main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Ben shorten his name from Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedismurf196666, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedismurf196666

jedismurf196666 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Why did Ben shorten his name from Obi-Wan Kenobi?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Because he wanted to. And going by "Obi-Wan" was a bit risky.

3. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    So word wouldn't reach Vader and the Emperor of his location is my understanding.

4. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    that and why didnt they change lukes last name are two of the more interesting questions that still havent been answered properly

5. __Jedi__

__Jedi__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    ^^

why would they change Lukes name? i dont think Vader knew his name and that Padme named him Luke.

6. Three-Eight

Three-Eight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    But his last name; Skywalker. That is the same last name as Vader.

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    ben kenobi .. it s the name of an old japanese samurai.. (of course he don't know that ) but georgy was inspired by him...)
    and ben .. sounds not as weird as obi wan...

8. JediNapoleonDynamite

JediNapoleonDynamite Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    but wouldn't Vader know what he looked like and Ben is pretty close to Obi Wan why not change it to something completley different

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    He's in hiding on Tatooine. He doesn't tell people his last name. He goes to Mos Eisley every once in a while for supplies, and they all know him as "Ben." Of course, the Lars family knows his last name, but that's because they also know he is Obi-Wan. It isn't as if Obi-Wan struts around yelling "my name is Ben Kenobi!" everywhere.

10. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    If my mother named me Obi-Wan, I'd probably go by a name like Ben or John or George, too. It seems like a natural thing to do if you have a really dorky name.

11. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    He probably needed to keep his last name so he could stay in contact with those who he wanted to stay in contact with, such as Bail Organa or other Rebel leaders. Besides, he's already hiding on the outskirts of the Outer Rim in a hut in the middle of the desert. Even if he goes by Kenobi, he's not going to draw a lot of attention.

Owen and Beru probably kept Luke's name as Skywalker because, well, it's his name. Old farmers aren't too worried about the Empire searching the galaxy for a Skywalker, especially since Vader thought his children were dead. Perhaps there are other Skywalkers on Tatooine, too; it would be odd if Shmi was the only Skywalker in the entire system.

12. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    ^You know, Luke's surname was actually talked about on another thread. One of the observations was that it's possible he WAS Luke Lars since his name isn't mentioned in the beginig. But when he meets Ben and finds out about the "truth" that his father was a Jedi and not a freight navigator(although even that was a half truth), and Owen and Beru are killed, he decides from that point to use his father's last name.
    Now it's true that this doesn't exactly work with the novelizations, but hey, Owen was supposed to be Ben's brother if I recall correctly.

13. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    ^Totally confused right now... Didn't Obi-Wan say to Anakin "You were my brother!" in RotS? ;)

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Old Ben was probably drunk as usual and woke up one morning with a "Ben" tattoo and didn't want it to be wasted money, hence changed his name. :-B

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    [face_laugh] That tatoo idear explains a lot. I am just glad that it didn't say: "Palps' puppy" or "Darthy's baby".

16. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I don't think there is a good explanation for why he changed his name. If you say it was because he was hiding, then he would have also changed his last name. Luke had heard of crazy Ben Kenobi, so the name was out there.

Given the fact the PT didn't address it at all, and didn't even mention the name Ben once, I seriously think it's better to just wonder why and never have it explained, because I don't think an explanation in the context of what we know from the movies will make any sense.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    He changes his first name only. Doesn't make sense. Is Kenobi a common name? Why is he still dressed like a Jedi? Isn't that a little obvious? I'd change my name to Fred Jones and wear anything but a brown hooded robe.

18. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Why is he still dressed like a Jedi? Isn't that a little obvious? I'd change my name to Fred Jones and wear anything but a brown hooded robe.

The Jedi dress in common "peasant" type clothing. Owen dresses like that as well. The clothing is not a giveaway.

19. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    im sure its just a cheesy way to shock luke after he reveals his real name

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Owen dresses like that because GL didn't know that would become the Jedi garb of future movies.

21. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    you cant really say that since yoda is wearing that type of robing in empire

22. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    Well since his brain got fried and he was doing the emperors bidding and he thought Padme died along with the baby Vader wasn't really looking for any kids. Sure "he could feel them." Okay, okay, but only if he knew about them. And he didn't even know there was a them let alone a baby at all. I don't think Vader even thought twice about children after his soul was sold to the devil until he came face to face with his son. It's one of those circle of life things. JEJ is very good at playing that role. :)

23. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Actually, Lucas had completely knowledge that it'd be Jedi clothing in the future movies, since he wrote it that way. If he wanted to make it different, he could have had the Jedi wear something new and unique.

24. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I thought that he decied to stick with the moisture farmer garb for the Jedi because when people watching the films thought of the Jedi they thought of Obi-Wan in ANH, and that's what he was wearing.

Quite an interesting but brief history of the costume
    http://www.padawansguide.com/jedi.shtml

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Trooper 1138: "Lord Vader, we have located a crazy wizard called 'Ben Kenobi' on the planet of Tattooine; we have finally found the legendary General Kenobi, what do you suppose we do?"
    Darth Vader: "What did you say the wizards name was"
    Trooper 1138: "Well, he goes by the name of 'Ben Kenobi' now but-"
    Darth Vader: "And WHAT was the name of the Jedi Kenobi"
    Trooper 1138: "Well, that would be 'Obi Wan', sir. But-"
    Darth Vader: "Does 'Ben' sound like 'Obi Wan' to you?"
    Trooper 1138: "But, but sir he is rumoured to have special po-arg arg aaarrrgh"
    Darth Vader: "I find your lack of identifying names disturbing"

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.