main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Lucas not film Star Wars like LOTR

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Nerak, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bregor

Bregor Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    Another thing to consider is that one reason that PJ did all three LotR movies at the same time is to insure that they would all get made, and the series would not end partially complete. Since Lucas is financially independent, and is paying for the Star Wars films largely out of his own pocket, he does not need to worry about this.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think this topic has been answered well.
    The fact that people have been able to put forward explainations for why both LOTR and SW were filmed differently indicates that there are good reasons for both methods. The fact that we can debate the different styles meaningfully shows that both work.

This topic wasn't about which was better, it was asking for reasons why they were filmed in different ways and so this thread has succeeded in that.

Nerak, I hope all the replies have been helpful for you :)

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Besides that, Lucas is getting older. I doubt he has the energy to spend five or six years working constantly on SW.<<

Actually, that's pretty much what he's doing now. Shooting all three back to back would actually have taken less time to film (although FX work would still take a couple years), probably almost in half the time. So I don't think thats an issue for Lucas.

4. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Why is it that most people feel that George Lucas is only out to make a buck? Sadly I feel that most people think Star Wars is "out" and "LOTR" is in. That wasn't directed at anyone particular, I just wanted to write it.

I don't think the "time" issue is a big deal. People will stay intrested in something as long as they want to.

Unlike LOTR, the Prequels were not already written, nore had they been written all at once (which I don't understand). Lucas needs more time to write each chapter, then get the ball going, make the movie, rest a little, then write another chapter, then get the ball going, make the movie, rest a little and so on.

Either way I don't really matter to me, I'm a patient man.

5. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Simple answer: It'$ all about the Luca$$

6. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    lucas probaby made them like he did because. . . .thats how he made the first three he made! thats how movies are (usually) made, they go through a process. and the more you learn about moviemaking, the more you realize. . .someone said it earlier. . .LOTR was a huge gamble. so much so that it was turned down tons of times by major movie houses, even when there was only two movies planned, instead of three. it looks like, since sw is lucas' baby, he spends much more time with the nitty gritty than most (watch the extras on the dvd). its a good idea to spread them out, i think.

ps - if he HAD filmed them all like LOTR, then every fanboy on the net would have had the complete script to ep 3 before TPM came out.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And again... loads of people on the LOTR commentary tracks say DON'T MAKE THREE FILMS AT ONCE!!!! They said it was right for this project but an excrutiatingly difficult and complex process.

8. Adobe_Wan_Kenobi

Adobe_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    Maybe the idea was to be able to "savor" the prequels. I mean, think about it. In all likelyhood, Episode III will be the last SW film there is. If they had been filmed all at once, it would be over already. The end of starwars. Then what do you have to look forward to?
    As for the aging aspect, I dont believe it plays much part in the decision. The only people who it would really affect are Ewan and Natalie. Jake was obviously replaced with Hayden for the gap between I and II, and the space between II and III is only a few years, so Anakin wouln't have changed much anyway.
    In the end, who knows. Ask George. Heheh

9. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Which is why Lucas deserves respect, as both the director and WRITER of a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Well......he didn't direct all of them. He directed A New Hope and the PT. He wrote all of them with co-writing assistance.

And he didn't do everything like people like to say he did...

....ask yourself this question: how many characters, ships, aliens, and environments do you honestly think Lucas designed?

He has people who design stuff for him.

And you all know thats BS when he says that he had the whole story thought out from the beginning. Otherwise he would have made the PT a long time ago!!!!! Lucas always seems to contradict himself.

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    3 years of anticipation can be good, but then again it can act as a double-edged sword. 3 years leaves alot of room to create impossible expectations...

11. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I don't think he should have necessarily made the 3 movies at once, but at least he could have written the scripts all at the same time. We wouldn't have all the dropped TPM plot threads/hints if things were planned better. (Midi's, Anakin freeing slaves, Jar-Jar's character arc, etc...) Everything would just fit together better.

12. Corpsey_The_Ewok

Corpsey_The_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    Probably been covered, but I'll say it anyway. If Lucas had shot all three films back to back, then he would not have been able to change much from the 2nd and 3rd films based on audience reaction to the 1st film.

Now I don't care what people say about Jar Jar's role in AOTC, all I know is this: Jar Jar's screen time was drastically cut down after being universally slammed by pretty much everyone. I would bet serious money that GL originally envisioned Jar Jar as the OT's Chewbacca. Put it this way, if he had filmed them back to back, it'd be Jar Jar all the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.