main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why can't GL make *everyone* spoiler free til episode 3?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by markdil, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I mean really. For ROTJ, they did all this hush-hush stuff so that people wouldn't know the story before the movie came out? Why can't George keep a lid on it these days?

I was unspoiled for episodes 1 and 2, and I will remain so for episode 3, so I don't even really know where all of this information comes from? Can't people just keep quiet?

The biggest problem was when the AOTC novel came out a few weeks before the movie. WHY??!?!?! I enjoy being spoiler free and I will remain so no matter what (I don't even watch trailers) but it DOES bother me that all these other people know every detail of the story before the movie is even out. Why does George allow this? Could he stop it if he wanted to?

2. WishboneKenobi

WishboneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    From what I have seen, Lucas does a pretty good job of not giving things away. Like you said the books are a problem. Can't they come out after the Movie? I guess when you are makeing such a big movie something will leak but avoiding spoilers isn't too hard if you just avoid certin webpages and magizines.

Good luck staying spoiler free!!!

3. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    ROTJ was filmed before the internet was really "around" the way it is today, and now spoilers are a lot easier to get. Before, it was relatively easier to hide spoilers. ;)

I don't care if other people go spoiler-free or not, that's their choice. What I *do* mind are the people who blab about spoilers. >_<;; I swear, some of those people..grr...

The books are a problem, but so long as the cover doesn't give too much away, I don't have a problem-I just won't read it until after I see the movie.

4. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    You would think that basic morality and common social ethics would prevent someone from leaking information they've become aware of... but this is not so. I'm dreading the day when someone posts a spoiler for their subject line and all of us come in unnexpectedly.

CURSES!!

5. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Back in the Jedi, the internet was a like 2 k speed.

Yeah, I too don't understand where these people get their info!!

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    It's hard when you have people swiping scripts and storyboards behind your back.
    That, and the good ol' net.
    I don't think Lucas could keep the color of his boxers secret much less the plot to the last SW film :p

7. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I do not see any moral component to this argument, provided there is no violation of a contract or law. It is simply a personal choice.

8. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Well look at all the soures who inside informatiom

You have
    The Toy Companys
    Designers
    Mold makers
    Painting
    Packaging
    Printing
    THE BOOKS
    Writers
    Publishers
    Printers
    ETC ETC...

There are so many people invovled in the process that it would me impossible to stop leaks these days.

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Back in the Jedi, the internet was a like 2 k speed.

The internet was farily high-speed back then, the problem was that it was only available to gov/mil and universities. There was CompuServe, but it was expensive and didn't have anywhere near the accessibility.

I agree with Sophita, though -- the internet gives an anonymity that really wasn't available then. I mean, if you leaked something to the press, there was gonna be a trail and a firing. Now you can just send an anonymous post to a forum.

10. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I agree with Sophita, though -- the internet gives an anonymity that really wasn't available then. I mean, if you leaked something to the press, there was gonna be a trail and a firing. Now you can just send an anonymous post to a forum.

That's what I mean. I mean, in the ROTJ (and before) days, even if you knew something, it was hard to get it out. I mean, you might tell you friends, but you couldn't tell a great deal of the world like you can with the net today. The mainstream media wouldn't carry it, so you'd be more or less left to fanzines, who, even if they did believe you and print it, also had a much more limited distribution than forums do today.

11. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    Fingorfin-

Are you kidding? Everytime one of the actors from the Star Wars movies are on t.v. or talk shows, everyone of the hosts tries and gets them to say something, and all of them have the same response. They can't talk about it. George has them sign some sort of secrecy agreement, and I woulnd't understand why he wouldn't with the rest of his staff. It's just you can't trust some people, because they are too weak to hold in what they find "too good" information.

12. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    If i went to work on Ep 3 as say, a cameraman would i have to sign a non-disclosure agreement? Could Lucas sue my ass off if i came on the net stating me name and details?
    or would i just get fired?

13. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    probably both at once.

14. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    When I was kid I knew every detail about RotJ before it opened because I had already read the novelization and the photo storybook. It was just as easy to be spoiled back then.

And just as many people want to be spoiled as those who don't. More probably.

15. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I don't wanna be spoiled and if people do, they can always go find out info from someone. Lucas just doesn't have to spoil us with teasers and toys and stuff. [/color]

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, this is exactly my problem.

I love this forum just like I loved the AOTC NSA forum, but I'm scared. I was spoiled a LOT in the AOTC NSA forum (by random morons) and I know it'll happen again here.

I'm going to watch the trailers once each, and that's it. "It will be a hard life, but I will not find out, what the movie is".

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

P.S. That quote was supposed to be like the Qui-Gon TPM tone poem. :D

17. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    i got 2 words for this.
    LOVE IT

18. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    If i went to work on Ep 3 as say, a cameraman would i have to sign a non-disclosure agreement? Could Lucas sue my ass off if i came on the net stating me name and details?
    or would i just get fired?

Yes. Both. That was why during the AOTC filming, all the spoiler sources (Sith Interceptor, Chyren and others) were so reluctant to reveal their sources or even where their info came from. They might inadverntly give something away that Lucasfilm could trace back to their source and that person could lose their job.

19. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    You wanna know nothing? It's easy!

Don't visit the internet, and especially not Star Wars sites. Don't read film mags, and especially those that indicate "plot spoilers". Don't read the novel. You don't even have to buy it at all. Don't watch the trailers. You know well in advance where a SW trailer is playing, so stay away.

This is all you have to do to know nothing about Episode III.

20. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Some people *ahem*me*ahem* don't want to be unspoiled. Personally i believe it's the journey rather than the destination that counts - and those who go unspoiled have no idea how fun it can be to speculate and speculate when spoiler info comes out... :D It's really just a personal choice - it'd be no fun if everyone had to go unspoiled! :(

Just my humble opinion of course. :)

LittleJedi

21. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    i don't want to know nothing about episode 3. i just don't want to know the plot, how everybody dies, and the obi-wan vs anakin duel. i wouldn't mind knowing the names of any new planets or seeing some pics. just not anything that will spoil the movie as far as knowing what will happen in each scene. like in ATOC with dooku being yoda's apprentice and stuff like that.

22. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I've tried both routes - spoiled for TPM and unspoiled for AOTC. And hand on heart - the unspoiled route was so much more exciting! I was like a little kid on that first showing. :)

23. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    (I don't even watch trailers)

Are you insane? The trailers are what get you excited man. Thats all they do for ya. And with scenes you see u can be like 'i wonder if' or 'hmmm... thats interesting' and specualte.

Spoiler - Free is the ticket!

24. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Yes I am completely insane.

What can I say? I like to go in fresh. The trailers give away way too much information. Seeing a Jedi battle scene, seeing Anakin and Padme together on Naboo... that would have given away too much about what was in the movie.

The only thing I knew was that Hayden was playing Anakin and we'd see Yoda fight. That's it! I didn't know anything about Dooku, or the clones, or Jango Fett. I had NO IDEA they'd go back to Tatooine, in fact, when that happened in the movie I thought, "Oh this is gonna be lame, back to Tatooine we go..." but then I was totally wrong as those were some of the best scenes! It actually shocked me when the ship blew up in the beginning! I wouldn't trade this "going in fresh" for anything... so no Ep3 trailers for me!

25. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I agree with Mark. I loved the shock of the ship exploding. I loved the shock at the tuscan camp. All because I avoided this site like the plague for the last year. But, I also learned some lessons. I learned that the figures I purchase for the new one has to go in a bag, and not even looked at. For AOTC, the Jar Jar box killed the senate scene for me. Also, I learned not to even thumb through the picture books. I was in a store, and I glanced over my friend's shoulder, JUST ONCE, but saw anakin laying down with his arm chopped. I was soooooo pissed!

It is hard, but once filming starts, the only site I am going to is starwars.com This is my last chance to be surprised.

BTW, for later in life, when raising kids, there is something in watching what you say. I had the opportunity of watching the series with a friend who knew nothing more than Vadar was Luke's father, and it was awesome to see the surprises impact him. Also, we watched it in episode order, not production order, and my friend loved it! When Luke left for Cloud City, my friend was saying "no, no, your doing what your father did, leaving to save your loved ones." Truly remarkable the mind of a child.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.