main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Denon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MASTER_LAYTON, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_LAYTON

MASTER_LAYTON Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    Of all worlds Cal Omas could chose form to be a temperary capital until Coruscant is ready, why an Inner rim world that no one has ever heard of.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It's one of the most heavily populated worlds in the galaxy.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Like Raven has said, its pretty much Coruscant Mark 2.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    AOTC VD said it was the second most important wolrd in the Republic, next only to Coruscant.

Why many fans have not heard of it, probably everyone who's anyone within the GFFA HAS heard of it.

5. MASTER_LAYTON

Feb 18, 2004
    Then why haven't heard about in any previous novels, is Denon mentioned in comics, i'm a little shakey there. For a new world to be named the Temp capital is weird, why not stay on Mon Cal until Coruscant is finished.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Senators hate water

Look at Ted Kennedy

*is amazed by the audacity he had to say that joke*

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Why didn't we ever see Coruscant in the classic movies (SE doesn't count), yet it is the "bright center" of the universe.

Many of the most important worlds in the Galaxy, inc. Wuxxar, Alsakan, etc., are barely mentioned in the literature. They are fairly stable worlds. Most adventures take place in wilder areas of the Outer Rim--places like Yavin 4 and Bespin, which are hardly mega-important worlds in terms of the Galactic Community, only important in their role as settings for events in the stories (Yavin's only contribution to society being new Jedi).

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    We didn't see it because it really hadn't been conceived yet. Timothy Zahn latched onto the idea.

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Exactly! We never saw Denon before b/c it wasn't conceived of until ATOC VD (to my knowledge). But the VD specifically proclaimed it to be #2 to Coruscant, therefore it is a logicla in-universe choice for a temp capital.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    also, they wouldn't want to stay on Mon Calamari- it's too far away from the core.

11. dead_morrison66

dead_morrison66 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2004
    What, pray tell, is the AOTC VD?

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Jango had some diseases that got passed onto his clone...

They're soldiers, they're new in town

It got spread around....

*I am bad today*

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Visual Dictionary

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Exactly! We never saw Denon before b/c it wasn't conceived of until ATOC VD (to my knowledge). But the VD specifically proclaimed it to be #2 to Coruscant, therefore it is a logicla in-universe choice for a temp capital.

so what are you complaining about? There are tons of wolds that would never make it into the books. It's better to add to the number taht we have, in stead of overusing other ones.

15. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    It's where Zam Wesell was born, supposedly.

Though I don't see why they couldn't have chosen Brentaal.

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I don't see why they couldn't choose another Core World. I mean...the Inner Rim isn't all that prestigious, and the Vong didn't destroy the entire Core.

17. recurit03

recurit03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    Also, they do not want the capital to be a homeworld of a group of people because they would hold to much power, Denon, like Coruscant prolly has every single type of species in the glaxay

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Ralltir, Brentaal, Chandrila...what's wrong with those planets?

19. MASTER_LAYTON

Feb 18, 2004
    Wow I had no idea that Denon is mentioned in the EU before TUF, and its number 2 to Coruscant, plus I agree that the the capital of thew galaxy should be a place that is not a home world even to humans. Its just I would have thought the capital should of been in the Core. However the Inner Rim is more in the middle of the Alliance than any other region.

20. Nolan_Sanap

Nolan_Sanap Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    I wouldn't worry about it too much; as I understand, Denon is only provisional and you know how quick Coruscant can be rebuilt when people put their heads to it. Look at Post-Dark Empire (although that wasn't as much damage, to be fair).

D'Rewan

21. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    *pouts* I still say they should've gone for Taris... surely large parts must've been rebuilt 4000 years after a large part of the city was destroyed.

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I wonder if Coruscant Sector had Senatorial representation in the Senate (like other sectors) or not (like Washington D.C. and the District of Columbia)?

23. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I'm glad they didn't choose Mon Calamari as a permanent home. It's been used too much already and the storytelling is very limited on an ocean world (Destiny's Way, anyone?). I would quickly get tired of submarine battles and scuba diving.

Because we don't know too much about it other than it is nearly the size of Coruscant, Denon will offer a clean slate for authors to come up with interesting stories and situations.

I hope Troy Denning takes advantage of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.