main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Obi Wan give up the fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, I guess so.

Luke surely didn't want to leave Obi Wan, but if Obi Wan tells him to go, Han and Leia also drag him on he would change his idea.

2. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    I keep reading the post and Luke would have never left if Obi-Wan was still alive, But at the end he runs toward the stormtroopers direction. S0 i was thinking maybe
    Lukes and A****** he would have stayed if Obi-Wan was still alive and would have stayed if Obi-Wan didn't tell him to "Run Luke Run" . What i've come to the conclusion of is that Luke wanted to stay no matter what he would have sacrificed Han and Leia's life if Obi-Wan didn't say anything. LOL

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    As has already been pointed out, I'm fairly confident he sacrificed himself in order to secure Luke's escape. He had spent years watching over Luke and making sure he was safely hidden. The period of hiding had come to an end, and Obi-Wan died to ensure Luke could get away to safety.

Also, through the lens of the prequels, this act is totally in line with the prequel-era Jedi philosophy of selfless and detachment. Obi-Wan's last moment of life was a shining example of what was good about the old Jedi order.

4. LordGarthNader

LordGarthNader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if Vader took Ben's cloak and put it on. "Who's got the high ground NOW?" "Hey Tarkin look at me...I'm a Jedi again..."

DarthRelaxus and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  5. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    When Kenobi said "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" I think it means that by having Vader kill him in plain sight of Luke instills in Luke a deep desire to avenge Ben and plants the seeds for Luke's initial desire to confront Vader. Basically i think it served the purpose of making Luke hate Vader and thus (once trained by Yoda) have the skills and the desire to confront him.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say this thread's just about reached it's end. Lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.