main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Did Luke Call R5-D4 An R2 Unit?.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by snelson, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    why did luke call r5d4 an r2 unit.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Could be worse. He could have called him a robot :p

3. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    I always thought it was cos the original units were called R2's and the name just stuck to all subsequent models. Then again, they were probably originally called R1's.

4. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    Probably the same reason people call CDs 'albums' or refer to the graphite in pencils as 'lead'.

5. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    The album is the collection of songs... calling a CD a 'record' might be a better analogy.

6. Aiwendil42

Jul 16, 2008

I agree that that's what it's come to mean and what it usually means now, but the reference seems originally to have been to the vinyl record itself. The OED, for instance, says only:

6. A long-playing gramophone record or a set of such records.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    As far as the thread question, all droid units were probably known as "R2" units in those days.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    What are the first 5 definitions? Because the vinyl albums are in turn named after photo albums. The word as such refers to a collection of some sort IIRC, so it's not wrong to call CDs albums - except they lack the resemblance to photo albums.

Which is why it's fine to call an R5 unit an R2 unit. It becomes more debatable with the huge bulky R1 units.

9. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, during the making of the first movie they were less nit picking and hadn't formed different designations for all the droids yet.

10. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    I call all the ones that look like that R2 units. :confused: No idea why, I just do....

11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Did any other astromech droid have a name other than R2-D2? Or did the names come later along with all the toys? I don't recall hearing another astro-droid's name mentioned, which is probably why the script never made the distinction.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Yup. Calling a CD an album is fine - that's like calling an R5 unit a "droid". Calling a CD a "record" is debatable as record is short for recording. But I think LP is synonymous with vinyl.

13. Aiwendil42

Jul 16, 2008
    The first five definitions are tablets, books, photo albums, and the like. But I agree with your logic, and I suppose the OED's definition can be put down to vinyl records being the only format around when the entry was written. The graphite/lead example is better.

14. rich-narco

rich-narco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    because he's not called R5 D4. In my first edition novelisation of the OT movie - he's a "red artoo unit"..... R5D4 came from the Kenner toys and just stucl i guess.

15. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    He is just a farmer he could easily mix it up.

16. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Yeah, I think that they were all "R2" is the original script.

17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    There was probably no need for there to be more droid names than "R2", so they left it at that because R2 was the only important astromech droid in the entire movie. "Red" (as Luke calls it) was not.

18. The Sneaky Squirrel

The Sneaky Squirrel Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 1999
    The different names for the different "type" of astromech - R2, R3, R4, etc., was a system invented by the Lucasfilm marketing department, not by Lucas himself. He names the astromechs whatever he wants since, of course, like all things EU, he's never paid attention to it. That is why he named Obi-Wan's droids in the prequels "R4," even though they don't have the pointy "R4" dome type, and why, in the new CW series, we've seen astros named R3, R6, and R7, even though they all have "R2" style domes.

I think to him they are all "artoo" units, and the different domes make as much difference in their functionality as their paint schemes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.