main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why aren't the droids let into the pub in Mos Eisley?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by captainnorth, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainnorth

captainnorth Jedi Master star 1

May 22, 2005
    I think it's pretty harsh on them. The guy who runs the pub barred them straightaway. I don't get it.

2. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    The only thing I could think of is that people in the pub either fought over them or some were stolen and caused a ruckus of sorts.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    A common answer is also that droids aren't paying customers.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The owner hates droids.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What TLJ said - droids just take up space in a bar without buying anything to drink, keeping that space from paying customers. Doesn't endear them to the bartender or many of the customers.

There are also stories where droids in bars have to pay (well, their owners do) an entry fee or pay for drinks like a living being would.

6. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    It's really no different from real-world store/bar owners who don't let everybody use their bathrooms, only paying customers.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Good comparison, given that we don't have fully automated robots running around all over the place.

Yet :p

8. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Even if they are helping their owners, they may make a mess and be unsanitary, (especially if not finely tuned and cleaned, heh)

From the ATOC script:

The great, gloomy hold is crowded with EMIGRANTS and their
    belongings. To one side ARTOO is coming to the head of a
    food line holding two bowls. With one of his little claw
    arms, he grabs a chunk of something that looks like bread.

ARTOO slips a tube into a tub of mush and sucks up a large
    quantity. A SERVER sees him.

SERVER: Hey! No Droids!

ARTOO takes one last big suck and heads away from the food
    line. The SERVER shouts after him angrily.

Lord knows where ARTOOs tube has been before. :eek: :p [face_laugh]

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    At the Cantina in Mos Eisley many of the patrons are up to no good, and they don't want droids around recording conversations.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I think this (together with them taking up space that could be occupied by paying customers) is the main reason. People are often suspicious of droids in general, and in the cantina especially there are too many customers that would be paranoid because droids could be there for spying purposes.

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree with the above points. Droids just aren't welcome in those kinds of places.

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    When taking the prequels into account, I think it'd also be safe to say that people are wary of droids considering droids were what made up the separatist fighting force. People just wouldn't trust them to not shoot them.

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, if droids could drink, there'd be none of us here, would there? Wait, that's not right...

14. captainnorth

captainnorth Jedi Master star 1

May 22, 2005
    R2D2 and C3PO must be underage or sommat. Then again, wouldn't they both be about thirty odd by episode 4? You would have thought they would have some ID on them like and wanna go out and have it. I think they're defo old enough cos R2D2 worked on Jabba's boat in Return of the Jedi and served drinks. he was pretty good at it and all.

Maybe it's cos the bar's out of oil or stopped serving cos some robots got hammered on oil and vodka one night. I am suprised they don't give the barman a bit more lip mind for kicking them out. Then again, maybe it takes them a few litres of oil to get droids revved up.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think in the whole thing it just boils down to a distrust of droids in general. Seeing as they have many uses from integration to general conversation to recording devices. So most people would be leering of even being around droids. Also if you notice in the movies other then our main heroes most everyone else interacts differently with the droids. While Luke kind of treats them like they have rights, Uncle Owen treats them like a piece of machinery.

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Well the major reason why they don't like droids is because of the clone wars. Everyone remembers the oppression and fear of them invading planets and generally tearing the galaxy apart during those times and it made a big impact on the galaxy.

It started after TPM with the naboo invasion and ever since then the galaxy has been weary and suspicious of them.

EVEN in the PT (after TPM) the general populace just doesn't like them anymore because they have been frequently used by privet armies like the triad federation to terrorize whole planets for one reason or another. So by the time of ANH after the clone wars the galaxy cant stand droids. :-B

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    This.

18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I auctually heard on a commentry buy George lucas it had something to due with the clone wars.

19. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Droidism.

Not to be confused with Druidism. Druids are welcome at the Mos Eisley Cantina.

20. Sideshowbobz

Sideshowbobz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    One particular integration that comes into mind - turning a droid into a walking bomb. Clever way to remove several enemies at once. Considering there was a droid detector at the door, I'm guessing their presence is taken pretty seriously.

Secondly, the "taking up space" argument makes great sense as well. The last thing a drunk alien wants to deal with is some droid getting in the way. The place is for eating and drinking food (as well as the ensuing conversations that occur over such nourishment), and droids don't require this.

Although I wonder what would happen if IG-88 showed up.....

21. Sweetcurse

Sweetcurse Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    Reminds me of a day after work. The guys and I were chilling outside talking. One of them started making jokes about some of the girls but before he started, he made sure everyone had their phones off. That's one reason.

22. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Droids aren't allowed into Mos Eisley pubs because they're such sloppy
    drunks. God, another C3 unit on a crying jag... "Yooo jush donut unnerstan
    whad itz LIKE.. yoo here meee.. whad itz LIKE!!! Stoopid oll Shzedi Masstirr
    thinkks he noes evvereething.."

They also have a problem keeping their hands to themselves. Just ask
    Bib Fortuna. Poor guy still has bruises on his bum.

23. X-Factor

X-Factor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2009
    This.

24. DRSTROMM

DRSTROMM Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2009
    would have to agree with the droids being able to record conversations...that and some of the local watering holes do alot of gambling. Don't think I would want to play cards or chess against a machine..let alone against someone with a droid helping them...also alot of criminals and bounty hunters would probably be doing buissness here...last thing they would want is a droid to sit at the next table video re-laying there conversation...

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'll go one step further and say that droids are essentially slaves, and it is improper to invite your droid to a drinking establishment as if it were an equal. "We seem to be made (born) to suffer -- it's our lot in life" really drives home the slavery parallel, IMHO.

Droids are perceived as being inherently inferior, and so it's offensive to treat them as peers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.