main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why decipher why?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by jedimasterozos, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimasterozos

jedimasterozos Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2003
    Can any one answer me why they have stopped printing starwars ccg cards?

2. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Simply, because Lucas Licencing wanted everything Star Wars under the Hasbro umbrella. Didn't matter what the fans wanted.

R'Bolt

3. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Hmm... this is almost 2 years old news now.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    That and they thought that the marketing giant of WotC could make them more money by having proven themselves to turn trash such as Magic and Pokemon into gold.

Not Deciper's fault at all. However, Decipher was starting to let the game slide towards the end there.

5. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Not sure you can blame Decipher for the decline in quality. I believe Decipher had plenty of good ideas (including a second edition SWCCG and an Online Version of the game), but they weren't allowed to pursue them. Lucas licensing had to approve everything they wanted to do. The last year was an attempt by Decipher to make what it could before they lost the license.

I agree that Lucas hoped to make Star Wars the next Yu Gi Oh (spelling?) and Pokemon. Glad personally the whole shebang backfired in their pocketbooks.

R'Bolt

6. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    As much as I enjoy TCG, it will never replace CCG in my house. It's just so much better.

7. JawaInSuicideMission

JawaInSuicideMission Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2002
    @Q99213
    You're the first person I've heard that the new TCG is enjoyable. I found the games of the new SWTCG I've played horrible.

I would prefer a Second Edition BY (!) Decipher, just like they made for Star Trek

8. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    The new TCG is fun. It's not a bad game, and they are making it better with each expansion. It just doesn't compare to the CCG, and never will.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's Yahtzee.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, Yahtzee isn't a bad game. I play Yahtzee all the time, too.

;)

11. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Ahhhh Feels like old times. I wasn't going to chime in but I just can't resist! :)

The TCG did not "backfire" on them exactly. The game is gaining more popularity every day. Look at all the major tournaments coming up. Gen Con alone is a huge event and players are flying around the country just to go to various Qualifiers all over just to get an invitation to compete at Gen Con. And like Artie said it gets better each expansion, just like the CCG did (depending on who you ask).

I admit it is probably not as succesful as they thought, assuming we know what they thought. Of course it is also fighting an uphill battle (glutted market, bad economy, etc-we've argued it all before)

In many ways, the TCG is better due to the initial simplicity of it and being able to pick it up and play and then get into the more complex stuff later.

It is not as complex as the CCG and probably never will be. If a more complex game is what you want than the TCG is not better from that point of view, and of course it will never be a replacement.

12. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Well, here is the way I see it:
    Star Wars TCG is a game that you play if you want a quick battle and a quick game.
    However, if you pick CCG, you will get some loooong games. My longest was around two- maybe two and a half-hours. (This was during one of our famous "unsanctioned-everything goes" games.)

Anyway, call me 'old school? (Yes somebody actually called CCG players old school- almost didn't buy an expansion from there.) but I like the strategy and intricacy of the CCG.
    However, it is still fairly early in the life of the TCG and it may get better with age.

Just my opinions,
    Capt_Piett

13. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I can't help but wonder how much more successful SW:CCG would have been if Decipher had been able to put together prize packages like SW:TCG is getting for Gen Con ......

14. master_hewitt

master_hewitt Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2003
    I hate it. I started collecting after they had finished so i am like gettin all the crap. i wish i had started ealier. just isnt fair. neway it sucks. I cant belive they would throw away such a good thing.

15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Personally, I think the TCG's biggest problem is how much it relies on pure chance. There's dice rolls for everything. I'm playing a frickin card game here! Not Dungeons & Dragons!

While some could argue that the CCG has an element of randomness with destiny draws, once a bit into the game you could track cards and keep track of the ones you wanted if you were good. Which essentially takes out the biggest random element. That's the thing that I liked so much about the CCG. It had such an amazing amount of skill that it required to master and there's always more to learn.

With such simple card games as the TCG, it attracts more of the very young crowd. Personally I've had a LOT of bad experiences with younger kids playing card games in terms of being sore losers, whining, cheating, stealing, causing general disruption even when not playing. The CCG kept this crowd away by being to complex for them. Not to say that we didn't get a few of our players in heated debates. I remember at one point at which our tournament director made a ruling that if you beat up your opponent (outside the game) it's an automatic loss.

