main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Change the Clones Uniform?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JMaster Luke, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Ok so Episode 3 takes place like 3 years after Episode 2. Why would the Republic remake ALL the clones uniforms in just 3 years?? The clones are brand spanking new. Why waste more money during the heat of war to change the clones uniform?

I can understand why clonetroopers and stormtroopers dont look the same. Its 20years...they would have more then enough time to change how they look in 20 years. But it just seems weird that they would change all the troops uniforms when they are brand new.

2. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I beleive it was so you could hear them better, the little black bits on the front are speakers. I think.

3. darthpigskin

darthpigskin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2001
    Because the new ones are cooler looking than the old ones?

It's a good question.

4. Technocratic

Technocratic Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Well, off the top of my head, I'd think one factor would be that maybe a lot of armor was damaged during the coarse of the conflict. So while giving them new armor, they then went ahead and modified it according to what they'd learned during its practical use, as well as making some specialized versions.

5. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Why assume the original uniforms were designed and produced immediately prior to use in AotC? The Clone Army was ordered approximately 10 years before Obi-Wan arrived on Kamino. Maybe the design we see the clones use in AotC is nearly the same age as the order itself.

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Uniforms and weapons always change during wars. Look at the uniforms and equipment of US soldiers during World War II, from 1941-1945. New helmets, better rifles, more diverse uniforms for different climates. Look at how uniforms changed during the Vietnam War. During the first Gulf War in 1991 I believe a whole new style of desert combat boot was developed on the fly and rolled out in rapid order.

It makes total sense that the clones would benefit from upgrades and changes. Plus they look cool.

7. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Weren't there a few clones still in the old style armor? It seemed like there was a pretty good variety of clone armor, some of which looked more stormtroopery, some more clonetroopery.

8. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Now I'm wondering if GL will change the Scout Trooper uniforms in ROTJ to camouflage like in ROTS. Probably not though, as the Empire probably wanted a unified color and was too arrogant to change to a more suitable color againt the Rebellion.

9. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    I think the clones changed their own armor, personalizing it and adding modifications. They also added the streaks of color as sort of campaign badges, I think.

10. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    <raises hand>

'Cuse me for being thick, but until I was told that the Clones were CGI in AOTC I never knew. This time I was paying attention and I'm not sure if Lucas used real suits were he could or CGI.

11. Wet_Fett

Wet_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Because it looks cool.

12. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    All trooper outfits were completely CG. The only one that looks fishy is Commander Cody, since they pasted Temura's head onto the outfits movements. <<ILM can and should consider re-aligning that head...err>> but, as to the rest of them, they're frickin perfect looking. The different designs add a huge scope to their functionality. More care, armor, gadgets were given to the clones than the droids. It is mainly asthetics and ways to identify a trooper without use of an information blurb or if the commlink is down. It also shows that there was a brief moment of diversity in the Empire. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for the look of the Empire to be established and then only a few designs being left to show the might of the Empire.

Isurus the White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.