main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why did Lyra allow herself to be killed?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    But Lyra wasn't a rebel. In fact, it's possible she had no idea rebels existed, because at that point the Alliance wasn't even formed.

2. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

That would not have stopped the Rebel Alliance from honouring her as one of their own. The Women who killed Krennic. Hell even if she was in Saw's Partizan army which was a rival rebel militia they still would have praised her and Galen as heroes of Galaxy. They had just put the Death Star on halt.

3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I don't think anything too complex is needed, just a spilt second decision when she can hear Krennic isn't going to buy Galens story with the view to forcing him to leave under threat of death, maybe hold him hostage, maybe hope he backs off enough to take cover, etc.

If she wanted to kill him then why didn't she shoot right away? ultimately they'd still be taken even if Krennic were dead and we get the impression Galen is much more important to the project.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  4. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Maybe it was to avoid capture knowing that Galen would only have to worry about Jyn only.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I disagree. I don't think Krennic was that indispensable to the Empire. It was Galen who was the supposed indispensable one and who was specifically sent for when work on the Death Star had stalled. Krennic's death would have just been another relatively minor setback in the process. Had Krennic been killed then Tarkin would have either assumed that position himself earlier than he already did or would have placed an equally effective subordinate officer in that position to continue the task. Galen would have still been brought back to the Empire and the Death Star would have continued on as planned.

As far as Lyra goes, she was the wife of an Imperial Science Officer, and if she were to have succeeded in killing Krennic, without Saw, an ousted Rebel, providing any testimony about it nobody would know who she was. Plus, I think most would agree that her motives were more personal in trying to protect and save her family. It's not like she set out to aid the Rebellion and deliver some kind of crippling blow to the Empire.

6. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

Their is additional backstory to her character but in the film she is the lone assassin. Eliminating Krennic may not have been known to all the Rebel recruits the Director of a secret weapons program would most certainly have been high up the list of targets.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't disagree with that. But I think it's an overestimation to think that killing Krennic in particular would be all that crippling to the Empire and their work on the Death Star.

Also, with the way Saw had been ousted from the Alliance, it could have been a plan that he architected, but not one that the entire Rebel Council would have given the go-ahead to or even been largely aware of.

8. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

We know the partizans are a separate outfit and he was on their radar over the occupation of Jedha, Krennic oversaw the mining of the Kyber Crystals and overall responsibility for safeguarding the shipping lanes. He was no long down figure for me at least. Perhaps less well known than Tarkin even so the occupation of Jedha garnered a lot of attention across the Galaxy. A special place for believers in the force and who was in charge on that site, Orson Krennic with his mysterious project building a WMD.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  9. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Bob the X-Winger, I like to think Jedha was kept low-key to those off-world. Information about who runs what project would be kept under wraps, no?

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Desperate people do desperate things.

Blue 5 and oncafar like this.
  11. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

The project no doubt would be kept low profile however Jedha was a shrine to the Jedi Order now with that religion outlawed you would still have believers in the force heading there to fight and the obvious military buildup was a big giveaway that a secret weapons program was designed. Why else would the Empire be mining at Jedha it certainly was not to help the tourist trade.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This was the tabloid headline after he died. Also, "The Shocking Results of His Blood Tests!!!" was on the cover.

Snax Rebo, Artoo-Dion and Sarge like this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    lyra's response was completely irrational, on impulse, fearing losing her husband forever... she's acting on animal instinct. her emotions overrode her reason. in situations of life or death, or losing those one has strong emotional bonds to, this can happen... not everyone can stay cool headed in a situation like that... not to mention however long they'd been hiding and lyra had been living in fear. she'd probably been living in fear before they even escaped the empire. she seemed like someone whose nerves were shot basically.

the scene says more about krennic than her. he knows she's not in her right mind in this moment, that she can't be rational. and he has her killed. have they not heard of the stun setting?

SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  14. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

Their called Death Troopers for a reason.

LedReader likes this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    My view is that Lyra was willing to sacrifice herself in order to protect Jyn. I believe she went into that situation knowing that Krennic's altered men could take her, but she wanted to take Krennic with her. He felt that if she took him out, the troopers would not know what to do. She had this mad hope that both her husband and daughter would be free of the Empire. I admire her for that.

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  16. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    She probably refused to go no matter what, so she figured she would kill Krennic.

Watching her mom die was the first thing to crush Jyn's psyche.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  18. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    The Empire HATES him! 10 fitness tips from THIS Stormtrooper!

LedReader likes this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I still think she had an agreement with Saw to try to kill Krennic if she had the chance.

oncafar likes this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A bad idea. A desperate idea. A refusal to back down to someone she hated so much.

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if you watch closely krennic says,"do it!" and the deathtroopers fire before she gets off a kill shot. she still hits him though. nice shot if you ask me.

Gigoran Monk, EHT and Snax Rebo like this.
  22. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    but she is desperate. god. i can't imagine what i would be feeling in her place. the need to stop this from happening really could take over. i have nothing but sympathy for her.

EHT and Sarge like this.
  24. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Reading Catalyst gives you a sense of that opening scene...the desperation of Lyra was her fear of Galen's friendship with Orson. As if she feared Galen's naivety and Orson's ability to coax him back...add that to the deadly threat he posed to Lyra and Jen

oncafar and Snax Rebo like this.
  25. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Catalyst really added another layer to the film. A nice touch was having Krennic call Jyn "the child" in that scene, just like he does in the book!

outerrimjaba likes this.