main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WHY ARE WE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS?!! (Firefly MMORPG)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I think it's a wonderful idea, alas a MMORPHG game? :( Boo!

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My money is on its being set post-Serenity. As the Operative mentions, the Alliance has been dealt a blow, and I think the balance has changed. I'd say there'll be plenty of room both for basic local planetary action and for a bigger story concerning the Alliance.

-Paul

3. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Post Serenity? Lame, no Wash, no Preacher, no Mr Universe :p

"I'm a leaf on the wind!"

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dammit Quest, I am going to sleep with your girlfiend for this.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    IGTL, I don't think having too many factions won't work for an MMO. WoW works well because it's very binary - you're Alliance or (W)Horde. Sure, you can get reputation with other groups - but you know that if you're an Alliance race, the Horde races are your enemy.

You gotta figure that PvP will play a part in these, and there's nothing worse than a free for all with no clear direction.

It would be need to be basically pro- or anti-Alliance in faction theme to work. Instead of being able to become a companion for example, you could simply gain reputation with the Companions in order to get cheaper goods from them (Not services, dirty boys and girls! Goods - medicine, ammo, martial arts training for example)

E_S

6. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Personally I'm gonna play as a Britishy psycotic low-life with a very fine hat.

Call myself Hamster.

7. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    Nobody's talking about it because Firefly was a dumb show that ran for about 2 weeks, many years ago. Let it go.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_worried] I do believe a thousand terrible things will be coming your way from the dark depths of Soontir's black soul... ;)

Still, regardless of your opinion of the show, it's undeniably a popular franchise with a broad appeal, whose fans basicly managed to get a movie made, so it makes perfect sense for there to be some excitement over the announcemnet of an addition to the franchise.

9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    But the fairing of the movie at the box office shows that it wasn't quite as popular as thought. I remember before it came out a number of film critics was certain it was going to be #1 for several weeks, make hundreds of millions of dollars, ensure at least two more sequels, create its own spinoff franchise...whereas more than a year after the release, we'll be lucky to see another comic miniseries.

Although granted an MMORPG isn't the same as a movie.

10. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    It really is SO weird that Serenity got major critical acclaim, it was even made Film Of The Year for 2005 by British audiences, and yet did not as grandly as everyone thought.

What is it about the series, and the film, that people dislike?

11. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    [image=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/Jaden-Skywalker/you_fail_02.jpg]

12. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    Firefly failed, not me.

13. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    WTH is Firefly?

14. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Mostly the godawful dialog and "lol wild west IN SPACE" contrivances.

The whole "let's do the opposite of what's expected and make a big deal out of it" schtick was cute for an episode or two, and then got really old.

And, seriously, when it's CGI there's no excuse for a shaky camera. It does not make it gritty and cool, it gives me a headache.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It is quite strange that Serenity got great critical acclaim and very positive word of mouth (especially among Star Wars fans) yet didn't do very well at the box office. But I guess there's nothing you can do to overcome the fact that Sept is just an incredibly bad time to release a sci-fi movie in theaters.

Though I believe, much like the TV series, the film did very well on DVD (I know I ended up buying about 4 or 5 copies as gifts last year). I could see the franchise continuing in the form of DVD movies if the SG-1 and B5 ones sell well next year, since that seems to be where it succeeds the most.

And SC- Firefly was a sci-fi/western TV series by the creator of Buffy, it was messed around by Fox and cancelled after only a dozen episodes or so. However, a combination of very good DVD sales and fan support got a theatrical film, Serenity, produced last year, which acted as both a stand alone movie but also as a means of wrapping up some of the major story arc elements introduced in the series.

It's actually quite damn enjoyable and seems to have a very broad appeal- go buy the boxset now, and you won't regret it.

16. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I would, but I can't afford anything =( What with it being christmas and all.

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    'tis the season to be poor.

18. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, i've become so torn when it comes to FIREFLY..

When it first aired, i thought it was a solid Network Scifi show airing during a time where there was very little scifi out there (and in fact we were right in the middle of the REALITY TV phase where actual shows with story were a rarity). I was quite angered with FOX because they completely botched it, deciding to not even air the episodes in order (going so far as to air the pilot as the VERY LAST EPISODE. WHAT?)

Westerns and Scifi are 2 of my 3 favourite genres, so combining the two made for an enjoyable fit for me.

However, while the dedication of FIREFLY fans was cute at first, they have overrated the show to the point of absurdity.

It's good, but it's not THAT good.

19. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Yes, I agree. Firefly fans, and Whedon fans in general, frighten me with the level they (on average) take their fanworship.

Me, I liked the show, bought it on DVD, but wasn't that big a fan of the movie. Saw it once and never had any desire to see it again. In fact, I'd say I border on not liking it.

20. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    OK, give us a break.

LOTR fans are scarier than us, they have elves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.