My whole star wars love started with an actor by the name Ewan McGregor. His play as Obi-Wan Kenobi was just so incredible that I felt head over heels in love with that character. In the beginning, all I read about was Obi, but as I set myself deeper into the character, I found out that I had know the other stuff to get the entire picture of the character. So that led to I started to read, almost, every single SW books where Obi is a main/side character, and watch, and rewatch the movies. And before I know it, I know more about Star Wars than my own freaking life. :p

And so the obsession starts...

Another thing which made me love star wars was because of the unity that it brought me. The family feeling that this gigantic franchise brings is just awesome, so awesome that there isn't word for it. I love this big family and am proud to say that I'm part of it. :*[:D][face_love]

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What a question. Why am I a Star Wars fan? For me, Star Wars has always been there as long as I can remember. I first saw ANH in theaters when I was three years old and my parents say I was an immediate fan. From then on, it was something me and my friends loved. Star Wars was not a geeky thing in those days, it was what the cool kids liked. You weren't cool if you didn't like it. We played Rebels vs. Empire all the time. I remember getting models, toys, action figures and more for Christmas and birthdays. I remember my childhood best friend excitedly describing the Emperor in ROTJ and how cool and scary he was.

From there, it just sort of always carried on. Even during the "dark years" between like 1984 and 1993, we kept chatting about things here and there. Totally unfounded rumors about the prequels being made. I remember in Jr High school in like 1988 some kid was saying that Lucas was writing them and gonna make them, something which eventually happened but not until 1993. Once the whole Expanded Universe stuff started in the early 90s, my friends and I were all adults and we gobbled that stuff up.

I literally don't remember a time in my life when I was not a Star Wars fan. I have no idea how to articulate why I became a fan.

13. Wookiekisser

Wookiekisser Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2018
    I was sort of born into it? My father is a big scifi/comic nerd and I got introduced to MANY shows/movies at a young age just due to exposure. It started with Star Trek (yes yes I know completely different) and I was obviously around the Star Wars original series but REALLY got into it when the prequels came out, as new material always draws me in and I quickly become obsessed with finding out as much as I can about its universe, characters, relationships etc. It didn't help that my parents started homeschooling me in grade 6 and as an already shy pre teen I had nothing to put my thoughts and feelings into. I remember spending HOURS in the public library reading the "Young Jedi Knights" and "Legends" series'. Alas my interest moved to other things for awhile when I hit my teens and went to highschool. But here I am with renewed interest at new material [face_thinking]

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Star Wars is what made me decide to pursue filmmaking and basically defined what I wanted out of my life and career, so it has been the most influential thing in my life besides my parents. Whatever I have given to Star Wars, it has given more to me for sure.

I've been posting here forever. My main enjoyment out of posting is typically reading what other fans have to say about the movies, not as far as quality (I really don't care about someone not liking a movie, they won't change my mind), but theories and explanations. Some people have really made great posts enlightening me about something or making me look at something in a different way and that's awesome. It's like they actually improve my appreciation of a Star Wars movie and that's pretty cool!

15. Lady Belligerent

Lady Belligerent • WNU Adoptions Coordinator• star 7 VIP - Game Host

Jan 29, 2008
    Both of these, plus the SWdotCom boards were being closed and many folks were over here too.

16. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Stumbled upon Star Wars during college days in the late 90s and at the peak of The Phantom Menace mania, being the first movie to come out since Return of The Jedi in 1983... As it was also a topic of conversation at class, my curiosity was piqued and in addition to watching the movie with friends at the mall near college, I also saved up money to buy two prized model kits from the local Toys R Us - a Millennium Falcon and Death Star made by German modellers Revell (both of which were accidentally destroyed due to fall from great height, a few years later)... :p

Too bad the movie itself was a dud and the subsequent two were so disappointing (even if I've grown to appreciate Revenge of The Sith over the years) that it turned me off Star Wars for a while... Fast-forward to 2015's The Force Awakens (plus a visit to Legoland Malaysia and their famous Star Wars Mini Land), which reignited my love for Star Wars once more, and this has continued over three movies into 2018! =D=

TFA also kick-started the second wave of my model collection, starting with the purchase of the Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon in November 2015 (she's the one in my avatar picture, and is my longest-existence model today) and now grown into over 30 of them... With the Falcon also ended up as the centerpiece of my entire existence on social media! ^:)^