main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Obi-Wan choose to appear to Luke after he had almost become Wampa lunch?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Isn't when Luke is lying freezing to death in a pile of snow a with multiple Wampa injuries kind of an awkward moment to appear to your former apprentice and tell him that he has to go to the Dagobah system? Now you could argue, "Hey, maybe Ben has no control over when he can Force Ghost appear" but I can shenanigans on that one since Ben has appeared at incredibly convenient times before and after that ("Blow up the Death Star, Luke!" "Hey, Yoda, let poor Luke learn to be a Jedi!" "Here's that lie that I told you about Anakin Skywalker...").

Now, movie-wise, it works great - is this Luke dying and going crazy in his final moments? That makes sense. But, geez, Ben why would you tell Luke to go to the Dagobah system after he's been almost eaten alive? Can't you appear while Luke is having a hot coca or when he's changing power converters on his X-Wing or just before he ducks out to use the bathroom or something? It's not as if Luke needed to be bossed around and giving a travel plans while he's lying halfway to death in Hoth's snowfield? Besides, Han showed up literally seconds later!

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Good point. I also don't know why he waited the three years or whatever between movies. Probably should have told Luke about Yoda right after he died. Or before, considering he must have known there was a good chance he wouldn't make it out of the Death Star.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I can kinda buy that maybe Luke had to have time to develop, or maybe Yoda had to be ready, or maybe Ghost Ben was appearing at Yoda's hut every day going "train Luke." "No." "Train Luke!" "No! Too old!" But why, oh why, would be pick post-Wampa mauling to start bossing him around? Maybe Yoda finally said "Maybe" so Ghost Ben pops over to Hoth the second that happened, it just happened to be at an incredibly inconvenient time.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe it's because he was so near death, it made it possible for him to appear to Luke that first time. After that we see on Dagobah, a planet that seems to have a very strong connection to the force, and at the end of Jedi, where he is a fully fledged Jedi having completed his journey.

The near death aspect may be what opens that door. Just my own little take.

5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Perhaps he just thought it was the right time to do so, as in, he feels Luke is finally ready to train to become a Jedi.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and ILNP like this.
  6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    One possibility: it's partly to give Luke direction, partly to help Han find him. Note how Luke is motionless until Ben rouses him from unconsciousness. Luke reaches out towards Ben's fading image, which is when we first see Han on the Wampa. Is it possible that if Ben hadn't appeared, causing Luke to make a physical movement, that Han might well have rode straight past him by accident, not seeing the guy half-buried in the snow?

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's a good point. It does act to save him.

8. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps becoming a force ghost is not as easy as you guys think.
    Maybe it took him years to learn how to do that.

9. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Bad signal reception in the Wampa's cave?

We see Luke learn how to force-pull his light saber under duress in the wampa lair... In fact I think this is the first force pull we ever see on film. Maybe that was something Obi-Wan was waiting for.

10. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I like this. Plus, what is time like on the "other side"?

Also, maybe it was easier for Luke to see Obi-Wan, or for Obi-Wan to manifest to Luke, because Luke was close to death at that point.

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    because it worked well in the film :)

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Because they couldn't get the effects right in the original scene, which had Obi-Wan appearing while
    Luke was sitting on the toilet back at Echo Base.

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  13. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I always thought that Luke was struggling to properly connect with the force in any real way -

it took emotional extremity and the nearness of death to enable him to reach a spiritual catharsis powerful enough for Obi-Wan to get through to him.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, well said. The time was right for telling Luke about Yoda and Dagobah, but contacting Luke that way right then was actually just a part of saving Luke's life... which Obi-Wan helped to do using the Force and Han.

Check out this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/is-han-solo-subconsciously-force-sensitive.50011493/

Maybe the Force caused both of these threads to appear at the same time. :p

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lot of these answers work, so Han would find him since he was yelling "Ben!" and maybe Luke didn't have enough Force-Fu to actually see Ben until he had the ability to yank his lightsaber. (Of course, he was hearing Old Ben in his head when he blew up the Death Star and all but maybe him "seeing" Ben is harder than hearing him. Or, heck, maybe Luke was really one with the Force when he was blowing up the Death Star and never quite reached that again until he almost became a Wampa snack.)

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obi-Wan was partying it up too much.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    4 years of afterlife shenanigans is a hellova bender for Old Ben to be up to, don't you think?

18. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Perhaps Obi Wan had been trying to communicate with Luke all along and it took a near death experience for Luke to finally hear the call. That would be in keeping with a lot of religious experience. Maybe Obi Wan just knew that this would be a good time when he would be alone and he could get his attention. From a story telling perspective it certainly works well to place the call to adventure right there after the anxiety of his escape from the Wampa cave.

JediKnightOB1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Luke was always almost always alone or if not alone then cut off from everyone else when Obi Wan contacted him.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  20. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it was done that way to show that Luke was still unsure about the force...did he see Ben or was he just delirious from his?

......or he was just one of those 'awkward' moment type of guys

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Maybe he'd tried talking to Luke on several occasions for the past three years, but Luke was too preoccupied to listen - or he simply didn't get it.

OBI-WAN: Luke! Luke!
    LUKE: Ben? Hey, what's up?
    OBI-WAN: You must go to the-
    WEDGE: Luke! Could you give me a hand with my astromech?
    LUKE: Yeah, sure! Hang on, Ben, I gotta go help him out.

-------------------------------------------

OBI-WAN: Luke! Luke! Wake up, Luke!
    LUKE: Wha- *yawns* Ben?
    OBI-WAN: I need you to listen to me. This is very important.
    LUKE: *drowsily* Sure, Ben. What's happening?
    OBI-WAN: You must go to Dagobah. There, you will-
    LUKE: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    OBI-WAN: *sighs*

--------------------------------------------

OBI-WAN: Luke! Luke!
    LUKE: Beeeeeeeen! How are ya? Do you want a drink?
    OBI-WAN: No, thank you *rolls eyes* Luke, this is the third time I've been trying to talk to you. It is imperative that you listen to me!
    LUKE: I'm sorry, Ben, I've just been so busy. I've got time now, though. I'm all yours. What did you want to tell me?
    OBI-WAN: I want you to go to Dagobah.
    LUKE: Day-go-baa? What's that, some kind of spa?
    OBI-WAN: No, Luke, it's-
    HAN: Heeey, Luke! There you are! I've been looking for you all night! Great party, huh?
    LUKE: I should say so! You see that girl over by the jukebox?
    HAN: Yeah? Wait! You didn't...?
    LUKE: *huge grin* I did!
    HAN: You dog!
    OBI-WAN: I guess I'll come back later, then...
    LUKE: Sure thing, Ben!

So, as Luke lay there in the snow, he seized the moment!
    Seriously, though, I'd say that, given the circumstances, the idea that Luke needed to be near death has its merits. Maybe Luke hadn't been so much in tune with the Force since the battle of Yavin.
    On the other hand, it appears as though Luke has managed to learn a few things since ANH. He wouldn't have been able to do that if he hadn't been in tune with the Force.

- The Force is with you, young Skywalker!
    - I've become more powerful than any Jedi!

/LM

22. Doctor Cornelius Evazan

Doctor Cornelius Evazan Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2013
    I think, to Yoda, his strong will was proven by his survival , and Yoda gave Ben the o.k. to to send Luke to him. Yoda was always skeptical of Luke. He was still feeling him out. Once Ben got the o.k. he spoke to him as soon as possible to strengthen his will to survive.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I think it was in part Lucas foreshadowing the reason why Luke had to go to Dagobah.

24. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    this makes sense

25. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012