main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Anakin's Theme vanish after TPM?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthMak, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    It's probably my favorite music of the entire PT, and since TPM, it's not been used.

Yes, it's briefly in the final credits of AOTC's soundtrack, but it was not used in the movie.

And listening to the ROTS score, it's nowhere to be found. Why has it not been used?

2. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    It's used in AOTC, for example, after Anakin's nightmare, but not much. The ROTS soundtrack release is bound to leave a lot of score out of it, so maybe it will be in the movie.

I too wouldn't mind hearing more of it, including a version in that goes straight from Anakin's theme to the Imperial March.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    It's in AOTC in several places, and will most likely appear for a very short time in ROTS.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It most likely will appear for a little bit in ROTS because it is Anakin's movie...

5. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Anakin's Theme will play at least once in Episode III.

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I wish it had been used more often as well in AOTC, considering it's my favorite PT theme. It would be a shame for it not to be heard at least once in ROTS.

7. SarahSky

SarahSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2004
    The way I see it is that Anakin's theme in TPM was there to connote Anakin's innocence... in AOTC he has lost his innocene (face it, he's a murderer) and in ROTS he is certainly not innocent.

Even though it is a beautiful theme, it seems out of place to use such an innocent theme for such an evil thing.

Thats my thoughts anyway, I'm not saying that is the fact of anything.

8. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    It's used in AOTC, for example, after Anakin's nightmare

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a reused TPM cue?

I seem to remember Anakin's theme also appearing (and not as a reused TPM cue) when Anakin and Padmé meet for the first time in ten years.

9. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Jeff, I think you're right, but I can't recall for sure right now.

10. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    And listening to the ROTS score, it's nowhere to be found. Why has it not been used?

Listen to Track #4 again, subtle statements of it are weaved throughout the whole track.

ttbk, listening to it now, gosh, it's beautiful...

11. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Practically the whole of Episode 2 was reused TPM cues. That remains my BIGGEST gripe of the whole movie (I can ignore bad acting by just perving on Natalie Portman).

12. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Listen to Track #4 again, subtle statements of it are weaved throughout the whole track.

But a more substantial statement of it, according to the Hyperspace reports, was cut from this cue for the album release. And, Hyperspace said the cue was over six minutes long, but it's only 4:52 on the album.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    First of all, none of the uses of Anakin's theme in AOTC were recycled from TPM. They were all newly recorded for AOTC. There is also a statement of Anakin's theme when he sees Padmé again for the first time in 10 years.

Practically the whole of Episode 2 was reused TPM cues. That remains my BIGGEST gripe of the whole movie (I can ignore bad acting by just perving on Natalie Portman)

Your biggest gripe is a gross exaggeration. Practically the whole? Try like 14 minutes out of 2 hours and 20 minutes. Man that's practically the whole... :rolleyes:

14. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    First of all, none of the uses of Anakin's theme in AOTC were recycled from TPM. They were all newly recorded for AOTC. There is also a statement of Anakin's theme when he sees Padmé again for the first time in 10 years.

Nope. Anakin's post-nightmare conversation is scored with "Anakin's Test" from TPM. Same recording.

15. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    No exaggeration sir, I've checked. Gimme a minute...

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Listen dude... there is 70+ minutes of original music on the CD. Even if that was all of the new music in AOTC, which it isn't, that would still be over half the music in the film being new. That is hardly almost "the whole" of the film being from TPM.

17. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Nah, I was just being facetious. The crux of the matter is that I just don't care.

Hahaha.

However, I still think having reused recordings is dodgy. In the original, they never repeated actual recordings - sure they redid old ones (Return of the Jedi features the TIE Fighter attack tune in a great bigger way). As much as I don't really mind, it's still a bit cheap having reused tracks in a Star Wars film. They have 3 years to make it, and that's the best they can do? That's fanfilm behaviour!

But yes, once more for the camera, I was just takin' the piss.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    In the original, they never repeated actual recordings

Wrong again. They repeated score in TESB and ROTJ. Granted not on the level of what they did in AOTC, which WAS atrocious... but it did happen.

19. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    ractically the whole of Episode 2 was reused TPM cues. That remains my BIGGEST gripe of the whole movie

I agree. I loved Episode II, and I'm not going to bash them recycling music. I just wonder why they did it on such a huge scale. What also confuses me, is that Lucas says AOTC was the one film he did perfect. Maybe he just doesn't think the music is such a big part of the picture? I mean, the music DID work effectively for the movie, and probably only those of us who listen to the soundtracks even noticed or cared. I do hope he fixes the music in a future edition, though...

20. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Wrong again??? My apathy must be showing something chronic.

Hey what tracks did they re-use from ESB to ROTJ?

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The first minute of the conversation where Luke tells Leia they are brother and sister is scored with part of Yoda And The Force from TESB. Also, parts of Hyperspace were lifted from the Falcon escaping from Cloud City and used for the Snowspeeder search on Hoth. The original score for the big reveal of the Imperial Fleet was replaced with the first minute or so of the Imperial March concert arrangement, complete with AOTC-bad edit.

22. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Ah cool. Thanks for the elucidation! Let's hope they're at least subtle if they reuse anything because it gives me pains in my gut.

23. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    THe music that plays when the Falcon and ships are inside the Death Star is lifted from A New Hope or Empire, I can't remember which. But their carbon copies only lasted a few seconds.

24. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Those were re-used tracks? I remember that the theme was the same, but that they sort of expanded on it in some places? OH well, doesn't really matter. See, that's GOOD re-using of a cue, when you honestly remember it being different.

Now bad re-using of a cue or whatever is when you lift big fat chunks from recognisable sections of the previous movie (and I recall that certain re-used bits in Episode II are repeated within that movie, so that not only are they recycled, but they are re-recycled! Now that's cheap!).

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think that section of ROTJ's music is good. It's a new recording but it's the exact same score arrangement without any change or development. I think that stinks. Mix it up, rearrange it a little... develop it a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.