main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why did Luminara just climb into her own execution sarcophagus?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    No resistance at all. Just stood up, walked over and got into it like a lamb. Didn't even try fighting. It seems a really punk way to go out, not a Jedi thing at all.

I wonder if they pulled some psychological stuff on her like "if you don't get in that box, we will massacre a town" or something.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She was beat and new the jedi were destroyed.

3. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I was wondering if they maybe drugged her or something and just sealed the thing shut.

uperduper likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we saw a holo of her right before she was executed. she didn't actually climb in the coffin. she stepped back into that corner and was killed then they put her in the coffin and left it there.

5. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I think there are drugs able to suppress a Jedi's Force skills. Probably she has been given a steady dose of it to lower her Force abilities significantly.

Or probably, she was captured and executed by her ex-Padawan, and it was so a heart-wrenching situation that she practically lost her will to live.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...the-luminara-twist-in-rise-of-the-old-masters

IGN: Can you talk a bit more about that recording?

Filoni: Literally, what you see in that hologram, is her sitting, waiting to be executed. It’s a recording of that event. So when they walk in and see her, they’re actually standing where the Inquisitor was standing [when it was recorded]. And so when she walks up and looks at them kind of distantly and not very friendly, she’s looking at the Inquisitor and that’s what the recording is of. Then she steps over into that chamber and obviously she gets killed there. It’s really wicked when you think about it. The material of her body is the essence that Kanan is somehow sensing through the Force. But he knows there’s something off about it. But since he didn’t really know Luminara, he doesn’t really know.

7. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    She climbed into the sarcophagus believing that she would get gorgeously tanned ;)

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe we just didn't see the gang of five inquisitors and Darth Vader who were standing just out of Holo-frame with all manners of torture devices?

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    walked up to execution sarcophagus
    Inquistor ignited lightsaber
    falls back into execution sarcophagus all fine and dandy

Imperial execution sarcophagus' are efficient affairs!

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Can anyone translate what is written on her sarcophagus?

11. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    It was:

File: Luminara Unduli
    Class: Jedi Knight
    706-1013

cwustudent and Vorax like this.
  12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Probably just completely psychologically broken at this point. The Jedi have been wiped out, the Chosen One has turned to a freaking Sith, and her apprentice is a lunatic terrorist bomber and traitor. Managed to summon enough Jedi/zen peace of mind to die with her sanity and dignity intact rather than fight what seemed an impossible fight.

13. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    By remaining silent and taking no action, she could have been protecting someone or something. Perhaps she allowed herself to be sacrificed for something greater, as she would never turn and would rather become one with the Force than serve evil. The Inquisitor was there when she died, so there is more to her story after ROTS, as she may have been alive for years after the fall of the Order.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I like to think there were a couple of stormtroopers around at the time frog marching her into the coffin

Vialco likes this.
  15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    And just so we're clear, I'm fairly certain that the numbers are not dates, but are in fact her prisoner identification number.

Why? For one thing, the same numbers are printed on her prison uniform (and no prison is going to make you wear a tunic that has your birth and death dates on it; what if the death is rescheduled to next year, do they have to print up new fatigues for her with corrected dates?). Second, if you do the math, it would mean Luminara died at the age of 307 - and I've NEVER heard anyone suggest that she was that old.

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Looking back, this was not as cool as it could've been. They left it so vague that there's no way to know what was going on and they never explained it other than Filoni's "word of god" explanation. I was convinced it was some Sith alchemy at the time, with the Inquisitor controlling her spirit. That's a little weird but it would've been mysterious and dark, and the real explanation needed more fleshing out on the show. There's no reason to keep it so vague except for trying to keep the show "light" for the general audience.

uperduper, The4thSniporr and Vorax like this.
  17. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea, I agree and I had expressed my reservations about it way back when this episode was on the way and after it aired. There is a chance maybe its something they want to go back to or (re)explore with use a similar position/device with another character in the future.

I know it was something Filoni had to do an interview with and explain to fans and public and maybe even some suits at Disney, as the end result was strange. Likely Filoni learned editing from Lucas, which means cutting to much out and hardly ever seeing cut footage(which was often needed and essential) extended editions.

uperduper likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So why did they keep her alive and not just kill her on the spot.

uperduper likes this.
  19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Theatrical demonstration.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean in Universe.

uperduper likes this.
  21. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    Because REASONS! [face_laugh]

Okay, more seriously, perhaps The Inquisitorious (assuming one exists -- which I very much suspect indeed it does) had been on the verge of discovering how to maintain -- and contain -- one's Force energy. And they suggested to the Emperor or to Vader that this is "a good way to trap Jedi".

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Works for me.

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Problem I think exists(not sure if its intensional or unintentional) in that I see if they start just killing Inquisitors off is that I think if Vader is losing all his Inquisitor's left and right it would reflect bad on his character, both as a teacher and in-universe to the Emperor - much the same way the Emperor would be pissed at him for botching the Death Star's protection. Even if the Inquisitor's are trained soldiers, their is still an investment and effort put into them and they serve a higher purpose in also keeping the Emperor and his Empire safe. Before they were selected they were not entirely expendable(as there as always an effort to procure then and put them into service and not be wasted needlessly) and surely not after. They're tasked with eliminating remaining Jedi Knights, converting new born Force sensitives or Jedi Knights and overall being his army of Force sensitive spies in his personal service rendering his enemies helpless against him .

Going back to the prototype stage of this class(or similar) of Sidious:

"The natural talent these children possess is too great to be wasted by the Jedi. I foresee an army of Force-talented spies in my service, trained in the dark side to peer into every corner of the galaxy from afar. And my enemies will be helpless against such vision. If the surgery fails, I will have lost nothing."

And Vader as taskmaster to them(he orders them via his Master's own command in the past the buck to manner):

The Emperor has foreseen a new threat rising against him: the children of the Force. They must not become Jedi."

"Hunt down this new enemy, and if they will not serve the Empire, eliminate them along with any surviving Jedi who would train them. This is my master's command.

24. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    Now where do you get the impression that Vader is "losing all his Inquisitors left and right"?

In the "Extended" Spark of Rebellion, Vader said:

From here I get the impression that the Inquisitors -- or particularly this one -- have been very successful in hunting down Jedi survivors.

Quizzy only had the bad luck of meeting with a particularly powerful not-really-Jedi with-a-family.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, until Ezra turned up Kanan had basically given up completely on the whole 'Jedi' thing - he was just a bandit with some basic force powers and a lightsaber he barely used. Ahsoka (if she still counts as 'Jedi') seems to have taken more of a role as spymaster/information broker than actual field operative. Even the likes of Obi-Wan and Yoda had exiled themselves rather than fight on. Any Jedi who stuck his or head above cover for long would get hunted down pretty quickly it seems.

Iron_lord likes this.