main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why Did It Have to Be a Suicide Mission?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MidKnighT, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I posted this in the MEME thread but it does bring up an interesting point... [face_idea]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KSkywalker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The idea that an Imperial droid would be allowed to waltz into a highly-secure vault, by itself, and allowed to take a really sensitive piece of hardware is far more ridiculous than what actually occurred in the film. Impersonating human officers was likely necessary for being able to get as far as they did. Just another dumb meme.

Revyl Ren and Sarge like this.
  3. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    I don't get your logic. R2-D2 (who's not an imperial droid) "waltzed" right onto the death star and got whatever info he wanted. Same with the Cloud City computer system.

There were imperial droids just like K-2SO walking around Scarif including the one that K-2SO got info from.

From what we saw in RO and other SW movies there's no reason to believe that K-2SO couldn't just walk in and get the plans.

4. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, his flight into the facility would have raised a red flag (a security droid piloting a transport ship?). Secondly, it was Cassian who came up with the idea of accosting another K2 unit to access a map of the complex. And I don't believe he had clearance to enter the data vault: if you'll recall, he had to knock the technician out, thus putting an end to the trio's attempt at an infiltration. Also, he would not have known about "Stardust". Had he been sent alone, suspicious storm troopers would have eventually captured him and run a diagnostics as they had threatened to do on Jeddah.

Regarding Artoo's success on the Death Star, it should be remembered that there was an emergency that doubtless was prioritized by the personnel on the station. Also, I think the astromech was less of a threat.

Revyl Ren and Sarge like this.
  5. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

I actually kinda agree with a lot of this. Though I don't see why K-2SO couldn't have landed the ship. He had access to all the info needed. That said I think K-2SO could have at least gotten to the data vault level but not beyond that without some kind of trickery or force.

He may or may not have been able to figure out the "Stardust" thing if he'd have interfaced into the imperial computer systems (he did not have that opportunity in the movie leaving Cassian and Jyn to figure it out on their own).

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Huh? R2 didn't do that himself. Luke and Han took out the officers who were manning the place. Plus, in RO we're talking about a highly secure database. A droid waltzing in by himself and asking to be let into the vault would likely have been highly unusual without explicit authorization/ clearance from a human Imperial officer. This is just another poor example of "plot hole hunting." And it's thinner than a robin's egg.

Sarge likes this.
  7. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Not trying to start a flame war but you seem to be getting very defensive.

Yes Rogue One has some plot holes. But not as bad as some other Star Wars offenses like:
    • <removing list of examples after seeing forum warning>
    At minimum I think K-2SO could have at least nearly pulled off the mission on his own. The only possible resistance he would have is on the data vault level. Up until that point imperial droids were walking freely around Scarif. As for landing, nobody actually looked inside the ship to see who was flying it. K-2 was more than capable if providing the code, etc... himself to land.

8. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    You don't think it would be unusual and therefore suspicious for a security droid to be piloting a transport? The ship did have a welcoming committee (which was how Cassian and Jyn got their uniforms), and K2 would have had to use force to deal with them. Without a distraction to occupy the attention of the base's security personnel, his handiwork would have been discovered and his capture inevitable.

I don't see why Kay-Tuesso would connect "Stardust" with Galen, and there would have been no reason for Jyn to tell him to be on the lookout for it.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

This. There is a reason why Galen "Jyn, stay as far away from the Empire as you possibly can" Erso tells tells his daughter that she, specifically, needs to find the plans in the heart of the Imperial complex.

10. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    I don't think it's fun asking "Well why didn't they just do this?" with regard to plot because 99% of the time it's because it would have been boring, and I'm willing to forgive a story/characters for not doing the smart thing when the dumb thing was so much better.

That said, the mission as it happened was fine. I think you're just overestimating K-2's autonomy and abilities. This is the droid whose response to questioning stormtroopers was "I'm taking these prisoners... to imprison them... in prison." He needs a human with him on the ground to direct him towards what he's good at. As mentioned by others, he almost certainly would have been restrained by an inspection team wondering how this droid ended up by itself on an empty shuttle. And if he fought them off, well, raise the alarm--this is no longer a secret infiltration and he has absolutely no backup.

