main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Kanobi say.... in ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by echo_seven, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo_seven

echo_seven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Kanobi to Luke "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough.... it is your fathers Lightsaber.."

Did Anakin ever mention to Kanobi that if they had a boy that he would want his son to have his lightsaber?

Anakin didn't even know what Padme was going to have.

2. snootch2nootch

snootch2nootch Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I dont think Obi was directly speaking for Anakin, but saying that he knew the good in him would want Luke to have his lightsaber one day.

3. Le1gh

Le1gh Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Because by the time Lucas set out to work on the PT, the story had been altered so drastically that a million anomolies were left in its wake which i guess he didn't feel the need to clear up.

4. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    look its not important - its simply obi wan telling luke that if anakin were still a jedi he would pass on his lightsabre to him, baring in mind luke doesnt know anakin is vader. - dont think about stuff like this! its irrelavant.

5. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Kenobi is referring to the Anakin he knew. Anakin WOULD have wanted Luke to have his lightsaber. Luke was nowhere near ready for the emotions involved in learning the truth.

6. Abee-Wan-Kenobi

Abee-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    that is true. Anakin would have loved it if one of his kids would someday be a jedi, and thus yes, he would want his child to start with his lightaber. In the end of ROTS, right after Obi cuts off anakins legs and arm he also catches anakin's lighsaber. He then tells him that he was the choosen one, and that he loved him like a brother. You then see him walk away with both sabers in hand. So yes, he held on to it for at least two purposes. One, to have a reminder of his best friend, and two to perhaps one day give it anakins child hoping that it would survive.

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    For all we know at one point in his life he said to Ben "If I ever have a child, I want him to use my saber when he starts his Jedi Training" the I guess Obi-wan said "You're a Jedi Anakin, you can't have children"

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    If they haven't already done it, hopefully the EU will mention the line sometime.

9. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    there's discussion of this in the ROTS thread. I don't see it as a plothole, but some there do. I see it as Obi Wan trying to make more of a connection to Luke and the Jedi. For him to get an emotional attactment to the sabre.

This weapon is your life!

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Its better than saying:

"This is your fathers lightsaber. I picked it up off the ground after I sliced him in half for being a traitor. I know if he hadn't of turned traitor and I hadn't of cleaved him in two he'd of wanted you to have it."

11. electrum538

electrum538 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

12. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Obi-Wan knew it was time for Luke to start his training and Luke thought his father was a navigator so he wasn't extactly "full of beans"

what a better way to give the lad pride and the "get up & go" then tell him his father was a hero & loved his son enough to make a request to pass his lightsaber on to his own flesh and blood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.