main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Han allow Lando to Use the Falcon in ROTJ ??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StarWars2015, Jul 2, 2013.

1. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    I was just thinking of another way ROTJ could have turned out............

Think of it if Han had been in the Space battle, Chewbacca could have went with Leia down to the Planet, and Lando could have lead the strike team on the moon, with Han leading the Fighters against the Death Star.

We would have been on the edge of our seats waiting on Han to get out of the thing with flames all around him..........And Leia would have sensed his escape though the Force, when Lando.

I think they misplayed this big time. There was no logical reason given for Han to let Lando take the Falcon when he himself was able to lead the fighters and was the better pilot anyway !!!

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Because Han told the Rebellion that Lando would be great at being one of the leaders in the fleet battle. Something perhaps Han might not have been as good at.

Storywise, the love interests went to Endor together. It would have been dumb to separate them.

And since the Falcon would have been recognized he let the previous owner take it.

3. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    He's a team player.

4. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    1. Because Lando's a goddam general, and if Han doesn't hand over his ship he'll find himself going headfirst through the nearest airlock.

2. Han only thinks he's the best pilot because he's stupidly self-absorbed. Anything he can do Lando can do better.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Chewbacca wouldn't have left for Endor without Han, his life debt is not to Leia. So it would have been Lando, Leia, and Luke dirt side while Han and Chewie flew the Falcon. From a military tactical viewpoint, that makes sense to me. But story wise, it's better to have Han with Leia for more personal drama.

Hmmmm... As I finished typing, it occurred to me that Leia would likely have stayed in the Falcon with Han, leaving Lando and Luke to make friends with the ewoks. Watching city slicker Lando dealing with redneck primitives in their own territory might be entertaining, but then we'd lose the Luke and Leia scene.

So I think the best answer to the OP is, "Because the script said so."

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Lando's a General because of Han.

Not only is Han the best pilot as demonstrated in film he is the best pilot because West End Games says so despite their foul up concerning SSD lengths. :p

Sarge likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Because Lucas knew even then that the fan community would have lost their minds.

"No Millennium Falcon in the Death Star II Battle? Worst. Decision. EVER!"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I think you're exaggerating. Perhaps Lucas could have done as you wanted. But I feel that your way wasn't necessary for the story to be better.

minnishe likes this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Han had to be on Endor for the retaliatory "I love you." "I know." It wouldn't have played so well with Lando.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Because only Han could tell Chewie that the Empire didn't have Wookiees in mind with they designed TIE fighters.

Wait...could Lando understand Chewie? So much for that recent theory about how only Ahsoka could do it...

DarthDuckie likes this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The James Kahn ROTJ novelization has it as one of the signs Han is becoming less self-centered and more part of team, even to the point of trusting his friend with the other woman in his life. Just after this, there's a very well-written, if brief, passage about Han's premonition and just how much the Falcon means to him.

Yet another example of why the ROTJ book is my favorite of the novelizations.

minnishe likes this.
  12. CrackaJones

CrackaJones Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013
    Han needed to be with Luke and the others, and they still wanted the Falcon to be in the fight, it being the better fighter and would tear the TIE Fighters apart, so Han let the only other person he knew was a very good pilot (Lando) to plot his ship.

Jania_Solo12 and Little Mike like this.
  13. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Han might have been the better pilot out of him and Lando, but he was also better at espionage. Han is a man who has done things like this for a living for years - his MO is to get things (and people) in and out of places without authorities noticing. And the ground task is to get a team of rebels in a position to destroy the generator without the Empire noticing. It's a big job, but Han knows what he's doing with that kind of task more than Lando does.

So given that Han is basically better at both aspects of the assault, the Rebel leaders had to decide which mission would be a better use of his abilities. And when it comes down to it, getting the ground mission nailed is much more important than the space mission. Even if the space mission eventually goes pear-shaped, it's an enormous help to have the half-finished Death Star's shield destroyed - because then another "last resort" team (presumably hidden away somewhere or other away from the battle, as any sane war strategist would make sure of) can theoretically come back for another go. If the ground mission doesn't work though, then the Rebels are completely stuck. There's no chance for a second attempt at that due to heightened security, and a lack of numbers.

And taking all that into account, it's therefore vital that they put their best man for the job right where he needs to be, on the ground.

Given that Han clearly can't take the Falcon to Endor, it's sitting there doing nothing. And given that Lando knows it nearly as well as Han does, is a very good pilot, and could do with a flagship to lead the attack, well... it would just be plain silly not to use the Falcon.

And I think we can just assume that Han did initially protest against the use of the Falcon until someone explained all this to him, before the assembly.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Han was never shown to be one who was a "team player". He liked to do his own thing. I feel like he knew that leading a team and performing actions that were based on what the flight wanted was not something he would have liked to do. On the moon he had freedom to kind of do whatever he needed to in order to deactivate the shield. Han knew that Lando was a team player, and so he suggested that he do it rather than Han.

15. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    HAN
    Look. I want you to take her. I mean it. Take her. You need all the
    help you can get. She's the fastest ship in the fleet.

-C

16. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    They did ask Han to lead the fleet in the Death Star II battle, only he didn't want to do it, but don't take my word for it, take his ;)

LANDO (smiling)
    I'm surprised they didn't ask you to do it.

HAN
    Well, who says they didn't. But I
    ain't crazy. You're the respectable
    one, remember?

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Ding ding ding. :p

18. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Because,

A) They needed all the help the can get,

B) She's the fastest ship in the fleet,

and,

C) He wanted him to take her. He meant it, take her!

Source: Return of the Jedi (dialog)

I have to listen carefully and closely, but he says it. There is also a derpy looking guy with a pointy hood dinkin' around in the background at the time. It remains to be seen if he has anything to do with anything.

kubricklynch and Granger like this.
  19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [slaps hands together like seal]

funnnnnnneeeeeeeee!!!!

20. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    1: It's a movie. Deal with it.
    2. Han and Lando are Friends. Friends often do stupid things like loan each other things they hope to get back in the same condition.
    And then you get it back without the radar sensor and have every right to be pissed.

Jania_Solo12 and Mr. K like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder what Han's reaction to the missing sensor dish was?

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember his reaction to Chewie starting an overhaul on Hoth? Take it up a notch.

timmoishere likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To the extent that he's still bringing the loss of the dish up, 5 years later in the Thrawn trilogy.

Lego Thrawn likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No no! This one goes there, that one goes there!

Sarge likes this.
  25. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Wookiee_Vader likes this.