main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did no one teach Luke to catch lightning???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I mean, seriously. Ben could catch it on a lightsaber. Yoda could catch it in his hands.

If you watch the movies I-VI like Lucas says to, Luke looks like (a) a total wimp for getting knocked out by something that the other guys could handle (not counting Anakin's first run-in with Dooku) or (b) way too manipulative in getting Vader to save him.

I just keep imagining Luke laying there, lightning pouring into him, thinking "No more training do you require, my ***!"

2. ani-eyes

ani-eyes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2006
    Yea the only thing luke does 2 defend himself is give Darth Vader, supposed Lord of the Sith and Master of evil a pleading look. Ok it worked, but still...

He could have at least jumped out the way :rolleyes:

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Maybe he didn't know about Force Lightening, he just stood there as Palpatine shot it into him, I don't know...

4. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Palpatine's Lightning is extremely powerful, pretty much the only guy that could absord was master Yoda. And all he taught luke, was the basics and then of course Luke was a moron and went off into the trap in ESB. He probably was taught how to catch it on his saber, but he had thrown the saber away when saying, "no I wont fight my father" etc.

5. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    I always thought he just wasn't prepared for it. In his mind, and many of the viewers minds at that time, Palpatine was a weak, old man who had no real power that could take on a young Jedi.

This was the first time anyone had seen lightning as a Dark Power. I guess the idea was that only the Emperor could make/use it. That was changed when Dooku used it but anyway, I don't think Luke had any idea it existed. Or he thought the Emperor was weak, or both. [face_thinking]

6. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Who says Luke didn't know how? The whole point was that he was surrendering himself. If he deflected the lighting, it wouldn't be much of a surrender, would it?

7. Jedi_Caesar

Jedi_Caesar Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004

I agree,Luke worked through the masterplan Yoda,Obi and Qui-Gonn came up with......So trying to deflect or even absorb lightning it isn't flawless roleplaying,Vader would've thought Luke was able to defend himself and he wouldn't be forced to throw Palpy into the reactor shaft(sumtin' like that was).....

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Why did no one teach Luke to catch Force lightning?

Because Luke ran off to Bespin to save his friends before either Yoda or Obi-wan had a chance to warn him about PalpSidious' signature power.

9. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    how did obi wan know of his power?

10. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Obi-wan knew about it when Dooku tried to shoot the lighting at him.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Because he was taught by Ben Kenobi not Ben Franklin ;)

12. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    LOL!

Of course the real reason is that Yoda never fought the emperor until Lucas decided he had have to have celebrity death matches every six minutes in the prequils. That and it would ruin the element of surprise for the audience if Yoda had said, "beware the [sith lightning] powers of the emperor..."

13. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    but that doesnt mean that he knew that sidoius had it

14. Jedi_Caesar

Jedi_Caesar Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004

Yoda probably told Obi of Emperors powers.....

15. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Come on, Obi-wan knows that Dooku would have no way of knowing how to shoot lightning from his fingertips unless he had a Sith Lord teach him how to do it which is Sidious so that would indicate to Obi-wan that if Dooku has that power, than so does Sidious.

16. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I am actually working on a Journal of Obi-wan Kenobi and I am going to put something in there about Obi-wan catching the lightning, but the info deterates over time so Luke has no knowledge of it.

17. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Good call!!!

Luke never finished his training.

When Luke came back in RotJ he asked Yoda why he did not tell him that Darth Vader was his father. I am sure this came as more than an unexpected suprize. Yoda knew that his time was short. (He died a few moments later, neither he or Obi-Wan could have trained him from the grave.) The second plan may have been that if Luke failed that Leia would have to use her military power to destroy Palpatine and Vader. However, all would be lost in trying to return Vader to the light side of the Force.

Bringing balance would have required destroying both evils.

18. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think that Luke's training was MUCH MUCH different then the Jedi of old. The RoTS novel, during the Obi-Wan/Vader battle talks about "Hours and hours of combat training and fighting side by side made the two combatants know almost everything about their fighting styles."

The old order had sparring sessions, competitions, training, etc. We saw Luke have exactely ONE lesson in combat training - the deflecting remote bolts in ANH on the Falcon. With that single exception, his training was mostly a "Feel the force...Feel the moment...use the force as your ally." I'm positive that Yoda wasn't like "And this is Soresu, a form of lightsaber combat." "This is how you duel a form V duelist." "This is the best defense against an energy attack by a Sith Lord." There was a limited time and limited resources in which to train Luke. The most important thing was to teach him how to avoid the Dark Side and how the basics of using the force worked. They did a damn good job. As the last words from Qui-Gon to Yoda in the RoTS novel stated "Love is the answer to the darkness." Yoda and Obi-Wan trained Luke well enough to get him to the point where Qui-Gon's thought could ring true.

Carnage

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I agree Carnage. Being amazing in combat can only get you so far, as the jedi found out. By the time of ROTJ, Yoda and Obiwan knew that only love and compassion could defeat the dark, and that if Luke was unable to win with those, he would ultimately be defeated, irrespective of his combat skills. If Vader hadn't turned back, he and Sidious could easily have overpowered Luke. Luke may as well just surrender himself, which is of course exactly what he did.

20. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Theres one itsy-bitsy problem unto why Luke could deflect lightning...

WHERE WOULD THEY GET LIGHTNING!?!

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yoda could've turned to the dark side just for the practice sessions.

22. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    actually in the ROTJ novelization Luke deflects the lighting for a bit, but the Emperor's lighting was too powerful, I like to think Luke held it for a couple of seconds and then the emperor over powers him.

23. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    ^^ Does it detail how he deflected it or if he was warned about it?

24. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    In the ROTJ novelization, when the Emperor begins to fry Luke, it states that Luke had never known of the Force being used in such a way. However, his intuition kicks in and he figures, "Hey, if the lightning is based upon the Force, surely I can use the Force to deflect it" (the same split-second realization that saved him from Vader's kinetite blast in Splinter of the Mind's Eye). Luke is successful in blocking the lightning, but only for a moment -- The bolts come so fast and so frequently that Luke is overwhelmed.

I agree. Additionally, the lack of training also resulted in a lack of discipline on Luke's part. In the Emperor's chamber, Luke succumbs to the temptation of the dark side twice. I feel that the knowledge of the existence of such powers accessible only via the dark side might have only served to further tempt Luke.

25. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Ah okay...thanks.

You were answering me as I was typing the question lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.