main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why can't the "mind meld" be the catalyst for Rey's Force knowledge?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    My impression of Rey's mind trick was that it was basically the equivalent of her digging around in Daniel Craig's head until something gave. Considering how she was just the victim of Kylo's Force mental manipulation and could see and feel out how it worked, it's pretty believable that she can adapt that knowledge to a different application.

Likewise with the Force Pull. She didn't even need to do the hard work for that one, since Kylo took care of the heavy lifting and initial acceleration of the saber. It just needed a little nudge.

2. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    She could be the true ONE to bring the balance to the force by eliminating the light/dark paradigm while Anakin was just a false positive or a stepping stone, so to speak. She could be another ONE like in the matrix where there were many iterations of Neo that had come and gone. She could be a clone made from genetic material in Luke's hand or Anakin's arm. Perhaps the program was aborted when Kylo Ren turned on Luke or maybe the program is still running and Rey is following the path that was designed by the one who made her. She could be like the Saiyans from DragonBall series who were sent out as babies to many planets so that someday they could grow to subjugate and destroy the native populations. It could be something even more radical than that. There are all sorts of wild and interesting scenarios besides Rey being Luke 2.0.

3. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Can we please stop calling Kylo Ren partially trained as if he just picked up a lightsaber last week. He has at least a decade's worth of lightsaber training minimum. He is not a novice, he is an expert. Just because he isn't consider a Sith Lord or Jedi Master doesn't make it an excuse. Compared to her he might as well be a Sith Lord or Jedi Master.

5. lowlead

lowlead Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    For argument sake, what is a safe estimate of the time Rey has spent on Jakku scrapping with the locals, and beating off marauders with her staff? Could that be a decade's worth? She's certainly not a novice with her weapon - now put a lightsaber in her hand. I wouldn't **** with her!

10 years of dirty street fighting vs 10 years of high-brow fencing: Who wins? I would put my money on the one who's life has been continuously on the brink, I suppose. Hunger and hardship gives a person grit. Kylo has less grit than Rey has less formal training. In my opinion.

TooMuchBBQ, Doc Monadnock and Force22 like this.
  6. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Has this been confirmed? What do we know about Kylo's training?

7. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    This whole 'mind meld' concept reminds me of the Matrix. Everything happens too fast and it sets the protagonist up to be incredibly powerful without any real effort. Looking back at the Matrix Neo was way too strong for a trilogy to make much sense. He was essentially a god by the end of the first film which made the sequels feel awkward and unnecessary. Rey needs to have her ESB moment in the next film. She needs to learn that nothing comes easy because right now she seems a bit too much like Neo to me. Being able to mind meld to learn is a really bad idea IMO.

8. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    What Rey did with her back against that cliff was finally follow Maz's advice.

Maz told Rey following the force flash, "The belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead. I am no jedi, but I know the force. It moves through and surrounds every living thing. Close your eyes, feel it. The light. It's always been there. It will guide you."

Rey didn't close her eyes at that point per Maz's suggestion. But you're right, when Kylo mentions the force, Rey then remembered Maz's advice... She then closes her eyes and feels the light. Letting the force guide her.

TooMuchBBQ and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  9. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Rey was not untrained. The were things that were needed to unlock her training. Flying a ship, the lightsaber, Kylo reading her mind, and Kylo saying he would train her to use the force. Luke has been training her all along so that if it were the will of the force that she found him she would be ready. Luke was trained this way by Obi Wan after Obi Wan's physical self faded away on the death star. Yoda was trained this way by Qui Gon while he was waiting for Luke. The biggest difference is Luke still has his physical self. Luke realized how unready he was when he left Tatooine so he was preparing Rey in the event that her destiny was to become a Jedi. Rey had dreamed about Luke, well Jedi don't have dreams, they have visions.

jc1138 likes this.
  10. Doc Monadnock

Doc Monadnock Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    The force "awakens" in Rey before the mind-meld. Kylo Ren shouts "a girl!" when the report on the Jakku escape is made, and then he and Snoke discuss the 'awakening' long before he meets with Rey. Thus Kylo Ren's reaction suggests either a prophecy or foresight about a female force user.

When exactly does the force Awaken in her? When she decides to assist BB8, when piloting the falcon, when Han attests to the force, and then when she touches the lightsaber. Her confrontation with Kylo Ren follows a long line of encounters with objects and people. And there's a deeper backstory that is simply left a mystery.

Tan-Wessel and intravenusdemilo like this.
  11. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    Also, Kylo was having a fair amount of trouble trying to pull that lightsaber himself. He clearly mastered a couple of tricks and that's about it. He's not a great force user, but he's better than nothing and somewhat useful.

12. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    There were several lines of dialogue that expressed that Luke can pilot. One being that the controls of the T-16 he has were similar to the T-65's controls.

Secondly, when did the rebels become an "elite military unit"? The rebels were a rag-tag group. Letting in a new kid tells you that they didnt even have enough pilots. Which was why they were asking Han.

Rey needed some concrete info on her. All we have are vague notions.

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    My original post was obviously an oversimplification by comparing it to the Matrix Kung Fu program so perhaps don't get so caught up in the idea of her gaining mastery because it's true that if it was that simple others would do it. Instead, consider it as glimpses and fragments of Kylo's force knowledge and that perhaps she just gleaned enough to be inspired by aspects of what she saw.

And due to unpredictability of such a technique perhaps that's why most Masters wouldn't want their apprentices in their minds capturing glimpses of their lives. Also, perhaps his young age and focus on becoming a master with such determination from a young age has made most of his memories about training. Whereas somebody who had lived more of a life might have had more memories overall to sort through.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Because that's stupid.

Blueandwhite likes this.
  15. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

She already has the Force lineage of 2 of the most powerful Jedi's ever running through her. Couple that with whatever knowledge she may have had suppressed, and you could potentially have the biggest Force ass-kicker in SW history.

I don't necessarily believe Kylo's Force interrogation was like a mind-transfer type of thing, but rather his violation caused her to resist with all her might, triggering long-dormant uber-Force skills she didn't know she even had. Kylo unwittingly opened his own Pandora's box. And he found he was matched against someone even more powerful in the Force than he was.

16. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

I actually think he's a very decent force user. It seems, at that specific time, he was having a hard time because Rey was also pulling for it. So they were battling each other.

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    My friend, you aren't holding ANH to the same standard that you're holding TFA to.

Yes, we were told Luke could pilot a T-16. But actually TFA goes one better, because we were shown that Rey knows how to fight. We are shown that she has had to fend for herself all her life. After two acts we have far more evidence of Rey's skill as a fighter than Luke's skill as a pilot. So it's not a major surprise that, with the help of the Force, she can best a heavily wounded opponent in single combat.

As for the Rebel Alliance, the opening crawl establishes them as a force serious enough to have started a civil war. "Rag-tag" doesn't mean amateur hour. If I subjected ANH this same level of scrutiny, I would say that it's completely unrealistic that they even gave Luke an X-Wing. This is a pilot who only experienced aerial combat for the first time a few hours earlier, in the Falcon (and he wasn't even flying then, just shooting). But lo and behold, Luke not only gets a ship, he flies better than experienced pilots and ends up completing the mission almost single-handedly. He's so good he doesn't even need a targeting computer like normal human beings, he can bet the fate of the galaxy on instinct and win, and why? Because of the Force.

That "arc" is far more outrageous than Rey's, come on.

Iamnoone and Mars457 like this.
  18. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    This is like Baby JackJack in the Incredibles. He was just a normal kid until the babysitter stimulated his mind with Rorschach tests and Mozart.

19. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

Ren can literally freeze blaster fire, rip the thoughts out of someone's head, stop a person in their tracks, knock them out and force push as well as any character we've seen thus far. Up until his encounter with Rey on the Star killer Base he was a complete boss. At that point he became hilariously ineffectual. Kylo Ren may be the biggest jobber since Darth Maul essentially let Obi Wan slice him in half.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Mind meld? Who are you Obama? :p

21. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    Totally. It's not like he had been shot in the gut by a plasma infused rail gun while undergoing an emotional breakdown after killing his father. Oh wait, that DID happen? Oh, well, carry on then.

Winged_Jedi and TooMuchBBQ like this.
  22. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

That's my exactly problem with people.

Hey this movie is a rehash of the OT, i hate this.

TFA: Here's something that never happened before in Star Wars, here some things we can't explain yet, but that are mystical and mysterious.

NOOOOOO, the hero must follow the exactly same path that the others did in the movies before, but completely different, but at the same time the same.

Winged_Jedi, Iamnoone and Mars457 like this.
  23. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

Never use the M word again....

NEVER

JediRocks74 likes this.
  24. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    Not to mention that I'm pretty sure the womp rats weren't packing AAA and a fighter squadron.

25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I'm sorry, but we actually have NO IDEA how much lightsaber training he has. In fact, we have no idea if he has any lightsaber training at all. You are making assumptions and not paying attention to what is actually in the film. You are simply wrong to make this claim as it is not supported at all by the film. It's certainly not impossible, but we are told nothing either way.

It's entirely possible that Kylo has never actually engaged in a lightsaber duel prior to TFA.