I just still can't deal with a game in which when I pull out a nice combo, it can still be defeated by a dice roll. I want to know that my opponent can only beat me out with what's in his hand and perhaps a destiny draw.

Anyway, master_hewitt, if you're looking for cards, I have a huge collection and there's no one left in my state that plays so I'm looking to thin out a bit. PM me if you're interested.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The one thing that annoys me the most out of everything, as a SW fan and not just a player, is that the TCG lacks the Lore that the CCG featured.

As a result, the TCG lacks an element the CCG had that made it feel more integrated into SW fandom- every CCG card was an addition TO the SW universe, not just a game card FROM it.

The best we can ever get from the TCG is the name of a particular ship or character.

17. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Uh... you haven't seen many TCG cards, have you? They don't have novels on them, but there is a lot of flavor text on many cards that tell background stuff.

And the game attracts more than the younger crowd. I personaly know (in real life, not via the net) 17 people over 18 years old that play the TCG and maybe 5 under 18.

Anyway, I am not here to spam this thread but I like to correct misconceptions when I see them.

18. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    The fact that there are any immature players is what bothers me. I'm not saying that all players are children.

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Yes, the TCG's target audience is younger than the CCG's ... but every CCG/TCG from Magic to Yu-Gi-Oh has their fair share of immature players ....

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Uh... you haven't seen many TCG cards, have you? They don't have novels on them, but there is a lot of flavor text on many cards that tell background stuff<<

I saw quite a few of the cards from the first two sets (I honestly haven't seen anything from the sets after that on a shelf so I can't comment on more recent ones), and I don't recall any that provided anything of substance- almost all of them were just quotes from the movie or stated the semi-obvious (ie: Slave 1 was modified to help Jango track his prey).

Not a single card ever made me feel like I learned anything new about SW.

21. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    but every CCG/TCG from Magic to Yu-Gi-Oh has their fair share of immature players ....

SW:CCG had a significantly reduced number due to the age level that the game was targeted for. However, card companies now realize that the 16+ crowd isn't the only one with money now. Parents that don't know or don't want to deal with their kids will shell out tons of money to preoccupy them. Kids that were raised by parents like that aren't ones that I want to be having at my tournaments. The TCG draws a far larger number of those.

That and it's still a game that requires much less skill.

22. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    I saw quite a few of the cards from the first two sets (I honestly haven't seen anything from the sets after that on a shelf so I can't comment on more recent ones), and I don't recall any that provided anything of substance- almost all of them were just quotes from the movie or stated the semi-obvious (ie: Slave 1 was modified to help Jango track his prey).

Yeah, I think think they did not really start doing a lot of it until the more recent sets. They are still not as informative as the CCG flavor text is, but there is some cool stuff and even the names of some Ep2 creatures and characters give good info.

Not a single card ever made me feel like I learned anything new about SW.

They are getting better. From the new expansion:

Tyranus's Solar Sailer (B) says: "This unique vessel is a hybrid of Geonosian engeneering and exotic, pre-Republic technology provided by Tyranus himself."

Separatist Battle Droid says: "Despite a treaty after the Battle of Naboo forbidding the expansion of Trade Federation armies, Geonosian foundries ran at maximum capacity"

Oppo Rancisis says: "Rancisis is a master of Malacia, a Jedi technique that induces a powerful dizziness and nausea in enemies."

As for the age group, did you guys see the pics from Gen Con? There seem to be more older players than not. There was a few younger kids who I heard were not the best sportsmen, but I saw that at CCG tournies also. At least it is not like the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd, which is what I think some of you are thinking it is like, and it is not even close to that mess :)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That is a little better, though still fairly limited, IMO.

Personally, I wonder why they don't have more detailed "flavor text" (it's lore damnit! ;;D ), given the large empty text spaces most of the cards seem to have.

Especially since it's WOTC, and they have access to all that RPG information.

24. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    As for the age group, did you guys see the pics from Gen Con? There seem to be more older players than not.

Of course they're older players. Kids can't afford to go to cons and even most irresponsable parents wouldn't let a kid go to cons by themselves and I doubt many parents would want to go.

25. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    You guys missed my point. Immaturity knows no age limits.... There are immature old players and mature young players, and even in my limited realm of playing I've seen them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.