main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Did Anakin 'Hate' Obi Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by YoungAngus, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I love the line 'I Hate You!' But I dont understand why he did, what did Obi Wan do to Anakin? Anakin went to the darkside to save Padme, and he was pissed at the council. But Obi Wan comforted him when he was mad, and tried to stay on his side. So I dont understand all the anger towards him.

2. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Cause he sliced off his arm and legs.

3. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    First he thought that Obi-Wan didn't trust him, then thought Obi-Wan turned Padmè against him, and lastly he left Anakin with only one limb left burning on very hot sand. That'll do it if you ask me.

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Keeper is right. From Anakin's perspective, Obi-Wan looked like a really bad guy. Obviously that's not the case, but since Anakin is consumed by anger and all that, he just can't help but view everyone as his enemy.

5. Scorch62Delta

Scorch62Delta Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2005
    When really he is his own enemy

6. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    How ignorant Anakin seems to be all the time. Obi-Wan warned him not to jump, but he did it anyway. One slice did all that, boy that's unfortunate.

7. padmes_slave

padmes_slave Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2005
    I believe the reason he hated Obi-Wan was because he thought he turned Padme against him, and that he was holding him back from saving his mother in AOTC. I also think that he believes the he was not giving him the proper respect as a jedi that he felt he deserves.

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    He had always had a love/hate relationship with Obi-Wan. Eventually the hate side of it won out.

Anakin-and Vader-was always obsessed with Obi-Wan. Look at AOTC. Everything that happens, he relates it back to Obi-Wan in someway. He blames him for "turning her against me" in ROTS. He never stops talking about him in the OT, either.

9. MasterACyard

MasterACyard Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    because he sank his battleship

10. jedisith678

jedisith678 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    Ummmmmm.... Wouldn't you hate somebody to if they cut you in half, cut your left arm off, and left u on a volcanic planet to burn and suffer. Yeah Obi-Wan pretty much ruined Anakin/Vader's life with one slice of his lightsaber. Anakin/Vader is just lying there burning up, losing everything, face, body, everything you can possibly imagine......... [face_shame_on_you]

11. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    So he only hated him after the duel?

12. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Pretty much, but he's had his "I hate Obi-Wan" moments in the previous films. Like someone said above, it's a love/hate relationship and it always has been. In AotC we see that they've really bonded with one another since TPM, but that they're friendship has its flaws. The same goes for RotS, only in this film, we see they're friendship start to deteriorate because Anakin's being brainwashed by Palpatine into thinking that the Jedi are evil, including Obi-Wan.

Mustafar is when all his conflict and hate for Obi-Wan that he's dealt with over the years really comes out in full force.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yep. In that respect, he never quite grows up. He's like a rebellious teenager blaming his dad for everything. "My dad won't let me go to the party, and he won't let me take the car... man, he's always on my case!" :p

In another respect, though, I can understand why he hates Obi-Wan throughout the OT. Obi-Wan was the cause of his injuries, and every time Vader's in pain (which is probably most of the time), it's another reminder of what Obi-Wan did to him.

14. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004

Anakin answers this question for you. Go watch the movie again before they fight

15. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Anakin does not "hate" Obi-Wan. Look at the sadness in his eyes as he is crawling, helpless. It is only after Obi turns away that he says "I HATE YOU!". I believe Anakin merely uses obi-wan as a scapegoat for all of his own failings, and I do not believe he hates obi.

He doesn't really hate him, but he says it out of anger and frustration.

16. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    [face_laugh]

There have been some good responses to this topic...all of which I agree with...so I won't re-utter them. :)

17. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    I thought Anakin hated ObiWan because of his affair with Padme?

18. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    ^Nope its was Jar Jar who she was havin the affair with.

He was overly critacle, he didn't understand. He was holding him back and he never listened.

19. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    And it wasn't FAIR!

20. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    I agree. Anakin now sees Obi-Wan as a reflection of all he has given up by turning to the darkside and is reacting out of his sense of loss.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If I cut your arm and legs off, you'd look sad and mad at the same time. He hated Obi-wan, which is why his eyes turned yellow again. They represent the hate flowing through him.

22. RisingForce

RisingForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2005
    I think when Anakin said "I hate you!!" to Obi Wan in the end is the saddest part in the movie. He hated Obi Wan first off because he just cut off the rest of his limbs. I also think that maybe he was thinking that if he survive, he wont be as powerful as he wouldve been. He wanted to throw Palpatine and rule the galaxy himself,so Obi Wan practically took that away from him.

Thanks to darth_sinister for replying to my question on my previous post.

23. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Í donät see why the luimvb cutting would lead Anakin to say that. They were locked in moratal combat. What was Obi Wan supposed to do, let Ani win??? Furthermore, Obi Wan had just issued a pretty detailed warning to Anakin that if he made that jump from the platform, it was over. And of course Anakin ignored that and proceeded to make a fool of himself and a hacked up mess.

As for Padme turning on Anakin, I also don't buy Anakin thinking Obi Wan did this. Padme did not know that Anakin was a Sith, assaulting the temple, etc. Once she finds out he did this, why would she not confront him?

I wish these issues were explored deeper. But I do love the line though. And the delivery. Great stuff.

24. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, but is it really hate he's feeling toward Obi-Wan? Or is it that he's holding so hard onto the emotion of hate, because if he doesn't, he'll feel all that physical and emotional pain? He thinks he hates Obi-Wan because that's an easy emotion in the dark side, but deep down I don't think he wanted to kill him in that fight. And after he's injured you can see in his eyes that he has a moment of understanding, where he realizes what he's done to himself. In the original script he actually even asked Obi-Wan for help.

25. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Why Did Anakin 'Hate' Obi Wan?
    projection... he hated himself and needed someone to blame for all his short-comings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.