main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did GL do all of these movies out of order?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthDean, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    DarthMaul13, that's my understanding, too. I've never seen any pre-May 1977 concept art of stuff in the sequels or the prequels. It's all just Star Wars.

I agree that there is no father-son stuff in the 1977 SW. Luke's father being killed by Vader serves two purposes: 1) to make Luke hate Vader even more, and 2) to make the audience hate Vader even more.

2. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Binary Sunset, DarthMaul13 - I think there was more to that story from the beginning.
    You really think Vader wasnt going to be Lukes father until ESB was gonna be made?

Maybe I'm wrong about the concept art, but I dont think so. (I have this picture hanging on my wall.)
    As far as I know, the Vader vs Luke lightsaber battle was part of the original concept art. Vaders helmet still has that kinda samurai look to it, Luke is wearing a breath mask (they were going to outside). Vader also has a blaster on his belt. His lightsaber is blue, Lukes is white.

I really doubt this picture was done after ANH. Luke vs. Vader

I dont see any dates anywhere, but all the other stuff on the page looks like original stuff from the 70s to me. There are seperate pages for ESB and ROTJ stuff, but Luke vs Vader is on the "Star Wars" page. That tells me it was there from the beginning, it just didnt make the movie.

3. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Where do you people come with some of this stuff? Lucas selected the OT because it's "more compelling...people would relate to these characters better". The title of ANH came later. The backstory was not developed and there were several versions of 'Star Wars' prior to the final script.

That's half right. It wasn't a matter of selecting one trilogy over the other. There was no prequel trilogy to select. There was no other set of character for him to consider using. Every script he wrote was aobut the downfall of the Empire.

4. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    You really think Vader wasnt going to be Lukes father until ESB was gonna be made?

Considering that the first draft of ESB featured the ghost of Luke's father, yes.

Maybe I'm wrong about the concept art, but I dont think so. (I have this picture hanging on my wall.)
    As far as I know, the Vader vs Luke lightsaber battle was part of the original concept art. Vaders helmet still has that kinda samurai look to it, Luke is wearing a breath mask (they were going to outside). Vader also has a blaster on his belt. His lightsaber is blue, Lukes is white.

That's because originally, Luke was the lead Jedi, until Obi-Wan became his mentor.

5. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, holy shnikeys!!!!!
    I did not know that. Weird, wild stuff.

Where can i find some of that early stuff, anyway? I'd love to read through some of it

6. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Basically ANH was made to be a stand alone movie at first. He had a basic idea about what had happened. He knew about the Clone Wars and the Old Republic and the Jedi Knights because all 3 of those were referenced in ANH. He did not however have the enitire stories planned out. For example, originally there was not Courscant and Padme did not exist. In the mid 90s he just decided that he had a good thing going and he could give you a full backstory to everything. Not really complicated

7. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Because Star Wars (ANH) was meant to be a stand alone film with a possibility for sequels. Lucas wrote a little bit of back story for the first 3 movies which he later fleshed out and expanded upon to make the prequels. Watching the prequels will show you that there is STILL very little back story for the original Star Wars movies.

8. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Binary_Sunset, I see the story reasons for the "Vader murdered Luke's father" subplot, but I can also see how ultimately it would have been a failure. Let's leave out how it would have played out in any potential prequel movie(s)and just take ANH as it stood just before writing the sequel. You're GL, and SW is a huge unprecedented success, allowing you to make more movies. You realize that you could make AT LEAST two more, and you want to build upon and strengthen the story as it stands. You're writing character backgrounds and histories. You've got Vader, who started out as Kenobi's pupil. Then you've got Luke's father, who is a Jedi friend of Obi-Wan. Then you look for a motivation for Vader to turn evil. What could that be? Then you want to add more to Luke's father's story, beyond him being just a friend of Obi-Wan. You set up emotional conflicts in him. Basically make him different from Ben so that he doesn't seem to be a carbon copy. You plan to make more references to him in the new movie. Forget that any prequels will be made, just assume that this backstory to Vader/Kenobi/Skywalker will be manifested in character dialogue in any forthcoming movies. Would you still have an emotionally conflicted Skywalker in the end be killed by an equally conflicted Vader? Sounds like bad writing, don't you think? A way to smooth it over would be to combine the two characters.

9. boarderbum51

boarderbum51 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2003
    Lucas didnt even have the PT drafted at that point. He went through many many drafts of a certain story until it boiled down to the ANH story. It wasnt until the early 90's that he decided they needed a backstory.

there is STILL very little back story for the original Star Wars movies ~ guittarjedi

I think of them more as a backstory directly to ANH, but indirectly to ESB & ROTJ

I admit that TPM contains very little in backstory, but AOTC has so much, it includes the Clone Wars, the subtle rise of Palpy, the love struggle between Padme and Ani, explination of Bens description of the Jedi order, even plans for the death star, and the lars family. It has many more than you would think, but they are hidden and subtle.

Episode III will contain soo much more such as Palpy becoming Emporer, the birth of the twins, the fall of the jedi, Ani to vader, padmes death, alderaans backstory (hopefully), the fall of the republic , how ben end up on tatooine, luke and leias guardians and how they got their. It will also enhance the ones seen in AOTC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.