main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why can't the "mind meld" be the catalyst for Rey's Force knowledge?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 24, 2015.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there talking about the force powers.

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I know but it also includes her ability to defeat Kylo in TFA and the Praetorian Guards in TLJ. All of a sudden she has both a sword/staff fighting technique that can even overpower a Jedi Master.

Just a thought, I wonder when and where broom boy had a Force mind meld that taught him how to use the Force?

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    people use the force without knowing or being taught. rey, anakin, ezra, every child recruited by the jedi, etc.

kylo was severely injured and tired when rey beat him and what jedi master did she beat? luke wasn't beaten, he stopped fighting but was prepared to defend himself further. they specifically showed his hand floating above the stairs and him waiting to see her next move. when she didn't make one he relaxed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  4. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    THIS^^ Let's not forget Wee Dunn in George Lucas's Clone Wars. A baby rodan who could use the force to levitate a ball as a baby who couldnt' even speak let alone comprehend what the force is.

I've seen force powers like the X-men have powers. They can use these powers when under stress and but not have any knowledge on how they did it. Training just allows them to control the power and use them at will.

Think about Luke in the Wampa cave. He is upside stressed and has never used force pull before let alone knowing it was something Jedi did. But after reaching for his saber he closes his eyes uses the force and gets it on the first try.

5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke was overcome after Rey escalated their fight, he was forced back and was unarmed unlike Rey, who was towering over him. Yes he was seemingly hovering but he was beaten and he was shocked by her strength, he chose to stop as his only other move would've been to hurt her.

6. civilsecret

civilsecret Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    i wouldnt say anything is wrong with the mind meld and gaining skills/info from it but it would have been great if it were made explicit in the movie rather then being told from a third outside source.

7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I don't think the problem is whether or not it can be, but whether or not it should. I think a mind meld can make sense when there is a galaxy with rising darkness and a Jedi Master who has closed himself off from the force. I just think they should've done it differently, though I don't hate it.

8. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The mind meld was a brilliant and logical piece of storytelling, and it was satisfying to see Rey learn her skills through that method rather than having to go through lengthy training.

Haha, nah...April fools. Of course it was rubbish.

9. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    April Fools is over.

And this post belongs in the Sanctuary thread.

No more bashing outside of the thread designated for that purpose.

10. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Your thoughts to my thoughts. My mind, to your mind. Your Force prowess will become my own. We are the Rey. THE RESISTANCE ... if futile

I just think the mind meld doesn't quite tally with the film. It felt more like Rey's Force abilities, were "reawakening" or being remembered. With major hintage (is that a word, I'm running with it) in TFA that she was the offspring of a certain missing Jedi who everyone was looking for. And that her memories were suppressed and reawoken upon touching the lightsaber.

I think it detracts from the character to have this kinda "download" Force abilities. There is a certain lack of consistency. Which we don't see with other characters. Including Anakin. Even Yoda probably wasn't doing so much as a baby.

Rey hasn't become relatable in the sense that she is not progressing or growing as a character. She is like the "cheat" mode in a game where you become this Goddess by pressing buttons in the start menu.

In any case, I don't think the mind meld happens/is the reason given on the movie screen which is the main canon. So I wouldn't take this seriously unless this is categorically stated in Episode IX on the screen.

11. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    It would be a good idea but it's not hinted at in the movie is it?

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think it is and now in canon books they’ve confirmed this was the case. This OP was written by me years ago when TFA first came out so the first part of the thread is outdated.

We know she occupied his mind and then moments after she’s done that she’s attempted a Jedi mind trick. So, at a minimum it’s conceivable she at least saw a glimpse of that.

13. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    I think its implied. first, that sequence is long and you notice she gains the upper hand and goes into his mind, she mentions Kylo's biggest fear being he wont be as powerful as Vader. Then, the movie implies that Kylo realized what she had done; he mentioned to snoke: "She's strong with the Force, untrained but, stronger than she knows" and later to the stormtroopers: "She's just beginning to test her powers. The longer it takes to find her, the more dangerous she becomes."

During her fight with a wounded Kylo, we see the scavenger, but then, while Kylo has her over the edge, she taps into the force and defeats Kylo. She then trains with Luke and continues her mind meld with Kylo and continues to get powerful.

Obviously, outside of this, we can all agree that the force awakens in Rey, kinda fulfilling Luke's prophecy from TLJ, him cutting himself off the force and letting the force grow organically in Rey. With the start of the mind-meld, the time in Acho-To and having the books, she is on her way to becoming a powerful jedi. But i think we shouldn't lose sight of Rey the scavenger and how that has helped her along the way. Much like Anakin was a gifted pilot, Rey was aggressive with Teedo and the dudes trying to take BB8.

anyways, i find it all consistent and hinted pretty strongly in the movies.

14. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Wait a minute, was there ever a Your mind to my mind. Your thoughts to my thoughts moment?

I do see your point about the powers suddenly appearing which seems somewhat odd. I had hoped this were her powers awakening having been taught or naturally gifted by fitting with:

The Force runs strong in your family....Pass on what you have learned