main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Lucas choose Ewoks over Wookies in ROTJ...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by gpcovenant, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpcovenant

gpcovenant Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Did Lucas originally intend for Endor to be the Wookie home world Kaarysk (or however you spell it), and if so why did he change it? Technical reasons? The only thing I can think is to show the failure of reliance on technology. That ultimately technology will not save you.

I must admit I often fantasize what it would have been like if it had been the Wookie world in ROTJ. Bar none, the pinnacle of the series. Still is one of the best in my mind but not perfect.

2. SNS

SNS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Because it wouldn't be surprising that they can beat the Stormtroopers (the whole thing was about a primitive society prevailing & Chewbacca definately knows about technology).

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I don't think it was ever planned for the Wookiees to be in ROTJ. But originally Lucas did think about having Wookiees helping out the rebels at the Battle of Yavin very, very early in the drafts.

4. J2183

J2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2004
    SNS pretty much covered it there. Best listen to the commentary on the DVDs dude. He explains it all.

5. SNS

SNS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Yes, it was planned (this is an established fact).

6. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    It would of been alot cooler if the E-woks were actual cavemen/barbarian type warriors.They all could of been over 6 foot tall and weigh over 250 pounds.

7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He originally envisioned a battle on a Wookie planet, but throughout the saga he had established that Chewie was a genius at repairing ships and droids, could fly the fastest ship in the galaxy, and was an excellent shot with his rifle. Therefore, if he showed a Wookie planet as being populated by primitives, it wouldn't make sense, as they had probably achieved a certain level of technology.

8. DARTHJOSHSAN

DARTHJOSHSAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    yeah but how long was he with han solo for.
    a couple of years at least.

han and chewie got into alot of troble, so he would have leant some things.

coz he was taken away from his home wasnt he?

back home might be "caveman type"

9. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Why did Lucas choose Ewoks over Wookies in ROTJ...

Because Ewoks are just plain better.

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002

You won't be saying that in May!

11. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Also it's hard to find a lot of people that are over 7ft, with Ewoks they can use midgets and children.

12. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    'cause the wookies are an advanced society, as far back as KOTOR, and they would mess up the whole Man vs. Tech thing.

I would have enjoyed the movie alot more if the ally race was more threatening than teddy bears.

Hand

13. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Lucas knew what he was doing. The Ewoks worked great for STAR WARS EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI and the STAR WARS Saga. :cool:

14. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    1 of 2 reasons.

a. He hates us.

b. He wanted something for us to shoot for sport in Battlefront. Wait then why did he need the Gungans?

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    It's because you wouldn't expect Ewoks to be able to help. You know Chewie and therefor know from the beginning that Wookiees would help the Rebels kick imperial butt.

Ewoks were just a distraction. They distracted the Heroes a bit and they destracted the Empire a lot - but were never really putting up much of a fight. And you have a hard time believing it (obviously).

"more threatening"? The Ewoks were never meant to be threatening. Except maybe Wickets very first appearance, but only briefly.

16. Super_Secret_Mario

Super_Secret_Mario Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    "It's because you wouldn't expect Ewoks to be able to help. You know Chewie and therefor know from the beginning that Wookiees would help the Rebels kick imperial butt."

Then he could have said that Chewie was an outcast from the other Wookiees (that would also explain why he knows technology & they don't). Of course it would contradict the Holiday Special but I doubt he cares about that.

17. gpcovenant

gpcovenant Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Thanks for the tip to watch the DVD commentary for ROTJ. Great stuff and he does explain why the Ewoks were choosen. Have to say I appreciate it more now. With him using the Wookies in ways he had not planned in the previous two movies and the limitations of techin 83, ewoks were one of the few ways he could go. These DVDs are really amazing... felt like I was watching the movies for the first time.

18. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Ewoks were just a distraction. They distracted the Heroes a bit and they destracted the Empire a lot - but were never really putting up much of a fight.

Yes they were. They fought quite hard, actually.

First people sneer that the Ewoks "easily defeated" the Imperial troops (although I wouldn't call it "easy," and many Ewoks died in the battle). Then they complain that the Ewoks didn't put up much of a fight.

And you have a hard time believing it (obviously).

I don't see why. The Ewoks are small and cute, so people think they're harmless. No doubt that's part of the reason why the Empire parked DS2 in Endor's orbit and set up an outpost on the planet; they figured the little fuzzballs would be no threat at all. They figured wrong.

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    They fought hard, but it didn't do much. Not nothing, just not much.

Somebody will always complain. I give you 5 bucks if nobody complains about the Wookiees in May or June 05.

You don't see why. The people I referred to did.

20. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    From what I heard, they were supposed to be wookies, but somehow the art department got the measurements wrong. Lucas mistakenly wrote the height as " (inches) instead of ' (feet) when he placed the order, so by the time everyone arrived at the forest set, they were in for a surprise. It would've taken too long to redo everything, so a simple shuffling of letters in the word wookie, and they kept going.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    ^ Never heard that one before. I always heard that he couldn't find enough actors to fulfill the height requirement, so he cut their size in half and renamed them "Ewoks." Which is actually "Wookiee" with the letters rearranged.

You won't be saying that in May!

We shall see. Nothing beats the Ewoks. ;)

22. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    I think the Ewoks not looking tough made the fact that they were able to fight reasonable well even better, because it shows you not to underestimate things...even overgrown teddy bears.

Oh, and ewoks rock.

The Cleric 007

23. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I heard this too. I think it had to do with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

to many wookiee costumes, they are much more expensive to make.

24. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    You know, I don't think SW really has to worry too much about money, at least not by the point when RotJ was being filmed.

The Cleric 007

25. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Actually, it did. ESB went severely over-budget and Lucas ended up having to beg 20th Century Fox for money to finish the shoot. The profits from ESB were funneled back into ILM, which at the time was still getting on its feet.

LFL didn't have limitless cash at the time of ROTJ. It still doesn't have limitless cash. It is Lucas's practice to funnel profits back into the company, which I'm sure is extremely expensive to run, especially since it is independent of Hollywood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.