main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH Why did I waste a great day?????

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedibri, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Ok let me say that this past weekend was great weather wise. But yesterday I let my Wife talk me into seeing "Spider-man".
    I went in with an open mind and left with a sour taste in my mouth. Needless to say I didn't like it. Alot of the scene's looked to fake. The story line was thin. But I expected that.
    The funny thing was as we were leaving this guy sitting in our row with about 11- 12 kids got up to leave as well and one of the kids said "Man that su**@@"! To which the man replyed yes it did.
    But don't let the fact that some people didn't like it spoil it if your going to see it.
    Maybe I'm just on a Star Wars buzz right now. But "Spider-man" just fell flat for me.

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    oh wow! I thought it rocked! It was so much fun, and it did exactly what I expected it to. Everyone else leaving the theater seemed to like it too.

It's not a work of art, and it certainly won't beat AOTC out in the SFX department, but it was fun and entertaining.

I love the song "Hero" that they play at the end [face_clown]

3. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    I've been a die hard fan of Spidey since I was about 4, and was very excited about this movie. Personally I loved it. It felt just like one of the old comic books and their ability to modernize the creation story, yet stay true to the original feel and intent was very well done.
    Also, I felt that Tobey did a great job of portraying Peter just the way he was when he was first introduced in the comic universe: shy, nervous, and geeky but with a good heart. But that's just my feelings. :)

4. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    JediBri- I completely agree with you-
    There were so many things just plain wrong about the Spider-Man movie that I don't know where to begin. Script was too thin, too much stuff was ripped directly off of other sci-fi/comic movies, that awful GG costume and CGI that was so sub-standard it looked ridiculous.
    Not a good way to start off the Summer movie season.
    Oh well, at least we have AOTC to look forward to!

5. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    Darth William you do of course realize that some your criticisms of Spider-Man are exactly the same as the ones that have been leveled against Star Wars for many years. Many people have said that the scripts of the SW movies are too thin and George Lucas admittedly "borrowed" from other films (especially those of Akira Kurasawa) and popular mythology. Yet we all still love them. Movies are a personal experience, that's why I hardly ever listen to the "professional" critics reviews.

6. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    D_S-Then what about all the positive reviews that AOTC is getting ;)

7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I am not too excited about Spiderman personally. Maybe that is because AOTC is only a week away now. (Wow, that felt good to say).

From what I have seen of the SFX on TV of Spiderman, it wasn't overly impressive.

Ebert gave the movie a thumbs down.

I dunno, it will definetly be no Attack of the Clones, that is for sure. I may check Spidey out this weekend to see what the hype is all about.

8. catamaul

catamaul Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    I saw Spidey once with a buddy. I then dragged my wife to it. I thought it was awesome. I actually said the word "perfect". It was "Hollywooded" just enough, to not loose the importance or stories of the origional books which included his origin. If AOTC is as good as Spidey, I will be much happier than I was when I saw TPM.

CGI was fine. It actually looked like a man learning to swing on a rope.

For a funny look at the directors improvement over the years, go watch Army of Darkness. Klatu Veratta Nikto.

9. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    A-L That is just nice to finally hear. Remember 3 years ago? The pre-release reviews slammed E1. So I'm not saying NEVER listen to reviews, just don't pay attention to them too much. :D
    I do have to admit that all of the good reveiws for AOTC are getting me psyched for the release date! Just over 1 week to go! Seems like only yesterday it was 3 years!

10. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    The days are definitely going by way too slowly. It seems like May 16 will never get here.

11. DarthClerical

Feb 28, 2002
    That's the problem I'm having. I spent three days at CII, getting all hyped up about the film and Star Wars in general. Then I come back and realise that I've got 11 days until AOTC and I kept thinking...what do I do now?

12. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    That is a good question DC. What do we do now?

13. DarthClerical

Feb 28, 2002
    Listen to the soundtrack again, read all the books, and keep chatting on here I guess. :)

14. Master_MayimNaar

Master_MayimNaar Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2001
    Two words: "mental regression." Legos and the other toys are great ways to get a Star Wars "fix" that will tide you over until the 16th. Ask my wife, she can attest to it. . . she plays with the Legos all the time [face_laugh] !

15. DarthClerical

Feb 28, 2002
    That's pretty funny. Thanks for the sugestion Master_M. :)

16. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Master_M, I'm sure Dana's not the only one that plays with legos in your house ;) I've been listening to the soundtrack almost nonstop. I think I'm getting ready to bust my paper doll book out and play with it. Has anyone see the Star Wars Life game? I was at Target the other day and saw it for the first time. That looks like it would be fun.

17. Master_MayimNaar

May 29, 2001
    Well. . . maybe I play with them too. What looked pretty cool to me was Star Wars Stratego. . . I love that game! Life looked cool too.

18. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Hey, I spent hours in line friday, the weekend at celebration 2, and went to see spiderman today and I loved it... Of course its no ATOC, and it will never be, but it is good to see that films are coursing along so that now, instead of an 70-80's version of spiderman with rope for webs, we have a cgi manifestation that absolutely kicked butt, not to mention that we have star wars to thank for that type of experience. Also, I feel very hyped up for atoc, because if a movie like spiderman racked up the money it did, ATOC can only do better.

BTW, Army of darkness...the words are Klatuu, Barada, Nikto(such as it is in what i think is the day the earth stood still, not to mention the names of three species from the star wars universe), or as Ash says, Klatuu, Barada,...Necktie!

Heh Heh, Lata people
    C.J.

19. catamaul

catamaul Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification. It all makes sense now.

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I do NOT play with legos

21. DarthClerical

Feb 28, 2002
    It's okay. We all have at one time or another. ;-)

22. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    cmon dana, you are only a year older than me and I still play with action figures...just give in to the child side and admit you play with legos...heh heh

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I may play with my paper doll book, but I don't play with legos.

I'm more of a Barbie doll/dress up kind of gal. [face_clown]

24. Master_MayimNaar

May 29, 2001
    She does too play with Legos! In fact, she takes Legos away from me and then I have to say "Hey, leggo my Legos!" [face_laugh]

ahem. . . sorry. [face_plain]

25. DarthClerical

Feb 28, 2002
    Hah!!! I knew the truth would make itself known! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.