main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did he talk back to vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 10, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Sorry I don't know his name but during TESB a general on the star destroyer seems to think the rebel are not on hot. After Vader says they are he tries to change Vader's mind. Ok he didn't believe it they were there but why not just go there and then later you can tell the others "I knew it. Vader is a old fart". Why risk Vader getting pissed. Guess people were not really scared of Vader

2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Because he's as clumsy as he is stupid.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The Admiral is doing a typical military thing - he doesn't really respect Vader 'cos he's not military , he learns the hard way who's in charge .

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Ozzel is one of those political Admirals. That said, he was right in raising his objections that they could actually have been smugglers on Hoth, but Vader's insistence and him knowing that the rebels would go somewhere remote, plus his experience in battle, kinda made Ozzel change his mind.

That said, Piett is awesome.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Because he was a fool

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Ozzel wanted early "retirement", and he got it..

Random Comments likes this.
  7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Because he was stupid!!!!!!

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Can you blame him? He just didn't want to have to land on Hoth and freeze his 'wampas' off......... :D

Yoda118 and Order66Survivor like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Empire's resources are stretched thin enough as it is! They gotta take orders from some crazy Sith priest guy to run down a frozen iceball in an uncharted settlement? Move the whole damn fleet, no less! A good officer would wait for more concrete evidence before running off with gawd-knows how many Imperial troops to some random settlement that probably isn't the stupid rebels anyway. Which is why he brought the fleet so close out of the system, they had actual work to do and it was probably just some smugglers! It's all Vader's fault!

10. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    It seems to me that a lot of the military members did not respect Vader.Some were vocal about it,while others were smart and feared for their lives.

11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Or, he was just doing what any good officer would do: provide a reasonable alternative when he feels it's appropriate. If he'd been talking to another officer, it might've been OK. But, he was talking to Lord Vader on one of his obsessive quests. All you say in that situation is, "Yes, Lord Vader," and stay out of his way.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It wasn't Ozzel talking back that cost him his life; it was the ineptitude he demonstrated by bringing the fleet out of hyperspace where the Rebels could spot it. Two different things, and all. :p

Edit: I think I'm going to watch TESB tonight after talking about this.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't the Rebels put the shield up the moment they knew about the Imperial probe droid? So, no matter what Ozzel did, there would have been "an energy field protecting an area of the 6th planet of the Hoth system" when the Executor arrived.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True. Still, Vader doesn't know that, plus we do see that the rebels do in fact detect the Imperial fleet coming out of hyperspace-"General, we have a fleet of Star Destroyers coming out of hyperspace in sector 7." Presumably if they'd come out further away this wouldn't have happened. Sure, the shield would still have been up, but it obviously wasn't Vader's intent to vaporize Echo Base-he wanted Luke alive, not in atoms :p

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's possible that the shield is power intensive enough that they only put it up at the last minute- and that if Star Destroyers get close enough- they can pinpoint the generator and blow it up before the shield goes up. Still, I'm not sure how Vader was planning to sneak his way in. Star Destroyers are pretty huge with massive engines.

I'm not sure if they'd know the droid was destroyed- if the last bit of the recording had the fight with Han & Chewie they would- but if not- they might be unaware the droid was caught.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I guess Ozzel and other admirals didn't understand why Vader was so obsessed with searching remote systems instead of trying to kill the Rebellion by taking out their fleet and taking control of the anti-Imperial systems. He also didn't believe that the Rebels were actually stupid enough to continue hiding on one of the remote systems even after the Death Star went kaboom.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Because you weren't going to ever defeat the Rebellion by trying to engage their fleet. Gotta take out the leadership.

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Vader wasn't there for the leadership.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, he was there for Luke. Although I'm sure he didn't plan on letting Mothma et al live past the end of the war, either. Plus of course the attack on Echo Base has always been painted as terribly disruptive for the Rebellion, and rightfully so.

20. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that the main issue was that Piett found the base and not him.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  21. STARKILLER365

STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2012

22. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    It appeared as though many persons did not respect "Lord Vader" as we see the Imperial Military ask him to stop trying to scare them with his "ancient" religion.The way it seemed at times is Vader did not receive a lot of respect because the Emperor is the one that they feared most. Vader went from being the Chosen One to Palpatines Yes Man. It is no wonder the Imperial Generals did not respect him.

23. Yoda118

Yoda118 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2012
    i am new to forums & i am a proper geek sooooo can anyone explain what i have to do
    :)

24. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    I never understood this though. I would fear the **** out of a being who could kill me with his mind