main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why are we looking for Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by George_W_Boushh, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015

do people really think this? You really don't think its more than Ford didn't want to be in any subsequent movies and said he would come back for ONE to give closure to the character, more so? I have a very strong feeling Ford forced their hand here, more than studio people wanted to screw us all out of having Luke Skywalker in the movie. I mean, really, TFA is partly Han's movie...and if you're gonna kill the fan favorite character, he should honestly get his own movie almost to do it in. I have no doubt Episode 8 will be heavily Luke centric in terms of OT characters. Leia was never allowed to be flushed out so she'll always just be a glorified cameo in these new movies, IMO.

Death Wizard likes this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, it's not true at all. As can be easily proven by looking at the recent interview done with Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt.

How to implement Luke was something that Arndt had huge problems with. He couldn't find a way to introduce him without reducing everyone else to being irrelevant. As soon as Luke arrived, the new characters were pushed back into a lesser role. He tried multiple different approaches, but it always turned out the same way. Hence the idea to make the movie about finding Luke, because that way you solve two problems at once. This problem didn't really exist with Han Solo, because he's not a Jedi. Han is a hero, but he can't really deal with anyone who wields the force, that is just way out of his league. Luke, however, would be expected to wipe the floor with everyone. There would be no urgency in the final battles, and the new heroes would fall flat because everyone would only have eyes for Luke.

The new heroes needed to work, they need to carry this trilogy, which means they needed to be the focus of this movie.

Evetssteve10 and GregMcP like this.
  3. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Sorry but using Luke as the McGuffin was a brilliant idea.

4. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Because he's the most likely to win and not kill her son.

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I understand that a too powerful Luke from the beginning on was a problem to introduce the new characters and also a problem to have the Han Solo farewell movie, but the 'Search for Luke Skywalker' was not the only way to do it. There would have been different ways to solve these problems:

1. Yes you can do a search for Luke, but find him in the 3rd act and he helps a little bit defeating anyone of the villains.
    2. You can have a captured Luke and Han + the kids need to rescue him.
    3. You can have a Luke who lost his powers (after a battle with Snoke etc) and he needs the help of Han + the kids
    etc.

With these solutions you can include Luke earlier in the story, but he will not overpower the others. If you have a captured Luke, you can have a very interesting interaction between Luke and Snoke to learn more about the background of their conflict. If you have a Luke who lost his powers, you also have a lot of conflict and how Luke + others deal with it. He may feel useless and Han + co need to convince him to continue and get the force connection back etc. Endless possibilities, but they decided to use the most lazy one, but now you have the problem to explain why Luke sits out the whole conflict, lets several planets be destroyed and lets Han die. [face_sigh]

T-R- likes this.
  6. LikeMike

LikeMike Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    That is actually a pretty good question. Not why he is Important, that is clear I think. But he didn't disappear, he wanted to vanish. He knew about Kylo, having been his teacher, And he probably knew about Snoke seducing Ben. And he still vanished - that means, Even if Leia would have found him, he wouldn't want to come back. Leia would Need something to convince him, and it didn't seem like she had anything until Rey showed up.

So for Leia it should have been the search for something or someone that can convince Luke to come back - not the search for Luke. Which is of course how the Movie played out. The map as the McGuffin was a Weak Point of the Movie in my opinion. It was too convenient for R2 to just wake up And that whole storyline didn't feel earned. They didn't do anything to find him, it just happened. Stealing the map from Starkiller-base would have been a better Story Beat. Or just make it the clear side Story, And put more emphasis on the danger of starkiller base - because that Sidestory didn't have any dramatic feel to it. It just showed up And got destroyed in a matter of half an Hour it seems like.

GregMcP and nightangel like this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    In part because when Arndt was writing Luke was the main character of the Big Three and he was overpowering in the scenes he was in. So he gets pushed to cameo and Han and Leia get more screen time.

T-R- and nightangel like this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It is in the movie, Han tells Rey and Finn Luke is suspected to be at the temple and Kylo Ren explains they found the incomplete map in the Empire's archives.

9. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I felt it was pretty straightforward as well.

10. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I think a better question would be "why bother?" Luke clearly doesn't care about his friends anymore.

