main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Lando believe that his citizens had repaired the Falcon?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Naboo1, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    I mean, he was set up by the Empire to capture Han?

2. Sid554

Sid554 Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    Um... Because they had repaired it. It was the Empire that deactivated it, and obviously Lando had no knowledge of that.

3. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Yes, but did Lando really think the Empire would really allow him to escape on board a Falcon with a working Hyperdrive?

4. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I seem to remember them trying to stop him from getting to the Falcon in the first place.

5. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think it occured to Lando that the Imperials had tampered with the Falcon. He probably figured since they had gotten past the stormtroopers they were home free.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Lando was probably also counting on his inovative can and string alarm system to warn him if anyone tried to get onboard the Falcon. The Impswere clever buggers though and stepped over the string, thus negating it and leaving him unaware of their sabatoge.

7. jedi_john_34

jedi_john_34 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    i think deactivating the hyperdrive after it was fixed was a backup plan incase they got free somehow. the troopers may suck at everything else, but they can follow orders.

8. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    The deal, as Lando understood it, was that Han would be turned over to the bounty hunter and Leia and Chewie were to stay at Cloud City. Why would Lando know the Imperial's deactivated the Falcon's hyperdrive?
    Later the deal changed, Vader was going to take Leia and Chewie. Lando protested and Vader threatened to leave a garrison on Cloud City and lightly choked Lando. That's when Lando decided to alert the citizens and escape. Vader obviously anticipated this and had his agents deactivate the Falcon's hyperdrive.

9. Darth_Mugzilla

Darth_Mugzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    So, why would the Imp's deactivate the MF? Wouldn't there be a stormtrooper or 2 onboard? Why make it even able to take off?

I think it is more relevant that the IMPS ordered the repair dudes NOT to fix it, OR, the MF is such a mish-mash of parts and computers that they THOUGHT they had fixed it...

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Because Vader knew they would rescue Luke from under the city, and so he wanted to capture the Falcon as it was trying to escape Bespin.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe Lando wanted the Falcon back for himself?

More likely, it's a plot device.

E_S

12. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Ah, yes, the Plot Device, most important part of any hyperdrive!

And don't be too hard on Lando. He "trusted them to fix it;" it's not his fault! :p

13. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Why make it even able to take off?

1) The hyperdrive was already broken (Edit: I meant before Lando's people fixed it; presumeably an existing problem would get less attention from the computer than entering a new one)

2) If they got into the Millenium Falcon, past the Stormtroopers, without getting shot then it would be easier to capture them from the Executor - remember that the Falcon has the repeating blaster and quad cannons. Stormies would get slaughtered against these, the Executor probably has the firepower to take care of them. There's also the shields, and the hull, and whatever weapons stored onboard by Han. Disabling all the more shady features would take a long time.

3) By making the Falcon seem like it was able to fly, it would be less likely to show up when someone checked the status of it. Pursued by stormtroopers, would Lando really check to see that the Hyperdrive was enabled, or trust his men to have done their job? It also saves the, from the risk of them fixing the Falcon and escaping somewhere into the city, by the time they could fix the Falcon they were supposed to have been in the Executor's tractor beam.

14. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I see your point, but it's funny, considering all the stormtroopers really had to do was shoot up the cockpit.

15. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The real question is.......why did the Empire enter that piece of information into the Bespin computer system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.