Darth Nave and Sarge like this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd entertain this slight poke at Rogue One as legitimate if it made more sense than what was in the film. But it doesn't. It seems a human in an officer's uniform was important for getting through different levels of security (including on the landing pad). End of story.

Not to mention that without the diversion set by the Rogue One crew (all the explosions), the team responsible for stealing the plans would have likely never made it to the data vault. All Imperial attention is on the explosions, and the Rebel attack. That's why Cassian, Jyn and K2 have such an easy time getting to the data vault. Without that, as K2 himself said after looking at a map of the place, their likelihood of being killed was very high.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    As coervus just said, K2 was not very convincing as an Imp droid. Remember that Cassian had reprogrammed him, and I haven't seen any evidence that Cassian was a professional droid programmer, so the resulting behavior was obviously a bit erratic. He wouldn't have gotten very far on his own without calling attention to himself.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    K2 couldn't make it past 2-3 Stormtroopers on "traffic duty" on Jedha without them demanding that his diagnostics be checked due to his unconvincing behavior.

Blue 5, Gigoran Monk, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    See, what they should have done was just call the base at Scarif on the phone and pretend to be Krennic. Then tell them that he needed a copy of the Death Star plans brought to another location for a "very important Imperial meeting", and then ambush the guy who brought the plans there. Boom. Done.

:p

15. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    To me, this is a complaint along the lines of "Why didn't they just use the eagles" that is often thrown at Lord of the Rings; it derives from the same hyper-logical mindset that infects internet film criticism that prioritizes nitpicking the plot (and looking for one that is 100% logical and realistic) over what emotions that the piece evokes.

Sarge and coervus like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That's an excellent script you just wrote. Consider sending it to LFL?

KSkywalker and EHT like this.
  17. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

LOL...ya it's exactly like that.

Of course if the Eagles fly Frodo to Mordor then there's no movie/story. Same with K-2 getting the plans.

That said, I give up. Too many people defending Disney to the death here. I'm realistic enough to know that Star Wars has more than a few plot holes and/or inconsistencies (and Rogue One certainly doesn't have the worst offenses in this category) but I can enjoy the movies anyway.

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wat.

Darth Nave likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    People are simply discussing the movies logically, not "defending Disney to the death".

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I generally agree. The only difference, in this case, is that it's not a plot hole. It's a perfectly logical story choice, and the alternative you've presented is even less logical. But don't mind me. I'm on Di$ney's payroll and can't be trusted. ;)

Re: the eagles, in the books they were uncontrollable spirits of nature that helped when they felt like it. Not to mention that Sauron would have spotted them and send the Nazgul to take them out. Or just done it himself. Secrecy and discreetness was key.

Sarge and Darth Nave like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No one has mentioned Disney, but you. Which begins to make this entire thread look to have a dishonest agenda. If this is just a latest attempt at Disney bashing, take it elsewhere.

(This moderation brought to you by Disney Inc.)

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh no! One of Disney's long, amorphous, tentacles has reached the administration.

But really, I do believe we are all in agreement that the suicide mission-y bit is fine?

23. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    Bigger point is that it wasn't a suicide mission even though the end results suggests otherwise. The Rogue One group obviously knew that this would be a dangerous mission, but Cassan wanted Bodhi to 'keep the engine running' on the ship so when they did steal the Death Star plans, they would fly out of Scarif back to the Rebel Base.

Gigoran Monk and Sarge like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Dude! I'd so defend Disney to the death. Not in this thread, mind you. But, definitely in general. I am seriously watching Princess and the Frog right now. And my daughter is sleeping at a friend's house. This is quality "me time".

25. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Ya'll need to chillax. The meme was made for fun. This is the no fun forum :p

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.