main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why did GL put the droid factory scene in?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DARTH_FLACCID, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, this droid factory sequence is the one scene I have had real problems with. I felt the whole thing went on much too long, and there was very little suspence, because the leading man/lady are NOT going to be killed 45 minutes from the end. I have always felt this entire sequence is rather out of place.

I would much rather have had them captured quickly, and then had a few minutes with Padme and Dooku bargaining for Ob-Wan's life. It would have been so much better for the audiance to know more about Dooku, and anyway, Christopher Lee just devours the screen everytime he appears! :)

2. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Realism and Believability are two very different things.
    Why are some unrealistic things more believable than others? Is it because you are seeing them as an adult and not a child?
    Why is C3PO being in the right time and place in AOTC any different than a giant slug that can live in a vacuum and support life inside it's stomach?

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Why is C3PO being in the right time and place in AOTC any different than a giant slug that can live in a vacuum and support life inside it's stomach?"

because they are two completely different things, on every level of analysis.

and did you have to pretend you were a child to enjoy AOTC? the "that was for kids" comments are getting tired and weak.

there are films like willy wonka and toy story and babe and shrek that were made for kids, yet i saw them as an adult and still enjoyed them alot more than AOTC, which by the way, was rated PG.

4. Lethbridge-Stewart

Lethbridge-Stewart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    Are'nt we forgetting that Padme and Anakin went there to rescue Obi-Wan. Simple. Even if the trial scene was used instead of the factory, the end result is the same, they both get captured and sentenced to death. Move along to the next scene!

5. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Obi-Wan was attacked before he was captured. Why should we expect differently for Anakin and Padme?

6. Dr_Acula

Dr_Acula Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    I think the droid factory was put there as homage to the time filling sequences of 'Baywatch' and to a lesser extent 'Baywatch Nights'.

7. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    seriously though why did GL put the Droid factory into the movie. I'm sure there are any number of reasons but I like to take the symbolic aspect of the scene.

On one level the droid sequence to me is visually the opposite of the clone facility on Kamino. Where as one is almost a twisted version of creation, the other almost seems a chaotic representation of hell. This interpratation I found to be interesting to say the least. Where one was organic the other was mechanical. Where one was basked in harsh white light and blue tones, the other in red.
    Kamino was orderly, Geonosis was chaotic. Both created a version of man. Maybe GL was telling us that in many ways, while vastly different they are at the core the same. Man is playing god.

On a story telling level, I also found this scene to be interesting. The use of machinery with red (which is Palpatines colour) almost seemed to indicate what path Anakin would see in his future.
    Everybody knows the symbolism that is inherent in Anakins hand being caught in the machine. But I also thought the fact that Padme was almost killed by Lava interesting. Might this be a harbinger of things to come. Especially if the rumour of Anakins 'demise' is true.
    Also, I think GL wanted to show how quickly this army was bring created and how large it really was. Compare the 200,000 clones that were created, the droid factory was creating what looked like millions. This gives solid indiction as to how large the threat from the separatists is.

Finally, the action sequences were good clean SW fun.

8. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    One thing I've never quite figured out: Just how did Anakin escape from the leg molding? He was trapped then suddenly he was able to get his arm free, but the actual mechanism that freed him is a bit obscure.

9. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Durwood - it seemed to me there were two choppers. One chopped and put some sort of circuitry on the board where Anakin's arm was trapped, the next machine whisked it away, the next machine did some more work on the board, then the next chopper came down and luckily for Anakin, only sliced off a narrow portion of the board which chopped his lightsaber in half, but opened up the board enough for him to wiggle his hand out. IMO.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To me, it makes more sense that they get caught while fighting, than just walking in and getting caught. Though, I would've liked the trial scene as well.

11. DarthCorky

DarthCorky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    "'Why is C3PO being in the right time and place in AOTC any different than a giant slug that can live in a vacuum and support life inside it's stomach?'

because they are two completely different things, on every level of analysis."

...............so.............?

Whatever you do, DrEvazan, don't explain your response or write anything in depth and analytical to support it because then you might actually present an argument and that would be terribly out of character.

12. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    thanks corky.

if only you would take the time to read earlier where i pretty much answered the question.

and im guessing by your snide response that you can see the difference between the two examples? or are you just here to provide useless commentary on my style of posting?

there is a difference between completely impossible happenstance and the presence of a creature in a hole on an asteroid.

got it yet or shall i walk you through it further? sorry if i gave credit to some people for their ability to figure it out for themselves.

13. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Dr., we are ALL here to provide useless commentary on your style of posting.

It's tiresome, but it's what we live for.
    It's all about you, pal.

After all, can you imagine anything more compelling and enjoyable than reading your endlessly negative, abrasive and intellectually arrogant posts?

:)

14. dmodog

dmodog Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 1999
    Whatever you do, DrEvazan, don't explain your response or write anything in depth and analytical to support it because then you might actually present an argument and that would be terribly out of character.

are you actually expecting dr evazan to explain anything about his response? that goes against everything he stands for.

anyway, as far as the topic goes. i liked the droid factory scene. i thought it was fun and unique. much like a lot of "pointless" scenes in star wars movies.

also i thought it was pretty important to the story, considering padme comes dangerously close to dying, anakin's lightsaber gets broken which leaves open the spot for him to make a new one (i didn't feel it was forshadowing his arm getting cut off very much), it has the ongoing theme of r2d2 saving the day, and maybe some other things i forgot about.

plus if they didn't put the scene in, a lot of people would be complaining that the movie is too boring.

i think it would be kind of stupid if anakin and padme get caught right after they landed, especially since anakin's lightsaber is still working. but maybe that's just me.

15. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    I requote:

"because they are two completely different things, on every level of analysis."

"EVERY LEVEL OF ANALYSIS"

Here's a level of analysis, both incidents represent unrealistic moments in fantasy films where the viewer must suspend their disbelief. Wow, they aren't completely different things in that level of analysis.

So I guess that disproves your statement. It's always easy to disprove something as absolute as what you said.

It was my mistake to assume that you might be able to prove your ridiculous statement considering the arrogant tone with which you presented it.

P.S. In complete agreement with DarthKarma and Dmodog.

16. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    my god you can be boring sometimes.

thanks again for the flames.

17. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    Again, you don't back up your absolute statement or say that it was incorrect to say.

But I guess it's just YOUR OPINION that EVERY level of analysis would conclude with the same result?

If not, respond! Say why you think they are two completely different things on EVERY level of analysis.

18. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    PS

If you're tired of gushers flaming you, why don't YOU leave.

Whenever us gushers are bothered by you, you tell US to leave. You tell us to find some fantasy land where everyone will agree with us.

Perhaps we should tell you to find some fantasy land where people won't repond badly to your negative, condescending, arrogant posts and your penchant for not responding to legitimate questions posed to you by people who love AOTC. But if you want to stay, you'll have to put up with gushers getting angry due to your posts, just like we have to put up with your posts in the first place. The door swings both ways.

19. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    no because i dont get angry and flame when someone disagrees with me.

see TOS.

you still have a pending question about puns on another thread.

go check.

20. dmodog

dmodog Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 1999
    drevazan,

our posts are boring?

as if your posts are action packed?

what's so action packed about not actually debating anything? i've read a lot of your other posts and it seriously looks like you just support anything negative about AOTC without actually stating any real reasons for your opinions.

are you going to answer ANYTHING?

probably not. maybe it's because you know you are wrong? who knows.

no because i dont get angry and flame when someone disagres with me.

true, you don't flame people for disagreeing with you. but neither do I and other people, like darthcorky. what other people flame you for is because you never put up any kind of reasons for your comments. and you flame other people for pointing that out.

21. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    yeah yeah yeah.

whatever you want to think.

how bout this to satisfy your need to attack me instead of the content of what i say?

replace "every" with "many" in my comment you have oh so many problems with.

happy yet?

if not, oh well.

22. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    "how bout this to satisfy your need to attack me instead of the content of what i say?

replace "every" with "many" in my comment you have oh so many problems with."

The difference between "every" and "many" has everything to do with the content of what you said.

If you say "many," it means something completely different than "every."

If you just mean "many" I am happy with that and think it's fine. It's the absolute blanket statement that bothered me and always bothers me in basher posts. It's just like statements like "AOTC is the worst movie ever" and "AOTC has the worst dialogue ever." Exaggerated, absolute statements make people appear ignorant.

23. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Han just so happens to come back at the exact moment Vader is about to destroy Luke in ANH. Luke just so happens to come around seconds before the Wampa has finished with the Tauntaun in ESB. Chewie just so happens to walk into the scrap place with the Ugnaughts in ESB, seconds before C3PO is on the conveyer belt to be thrown in the furnace. The droids just to happen to be captured by the same Jawas in ANH, despite going in completly opposite directions. C3PO just so happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in AOTC.

24. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    Very good examples Slave2.

25. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.