main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Why are you a Star Wars fan?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawafett, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Why are you a Star Wars fan?
    Why do you continue to be a Star Wars fan?
    How can we continue to be a Star Wars fan group?
    Your thoughts and input please.

-Eric

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Because I can be. :p

No, the real reason is that I love the franchise, and wanted to be a part of a local fan group that could get together and talk about the franchise.

3. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Um... Er... :confused:

I don't really think about this a whole lot. I guess I like how Star Wars is wholesome, safe fun. It is vast enough that you can choose your own areas of interest and examine different ideas and concepts both within the GFFA (ex. use of Clones) and externally (ex. influences upon the SW authors).

I actually took a break from SW for a while when I could not draw up enough interest to finish reading Vector Prime. The Clone Wars era has drawn my interest again.

In the beginning of OFF, it was a bunch of locals going to the SW movies together and then grabbing something to eat afterwards while espousing upon what they had just watched. Since the GFFA has a very wide scope, it is hard find something that everyone has been exposed to or is interested in. It might be a good idea to host activities that first introduce something to everyone and then allow people to explore that together, so we're all on equal footing.

Like we could watch the movies or the animated series or even dig out some obscure SW movies. Or maybe one meeting can be a Mando'a language lesson? Or an art and craft day, where we bring a bunch of art supplies and just make fanart. I mean this is kiddy stuff, but I have no shame if it means a fun SW filled day. And don't we already get flack for being SW fans anyway?

Hope this helps. MTFBWYA

4. brigandarklung

brigandarklung Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    I have enjoyed star wars since I was little, and I have simply evolved that enjoyment as I have grown up. I joined the ranks of the fan force in Orange county, which had a much bigger club that had a physical presence. I got hooked on meeting other geeks like myself that were just regular people. I enjoy the smaller group up here, there are far less politics and the group is the clique; However, it would be nice to meet up once in a while and not feel like a pedophile at a pizza joint with a bunch of little kids.

I think we need to set a regular meeting date. For example say the third saturday of every other month or something. That way is scheduled and we can say no to other things instead of no to this group.

5. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Having a regular meeting date each month will probably help the most. The other main obstacle is location.

What kind of things did they do in Orange County?

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Having a monthly meetting certainly sounds enticing. But the problem is when RL comes up and we can't actually have a decent meeting that day.

Idea if we ever went to a monthly-meeting system: if we can't meet on a scheduled date, we could try to find another day that month where we can get a meeting in.

7. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Why am I a Star Wars fan. It started when I was a wee little lad. Star Wars had been released in the area (Summer of `78), even though it had become a pop cult classic the year before.

I remember that night, vividly. The location was a drive-in movie theatre on McLoughlin Blvd (Hwy 99E), in Oak Grove area - between Gladstone and Milwaukie. Of course now it is a car dealership, but I am digressing!

I remember this night well, because we all piled into the white Mustang, that belonged to the guy my mom was seeing the time, to see this new kick butt movie. It was especially memorable because my older brother was feeling well enough to go see this movie. That was a big deal, since he was battling Leukemia.

That is why I am such a hige fan of the Star Wars story; it was the first, and last, movie that I ever saw with my older brother before he died. For me, carrying on the fandom of the saga is what keeps his memory burning bright!

It is the honoring of his memory that led me to get into the costuming aspect of the fandom. When I don that costume, it is as if I do it for him. He rides on my shoulder and together, we go out and entertain the masses, especially kids. This is why I am so hell-bent on supporting children's charities that deal with helping kids suffering from cancer. It is all about giving back to the community, and giving hope to those who need it.

That is why I am a fan!

What can we do to continue being a Star Wars group? Just keep doing what we do. Find our greatest strengths and utilize them. For some of us, it is the costuming. For others, it is just sharing time together and developing relationships with each other. The greatest strength there is community development! We develop it within ourselves, which, in turn, helps when we are reaching to the outside communities.

I like the idea of having themed meetings. I like the idea of having regularly scheduled meetings set to some semblance of order. It would give our group something that it has never really had, organized structure. I think if we tackle organizational structure, everything else will fall into place.

- Bill

8. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm a star wars fan because I love to goob out on things, it is my natural way. I kinda lost that with SW for a bit, but I think this is the perfect time to start goobing out on it again.

9. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    why am I....???well i guess because when star wars first came out i was like 6 and every thing to a 6 year old is real life so to watch the cantina scene on a huge drive in theater screen on opening night i might add (cough cough) dude it was so real to me and it sucked me in and never let go it actually became a huge part of my life i seriously dontknow who i would be with out star wars... and im gonna throw it out there I LOVE THE PUPPETS MORE THAN CGI!!!!!!!! they were more real i guess im just old school.... and im so stealin your saying lorena jade...goobing out thats awesome LOL

10. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Larena is our resident goob.... btu we wouldn't have it any other way!

- Bill

11. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    and why am I resident goob? I'm not the one who was goobing out on Lando. :p

12. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Ummm... because you freely admitted that you were the resident goob, duh! :p

You got a point, though.... Eric was goobing out on Lando, wasn't he? :D

- Bill

13. DarthBane95

DarthBane95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2009
    I am a Star Wars fan because I've liked since I was 4 in 1999. I have endless memories of Star Wars, and I continue to make memories. Star Wars has shaped who I am. If Star Wars had not been made I'm sure none of us would be who we are today.

I've never been to a fanforce meeting, I've never even been to a convention. I have been to Star Wars In Concert though. I would love to go to a fanforce meeting or a convention but I live so far away from any of those things. I live in Nebraska and theres none of those things here. I may be going to CV though if I raise enough money before the tickets sell out

14. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    Larena take the title of resident goob and wear it with pride you be the female title holder and ill be the male title holder ( i was gonna say queen and king but your spoken for ;) ) then again i have to pry it from jawafetts hands he was goobin on lando LOL but he has a killer cache of star wars stuff in that pack of his when i get my sh...tuf out of storage ill have to show and tell it too....i guess i should go to that web site and goob out on lando a bit

15. brigandarklung

brigandarklung Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    Sorry It took so long, but internet access isn't easy to come by yet. But in orange county they would do trivia type games for prizes (usually the last winner would devise a game and supply the prize, which could be anything. I.E. legos, an action figure, a pez dispenser, etc.) Then they would just discuss happenings, like for us would be like free comic book day, stumptown comics festival, brewfests, faires, meet ups, etc., etc.. I know we are a smaller group so activities are more limited but we all seem to have no problem visiting for a few hours when we do meet up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.