Not the Luke of Empire Strikes Back, who would forgo his training to save his friends. He just let his nephew slice up his best friend despite knowing it would happen. He let an entire planet be destroyed moreover.

This is not the Luke Skywalker of the GL era (a shame in my opinion.)

11. OZQUAD44

OZQUAD44 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke failed in his attempts to bring a new Jedi order to the Galaxy, at the cost of his nephew, and the pain of his friends... (Now where have we heard of this premonition)

How did that make him feel, angry, hurt, afraid, full of revenge, and remorse? My guess is that Luke, for the second time, has been given the ultimate test to resist the dark side of the force. How did he do this? He Become a Jedi monk. At what cost, he lost Han. What cost would it have been if he turned to the dark side? IMO Luke has taken the lessor of two evils.

Why are we Looking for him? We need him. The Galaxy is in the ****, and "obi wan" skywalker is our only hope.

That is of course until Rey learns to kick some serious butt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

This does not make any sense to me. I never saw why it was necessary for the Jedi's presence to have peace, let alone balance the Force. The Jedi's presence did not prevent the Clone Wars, let alone other minor conflicts like the Invasion of Naboo. During their existence in the Old Republic, the Force was out of balance. I wonder if J.J. Abrams really understood what he was doing, when he co-wrote this script.

xezene likes this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    R2 didn't just wake up, though maybe it doesn't come across quite as planned by Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt.
    The idea is that BB-8 tries to wake up R2, because he has parts of the map to find Luke, and R2 seemingly doesn't react to it. But while he doesn't appear to be active, R2 checks all the data he has stored, and finds the pieces of the map in question. This harks back to what Kylo Ren says earlier on: that the First Order has the other part of the map, found in the Imperial archives. This is where R2 got the map from, when he was connected to the mainframe of the first Death Star. In other words, R2 already downloaded something that he didn't know was of much use at that point. It's only now, that he checks for any maps, that he recovers it again. This triggers him to wake up, because he knows that BB-8 has the other part.

It isn't really spelled out that way in the movie, which is why it seems a bit odd. It's definately how it is supposed to be, as evidenced by the interview given by Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt.

Um, if the Jedi hadn't existed, the force would have been even more out of balance. See what Lucas actually said about what balance means (I'm not sure if Abrams and Kasdan really got that actually). The force in its normal state flows normally. there is evil involved, but just as part of the normal circle. It's not supposed to be equality of good and evil. The force got out of balance when the Sith started to twist it into something else, which in turn led to the force creating someone to bring it back into balance by wiping out the darksiders.

If there are no Jedi in the current galaxy, but plenty of Sith-like beings, the odds are that they will start to twist the force out of balance again. So while the Jedi aren't technically necessary to keep the force in balance, they are kind of needed if there are darksiders around. This is even more true when it comes to peace. It doesn't take Jedi to keep two side without force-users at peace, but it definately does take some if one of the sides has darksiders involved, because you just know that the darksiders aren't interested in having a peace that doesn't have them rule over the galaxy.

14. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Rey still needs someone to train her regardless of her being this powerful Force user. She needs someone to teach her to control her power. She was already giving into hate with the Kylo Ren sscenes (Luke has done that in the past), but Rey could either be a new hope or a new enemy. Obviously its the latter. So we need Luke.

15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    She is definitely not the latter. She is the main hero of the ST.

Good points on how the Force is kept in balance. I found it different as well when i read the opening scroll and saw it about finding Luke. I mean i know that was a large part of the story but the PT and OT was always about the factions and not necessarily individuals.

16. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Leia misses her brother and realizes that Luke is powerful enough to bring down the First Order. Simple as that.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Cuz he's Luke freakin' Skywalker, that's why!

What, you weren't paying attention in the original movies? Luke can do anything that he believes he can do. That is why he succeeds.

18. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Yawn

You know instead of whining you could wait and see what *gasp* actually happens in the same movie

19. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

(neither is finn)

20. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    he is the biggest force wielder and he could train more force weilders...

21. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

my entire theater went nuts when Luke came on at the end

22. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

You just put that to bed