main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did it have to take one year to resuce Han solo?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Aug 11, 2015.

1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Why can't luke, leia, lando and chewbacca resuce Han solo the next day he was captured by boba fett and was to go to Jabba palace? Why did they wait a whole year to decide to resuce him why didn't they resuce him a sooner?

What do you guys think?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel, it takes something like 6 Tatooine months. But there's lots of things they need to do. Getting Lando into position as one of Jabba's guards, for example, getting Leia a disguise, Luke finding out how to make a lightsaber and doing so, and so forth.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke needed to advance further in his Jedi training, since he could barely fight Vader. Much less rescue Han. The rest is as Iron_lord said. It was initially six to eight months, but was pushed to a year by LucasBooks to allow for additional stories to take place in the timeline.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What source actually clarified that there was a full year gap?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The official timeline that Dark Horse Comics published when "Shadows Of The Empire" first came out in 1996. They put it as six months after ROTJ and ROTJ as four years after the Battle of Yavin 4. When "Dark Empire II" and "Empire's End" came out, SOTE wasn't listed yet and I think they put it as 3.5 years after ANH.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    How much time lapsed between the start of SoTE and the start of RoTJ though? Not 6 months, I thought.

I've been told that the source that upgraded the gap between TESB and ROTJ from 6 months to 8 months was the very recent (post Empire's End, post SotE) The Essential Atlas (date stamps).

It would be interesting to see what the newcanon calendar gives the gap as.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, back then, the Marvel Comics series wasn't being fully integrated yet. But I think it was supposed to be a bit of time. They never really said in the book how much time had passed during the story.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see 3 months working as the time from beginning of SoTE to beginning of ROTJ. And, long as the Marvel comic arcs were, it could probably work to squeeze them into the 6 month TESB-SOTE gap.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Did Jabba's palace have a deflector shield? if not I wonder why they didn't just swoop in and crack it open with larger guns then drop in whatever commados to take Han back.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Other than the logistical issues of getting all the pieces in place for Luke's plan to work, the main group of heroes still hold responsibilities to the Rebellion and the war they're fighting.

TX-20 and Iron_lord like this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Because the Alliance wasn't going to engage the Hutts in battle over one man.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

The man who helped blow up a Death Star, the man who the most important member of the Alliance went after...Luke, and ships can get around easy enough. My only thought is that it might have drawn attention and the Rebels were trying to lay low for a new DS attack.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  14. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Shall I post my whole article again?

15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't an ENTIRE year.

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And the man who basically signed off with, "I gotta leave, I can't stay. Well I have a price on my head, if I don't pay off Jabba the Hutt, I'm a dead man." They're not going to start a potential war with the Hutts (and they've got their resources as well) over one man, no matter how important he was. And like you said, they don't want to attract the attention of the Empire who will no doubt wonder at, and take advantage of the Rebels fighting the Hutts.

17. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    I don't like the re-arranging of the time line. 4 years between Empire and Jedi was a nice enough time line to deal with. If they're gonna try and cram everything into 6months - 1 year. Then Luke was the fastest trained Jedi ever

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Actually, I'm a little confused. It took nearly a year to rescue Han? That's odd. And why would Luke need to train as a Jedi before engaging in a rescue mission? They couldn't have rescued Han first before he could continue his training?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How long did it take Boba to get from Cloud City to Tatooine?
    In the EU Boba Fett was targeted by other Bounty Hunters, which delayed him by a while. And Fett would probably realize that people would come after Han, so Fett might have delayed drop off to throw people off.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Han was still one man, easily sacrificed if necessary.

Luke had at least a few weeks, to a couple months worth of training in TESB. Add in a year and he can do well, but he's nowhere near what his father was at after a year. Much less Obi-wan.

No, because they were on their own. And Luke needed time to build his Lightsaber, as well as continue to grow stronger in the Force. Look at him in TESB, when he's fighting Vader, he's sweating bullets and unable to fight him and deal with stuff being tossed at him. In ROTJ, Luke is cool as a cucumber. He never once breaks a real sweat and is able to block multiple attacks from all angles, only getting distracted once. He was much stronger in ROTJ, compared to TESB.

"Shadows Of The Empire", both the comic and the novel indicated there was a bit of a time passage between the end of TESB and the start of issue #1, where we see the Rebel fleet encounter a Star Destroyer and had to divert from their path, which took longer to get to Tatooine. By the end of the issue, we had Fett's arrival which then lead into the start of the novel.

21. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Luke seemed able to rescue Leia from the freaking Death Star, so I think he'd be able to handle some mafioso on Tatooine of all places.

Ignoring the EU and judging solely from the three movies, it feels to me that the rescue took place in much less than a month:

1. At the end of ESB, Luke tells Lando and Chewie that they'd meet them on Tatooine. That doesn't sound to me like, "Hey, a year from now we'll meet you on Tatooine." It sounds to me more like, "Hey, I'm almost all better from getting beat up. We'll meet you on Tatooine in a few days."

2. If Luke were going to train in the ways of the Force, and if he had an entire year, where would be the one logical place to go? Dagobah. But (judging from his meeting with Yoda in ROTJ) Luke never went back to Dagobah until after Han was rescued. Huh? "Yeah, I'm going to finish my degree, but I'm not going to go back to college. I'm going to go other places instead." Yeah.

The way I figure it, Luke did a lot of growing up in his confrontation with Vader in ESB. Talk about the School of Hard Knocks.

Sarge likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A rescue that nearly got all of them killed and wasn't well planned. When Luke planned Han's rescue, he planned things out to go his way. That meant planting his friends inside Jabba's palace and manipulating events to get Jabba out of there and into the open.

And that is true.

That is what happened. Luke didn't want to go back to Dagobah until he rescued Han first and for that, he needed to be on Tatooine first. And before he was ready to rescue Han, he needed to build a new Lightsaber and prepare himself to rescue Han. Lucas felt that Luke needed to be on his own and not with Yoda, which is what Brackett had written in her draft of TESB. Lucas in putting together ROTJ, opted not to have Luke train with Yoda again in the film because it would be like it was in TESB. So he looked at other avenues and Lucas had felt that Luke should be angry at Obi-wan and Yoda for withholding the truth about Vader from him and so he shouldn't go back. When Lucas decided to tone down Luke's anger, he instead focused on Luke training himself and building his own Lightsaber, which he is then told means that his skills were complete.

But in the rough draft and revised rough draft of ROTJ, Lucas had Han out of carbonite and with a beard. Thus indicating a passage of time between TESB and ROTJ. A significant passage. So there was always a time passage since the fall of 1980.

23. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Generally speaking, these long spaces of time between movies are only to fit as much EU into the continuity for people who like that sort of thing. Similar to the time between ANH & ESB, I can't see any reasonable person expecting the time to be more than a few months at the most. Luke had to set things up/Boba probably delayed his delivery /etc like most people had already said. But that probably didn't take more than 2 or 3 months at the most. I also thought Luke's fight with Vader matured him a lot. I'm sure he did some training by himself on Tatooine, but I don't think it was extensive or lengthy.

oierem likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The space in between ANH and TESB was set up in the novelization for the latter. There wasn't much of an EU when Donald F. Gult wrote the book and he would have gotten his information from someone at Lucasfilm. The second time jump which is in the novelization for ROTJ, was also from before there was much of an EU. The actual push to almost a year for Han's rescue was done to allow for SOTE, but everything was already set up before then. When the OT was made, the only EU was a few books, the Marvel Comics series and the newspaper strips. The majority of the books were set before the films, while "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" indicated a year had passed since ANH. The comics never really elaborated on how much time passed, until the new film had come out and stuff was then taken into account. The 90's EU revival just remained consistent with established material.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Going by the two movies alone, the time between SW and ESB doesn't seem that long to me, either. Han Solo came thatclose at the end of SW to immediately leaving and paying Jabba right before the Rebels' attack on the Death Star. Instead, he took a 10-minute detour, saved Luke, and returned to get his medal. (It must be worth something, after all.) Now everybody has to leave. Fast! The Empire knows the location of the secret base, so it's not secret anymore. So everyone leaves, including Han Solo. Where would he go? To pay Jabba. I can see him going to Hoth and then leaving, but I can't see him putzing around for a year or more while constantly whining about having to pay Jabba, especially since all he had to do was go make a deposit and then (if he so desired) come back to Hoth (or wherever). It makes no sense for Han to put things off for a long time. Therefore, it makes the most sense to suppose that the time between SW and ESB was two or three months at the very most.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.