main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why aren't Luke and Mara considered murderers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Face Loran, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
  2. Master_Shier

Master_Shier Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2001
    There are too many points for me to consider in one post, so I will concentrate on the major points and flaws that I have read in the past two pages.

First, I think I must clear up some issues.

One, no one in the Rebellion or New Republic can be considered terrorists. Terrorism is defined as: the threat or use of violence, often against the civilian population, to achieve political ends. It is used for political, not military, purposes, and by groups too weak to mount open assaults. The Rebellion and New Republic both engaged in open assault against the Empire. Any activities like the assault on Mount Tantiss were not terrorist operations. By the same definition, Kyp Durron, with exception of the Carida incident, is not a terrorist either, since his attacks were not random, overly violent, and didn't specifically target the civilian population. Also, since the goal of both the Rebellion and Kyp was to stop the agression of an enemy, their attacks served a military purpose.

Two, the reason Luke felt a strong buzz in the Force from Luuke is not only that Luuke was his duplicate, but also that Luuke was grown in a ysalamiri field. All clones grown in a ysalamiri field emit a slight buzz in the Force. C'baoth didnt have this buzz since he was cloned without ysalamiri.

Well, where should I begin? How about the beginning. Here we go.

Face Loran, your initial premise of the clones being illegitimate targets because they have committed no crimes is flawed. Think of how many rookie storm troopers and Imperial officers everyone in the rebellion killed. Are the rebels considered murders? No, since the Rebellion was at war with the Empire. It doesn't take a 'crime' for someone to be a legitamate target for military action. Members of an opposing military force are never innocent.

Tiershon Fett, your points about Mara Jade are not only irrelevant but utterly wrong. She was initially greeted with hostility and suspicion when she came to the New Republic. No one trusted her. The fact of the matter is we're still not sure what she did as Emperor's Hand. Also, she was raised from childhood by the emperor, taught to do his bidding. He also probably had a small part of his mind intermixed with hers, which is why she could hear his call anywhere and why she was so affected my his death. She knew no other behavior than that dictated to her by the Emperor. But back to the topic.

Face Loran, your later point about Luke and Mara not being held to the same standard as Kyp is completely wrong. You can take my previous response to your argument and apply it to this question. Luke and Mara commited no crimes to be held accountable for. Kyp did. He was directly responsible for the deaths of billions of people. But people can change, as Kyp (sort of) and Mara have.

I did want to post a longer response but I'm tired and need to go to bed.

In the end, the explosion of Mount Tantiss murdered no one while the destruction of Carida murdered a few billion.

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    And, of course, I don't believe there were any clones in the cylinders to begin with. That sort of changes the Tantiss argument.

4. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I haven't gone through all the pages of this post, but I saw the first question and I have to disagree with this:
    "I'm not arguing that what Luke did was wrong. They believed it needed to be done, that killing the clones was in the best interests of the galaxy, and I agree.

This reminds me of a conversation I had awhile with my mom about abortion. Keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm not trying to make you believe it. Thousands, more than thousands die every year. Is it right, absolutely not. But yes, sometimes it needs to be done. It is NEVER "right" but there are times when what is "right" would cause more overall pain than what is wrong.

Anyway, this isn't really an answer justifying Luke's actions, but it is a similar situation for me.

5. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    About the Yuuzhan Vong on the New Worldship that Kyp destroyed,they were yuuzhan vong reguardless of what age they are or wether or not they were fighting in the war, those little bastards will grow up into ruthless warriors and shapers that would gladly slaughter anyone Supreme Overlord Shimraa says is an Infidel, they are invading and conquering worlds killing them is mandatory, the mere fact that they are Yuuzhan Vong justifies this fact.

The bad thing about it all is that killing them and destroying the worldship ruins the truce and restarts the war again before the New Republic is ready to fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.