main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Lucas make Vader much more energetic in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Genrader, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    In A New Hope, notice that Vader is way more brash, moves much more quickly, and talks in a harsher, less scary tone. At least, it isn't as scary to me.

I prefer the Vader of the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to the ANH one. Will Episode 3's Vader be like the ANH one? Hmmm...

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I noticed that his voice sounds slightly different in ANH. I never really noticed a difference in his physical manner, though - I'll have to watch again.

3. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Shouldn't the question actually be "Why did Lucas make Vader less energetic in TESB?"

4. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    I like the less energetic Vader much more, and his costume is shinier. It's much more...how do you put it...stately, scary, and dominating?

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Vader seemed very energetic running around Hoth to me.

And when he was fighting Luke and the end he was tearing it up.

So- i dont understand the problem.

CLone

6. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    His storming of the blockade runner at the beginning of the ship shows Vader with this brash, angry voice that speaks a lot harder and faster than the other two movies. I was just wondering why Lucas chose to change that in ESB And ROTJ to a more slow-speaking Vader.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The more I watched the movies, the more I noticed it. It seems a bit weird to me. I'm glad he changed it. I don't really like his outburst after killing Antilles. sounds like "...and bring me the passengersIWANTTHEMALIVE!!!"

Even in ANH he's rarely like that afterwards. When he comes to interrogate Leia he's very ESB-like already.

Maybe those were scenes shot early, when neither George nor Prowse knew exactly how to handle Vader. And just stuck with it when having Jones dub the scenes.
    Don't know, though.

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I actually like Tantive IV Vader. He seems more human than robot in those scenes.

9. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Vader scares the sh!t out of me. That's all I really have to say on the subject.

(He better make me poo my pants in RotS)

10. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    I see what you mean. I think it was Lucas experimenting with Vader's character.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I dunno, maybe thats the first time in a while since he's killed someone before? And the bloodlust was just coming back to him? Well an enemy kill and not one of his own.

12. basiclee

basiclee Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2004
    I really dislike Vader in ANH, it's probably the robes on his chest armor, combined with his dull helmet and less imposing voice, along with the way he's portrayed to be quite weak, following Tarkin's orders and being the laughing stock of the imperial officers. I dislike ANH as a whole infact, at least in comparison to ESB and ROTJ, it's the film that's aged the worst, it seems like a really 70s movie, whereas ESB and ROTJ are much more timeless.

13. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    One thing that made ANH seem so old is things like the control tower in the Death Star, it's huge, it's red and black, and has tons of goofy looking lights.

But yeah, Vader just doesn't seem the same to me.

More cowardly Vader (imo)

http://www.starwars.stopklatka.pl/images/alderaan.jpg

vs

Dominating, slow speaking Vader:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/ESB_Vader.jpg

14. Cloudreaper

Cloudreaper Jedi Master star 2

Mar 2, 1999
    I always felt like the Tantive IV Vader was a very frustrated, angry Vader. Perhaps he had some personal responsibility for the Rebels managing to steal the plans in the firt place or he was being held personally responsible for their recovery and could face some kind of punishment if he failed. Frakly, given that we now have the prequels, I sort of like that the first time we see Vader in IV, he's every bit as excitable and frustrated as the way Anakin's been portrayed.

In ESB, the times Vader is angry it's much more of a seething anger, so his tone is definitely more deliberate and controlled.

15. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    Hmm, it could be that Vader was always like he was in A New Hope until he came into contact with Luke, and he changed.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "I sort of like that the first time we see Vader in IV, he's every bit as excitable and frustrated as the way Anakin's been portrayed."

I like that. I think it could be true, too. It seems similar, but of course less whiney than, for instance, his "holding me back" outburst.

17. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Vader energetic in ANH? I must have missed that. The lightsaber duel was so slow...then in ESB he is moving almost as fast as they do in the prequels.

18. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    Listen to Vader in A New Hope:

Er, you'll have to copy and paste these:

THIS ONE PARTICULARLY:
    http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=takeher.wav&img=16&tt=wav

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=faith.wav&img=&tt=wav

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=iammastr.wav&img=&tt=wav

----------------------------------

Now listen to some ESB/ROTJ:

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=forgiving.wav&img=&tt=wav

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=clumsy.wav&img=&tt=wav

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Audio/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader&image=motivate.wav&img=&tt=wav

19. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Vader was talking faster at the begining because he was A) ticked and B) under pressure to get back the plans. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to face Palpatine in that situation.
    BTW, if you look carefully in ANH, in certain lights Vader's eyepieces glow red. Also, keep an eye out for the amazing color-changing lightsabers. Both Luke's and Obi-Wan's go from blue to turquoise and silver, while Vader's goes from red to orange and, dare I say it, PINK. This also happens throughout ESB and ROTJ.

20. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The pink saber didn't exist until the horrid DVDs hit the shelves. Ugh. The DVD versions were a rush job. Let's hope something better comes along.

Anyhoo, "fast energetic Vader" only really exists in the beginning of ANH. There's nothing uncharacteristic about Vader in the rest of the movie really. So yeah, assume he was really pissed off and motivated and everything makes sense.

L8r

21. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Better question may be:Why did Kerschner make Vader less energetic than Lucas did in ANH?

22. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    Vader changes when he starts chasing Luke between ANH and ESB. Before that he was Palpatine's errand boy, just like Darth Maul in TPM. In ANH he's doing a job. The Imperial officers know he's a #2 (or even a #3 with Tarkin around) and they treat him that way. In ESB he's on a personal quest. That's a huge difference. I don't think it has anything to do with who the director was. It was the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.