main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why decipher why?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by jedimasterozos, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    There is another dimension to the "target audience" dimension of the TCG. As an elementary school teacher, I saw a few of the kids with TCG cards. Not one played the game. It was the same with Pokemon. Many collcted the cards but didn't play the game.

One sided cards that have a lot of gameplay info on them and smaller pics (like many of the Tcg and CCG cards) just aren't appealing to these younger kids who more than anything making decisions based on "fads" rather than genuine intereest. Heck, they could have made a junky Hulk game and the kids would have collected it.

This isn't saying anything about the game. Personally, I don't think the kids care less whether the game is random or not. It is quick and fairly easy. That's what is important to this age bracket. Those that did play (some with my encouragement) liked the game but they were not A) die-hard Star Wars fans or B) card game enthusiasts.

Naturally there are many who collect and play the game quite a bit but this is only a section of the market. Here in my home city,they sold the 2 player starter and the 5 card packs in the major department stores. These were snatched up quickly but no store (excvept Comic and Card Stores) carry the expansions.

By this point you are wondering what my point is? Well, the only thing I have against the game is that I lost a game I enjoyed to one that did not have the same appeal. Mainly kids got the TCG and never used it. Meanwhile, the CCG has finished. The difference? Nearly 100% of CCGers where I live are/ were players. Around here, about 20% (I am being generous with this figure as I haven't seen any tournaments)of the TCGers are players.

Again, this isn't an opinion onm the ganme itself as I haven't played it other than a starter deck.

2. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    It's funny, me and my friend were around 11-12 when we started buying SW:CCG packs together. He'd get all the Lights and I'd get all the Darks. I never played against anyone else. We never really argued. Instead of arguing, we'd just simplify the rules.

Just shows you that kids can work around these things.

My friend moved, and Decipher/Lucas stopped the line. Practically lyrics to a western song.

SW:CCG was so fun. Captured the joys of the SW universe perfectly (bounty hunters, droids, locations, starship battles, Jedi, and the like). Not just a lot of numbers. Actual induvidual skills.

And no, I never go into TCG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.